Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
sealed running light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Does anyone know for sure how to remove the colored lenses on late model LED running lights. a couple of mine have a little moisture condensed on the inside and I'd like to dry them out. It looks like they might just pop off the base, but I don't want to break anything.

Thanks.
That light is a sealed light that comes in two parts. The base and the sealed LED top (sLEDt). If water get in there it is because it has a broken seal. I'm guessing one could drill a hole in the back of the LED top (sLEDt) to get the moisture out and then reseal it. Most of the time the moisture get in there via the place were the wires go into the (sLEDt).

Getting it off------There are two generations of this light. The first one had plastic L-shaped tabs (see 2airishuman picture in this thread)and the 2nd generation had metal clips that would allow you to pop it on and off. Both generations ( G1 & G2) will interface with each other. In other words if you have G1 on your unit and you buy a replacement in G2 ( all you can get now) if will work on your base so that you will not have to take your base off of your unit.
When the G1's L-shaped tabs break, the light can be glued back to the base but if you have to do more repairs later on the whole light and base will have to be replaced if you use a permanent glue. I have seen where a small amount of silicon worked fine as one of the tabs was still on there. Some of the repair centers who get this light from me, use the silicon on the G2 from the start. On a flat surface the light base works well but a little tweak from the round body of the Airstream may not allow a good firm snap.

The gasket that 2airishuman talked about was to keep the plastic light base from scratching the finish and allowing the corrosion to get under the finish of the Airstream. It may well keep out water. Time will tell.

Getting the G1 (sLEDt) off without breaking the plastic tab can be done because 2airishuman did it in his picture. If you try it and it breaks you will be gluing it back on.