Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
the BUFF kitchen sink

Hi - I searched the form on this topic and hope I did not miss good info already posted. I'd like to reuse my SS kitchen sink but want to buff up the surface to remove 20yrs of scratches. Are there tips for doing this well RE compounds, buffing wheels etc? Or is it best to just spend $100 for a new SS sink? I've seen fiberglass sinks with color added but dont know how durable these are. POR paint is another option but we drop things into the sink now and then. Putting in new countertop so we want a really buff sink to coincide.
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
This thread shows how to install an undermount sink as a top mount. The sink was the right size and price--hard to find a small sink that is this deep. Plus the drain hole is in the back, not the middle.

The sink is still $52.

Zep
Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I "refinished" my home stainless sink before I installed a new faucet by simply wet sanding (using water flowing over sand paper to keep grit clear) the sink with 400 grit wet/dry emery paper. It left a nice even satin finish. If you have heavy scratching you could use a more course 150 grit to sand those out and then use the 400 grit to sand out the 150 scratches.

Additionally, if you "directionally" sand you can leave a "brushed" effect.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
I "refinished" my home stainless sink before I installed a new faucet by simply wet sanding (using water flowing over sand paper to keep grit clear) the sink with 400 grit wet/dry emery paper. It left a nice even satin finish. If you have heavy scratching you could use a more course 150 grit to sand those out and then use the 400 grit to sand out the 150 scratches.

i did that one time and it realy looked nice.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post

Makes sense - would auto rubbing compound and a power buffer work too or is that too fine a compound. Any day using a power tool is a good one.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
This thread shows how to install an undermount sink as a top mount. The sink was the right size and price--hard to find a small sink that is this deep. Plus the drain hole is in the back, not the middle.

The sink is still $52.

Zep
Very nice work - and skillful. About that birch countertop - was it 3/4 with the veneer? One option we considered was 3/4 with oak veneer but worry about denting or warping... and advice there?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
Makes sense - would auto rubbing compound and a power buffer work too or is that too fine a compound. Any day using a power tool is a good one.
If you go any finer than 400 grit your starting to "polish" the sink which is going to have metal utensils, pots and pans in it which will "un-polish" it; probably would be unproductive to go finer than 400 grit.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
Very nice work - and skillful. About that birch countertop - was it 3/4 with the veneer? One option we considered was 3/4 with oak veneer but worry about denting or warping... and advice there?
No, it's half inch birch with 7/8" cherry edge. I don't think you have to worry about plywood warping, particularly once it's installed. I've had some big sheets curve in one direction when sitting in the shop for a long period, but they will flatten when screwed down to the cabinets.

Zep
Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Cid,
We also reinstalled the original SS sink in our AS after reno. We used scotchbright with a quick once-over to get rid of the scratches and black marks and it did a decent job. I am sure we could have gotten some finer grade wool and gotten less swirling and a shinier finish but we were happy with the results for our use. We also have done this with our kitchen sink to freshen it up.

Before:

After:
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Add some "Soft Scrub with Bleach" will really help. It does a great job.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Get yourself some Barkeeper's Friend, or other stainless steel cleaner and you can clean the sink up nicely without a buffer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote