Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thetford Aria Deluxe II

The toilet that came with my trailer is the Thetfored Bravura low profile model. I'd like to upgrade it to a high profile toilet and have looked at the Aria Deluxe II on line.
It appears that it would fit in the space, but I'd like to know if any of you with a later model 27 FB have upgraded to the Aria, and, were there any problems with fit or with installation of the unit?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Well, I guess nobody has installed one of these toilets in their late model FB yet looking at all the responses I've received. And as I have found out there is a good reason for it. Cost vs toilet.

I've been pricing out the Aria Deluxe II and it looks like with $700 I could buy one today. Wow, the sticker shock! Ya, I can get sticker shock over a $700.00 thrown.

I'll probably look a little more for something under the $400.00 range. Maybe even consider another Bravura, but the high one.

Any suggestions on a good model thrown for a 27FB?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
_

. , .
discussing toilets is a crappy topic...

changing toilets is a crappy job,

and picking a model is a crap shoot,

since it is messy to take them out for a test sitting and flush.

but an automatically flushing, electrically powered throne?

no thanks, that's got robin williams meets lucy disaster written all over it.

the high profile/low profile thing is largely a knee/hip issue.

at 17 inches the taller units are a bit easier for squatting IF yer hips and knees are old...

or the user is tall or plump.

the high profile models put MORE stress on the mounting bolts, ring and doughnut.

IF you want taller go taller, many inexpensive rv heads come in either low /high heights.

occasionally LOW profile is used where the tank/platform is elevated already.

pedal position matters, some a/s locations only work with a front pedal and others floor plans work best with side pedals.

along with price it's important to understand HOW to change the seals and gaskets...

since they all will eventually leak water and or odors.

for example the model in the title must be completely removed and FLIPPED over just to change the bowl seal.

others models simply require removing the bowl only 2get2 the ball valve/seal...

parts availability is also an issue, think twice about buying a throne with key bits that aren't widely available.
________

an RV toilet is a small seat with a hole and trap door cover over a wet tank, and not much else.

incinerator, composting, cassette and so on are genuine innovations in crappers,

but most of the 'improved' water based models are all about selling the sizzle not the steak...

this catch phrase is easily modified to fit the rv toilet as a product,

and i can think of several ways that cliche fits here,

but they are all low profile punz ...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for taking the time to answer this crappy thread and also for the advice.
I'll have to work with the numbers to see what fits the best in the given space keeping in mind your comments about part availability and ease of installing those pieces when needed. That is something that never entered my mind.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Bluto -

We installed the Sealand Traveler in our 2008 27FB. The fit was VERY tight at the rear of the toilet. Because these trailers seem to have some level of variation in the dimensions inside, I would recommend you measure carefully from the toilet flange to the wall to make sure the toilet you select will fit.

We have been very happy with the Traveler. It's a china bowl which seems to be easier to keep clean.

I don't think we paid but around $150 for ours but to be honest, I can't really remember.

Installation was pretty simple. I spent about 30-45 minutes pulling the old unit, cleaning up the routing of the plumbing of the water supply and putting the new one in.
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
When I had my 98 excella, I had a 3 inch spacer installed that goes between the floor and toilet. I got it for about $30.00 from CW This was 3 years ago. It sure helped with my hip replacement.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
...I'll have to work with the numbers to see what fits the best in the given space keeping in mind your comments about part availability and ease of installing those pieces when needed. That is something that never entered my mind.
Check out the Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus at PPL in Houston - starting at about 200 bucks.

Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus on Sale

I installed one in the Sovereign - see the thread in my signature line.

Pay close attention to my recommendation about "clocking" the throne - created a bunch more space in my case.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Wayner61,
I'll have to take a look at Sealand models online and check fitment specs.

Airtandem,
I've seen those bases, but don't think it would work with my current style thrown as the current one has a large oval base. I'll have to check those out anyway to make sure.

87MH,
Enjoyed reading your restore thread about your Sovereign, you did a great job restoring it. And thanks for the link about the sale. Glad you mentioned the "clocking" of the unit.