Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
PEX and toilet supply line question

I replaced my copper with PEX, but I haven't figured out what I need (connectors and tubing) for the water supply line to the toilet. One thing to note, I am using the Shark Bite brand of connectors on all the PEX. I thought I could use one of these with a braided, flexible tube for the water line, but they don't fit together. I guess then my question is, how do I connect the PEX to the braided line? Or, is there another solution?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
You need to get yourself some clear plastic hose and white barbed fittings from a plumbing supply. I ran into the same thing myself. I think home depot may carry all the stuff you need. Also grab some metal screw down hose clamps.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You can buy a Shark Bite with a built in shutoff. Connect a standard braided metal line for the toilet to one side and slide the PEX to the other.

Works great I used one last week I bought it at a local hardware store.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
That sounds like a better setup then mine. Those fancy shark bite connectors werent available when I did mine. I think they are worth every penny.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I replaced my copper with PEX, but I haven't figured out what I need (connectors and tubing) for the water supply line to the toilet. One thing to note, I am using the Shark Bite brand of connectors on all the PEX. I thought I could use one of these with a braided, flexible tube for the water line, but they don't fit together. I guess then my question is, how do I connect the PEX to the braided line? Or, is there another solution?
Almost every common RV toilet uses a 1/2" FPT or MPT fitting at the water entry (generally MPT). If you are using 1/2" PEX and the associated Shark Bite fittings, then they have one that terminates with a 1/2" MPT thread. The big box stores and ACE Hardware carry braided steel hose with both ends terminating in 1/2" FPT, which will match perfectly. The suggestion of using the Shark Bite shut-off valve is a sound one. Terminate the PEX with this valve, add another short piece with the 1/2" MPT fitting, then the braided SS hose up to the toilet water inlet and you're done!

BTW, FPT = female pipe thread and MPT = male pipe thread.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Almost every common RV toilet uses a 1/2" FPT or MPT fitting at the water entry (generally MPT). If you are using 1/2" PEX and the associated Shark Bite fittings, then they have one that terminates with a 1/2" MPT thread. The big box stores and ACE Hardware carry braided steel hose with both ends terminating in 1/2" FPT, which will match perfectly. The suggestion of using the Shark Bite shut-off valve is a sound one. Terminate the PEX with this valve, add another short piece with the 1/2" MPT fitting, then the braided SS hose up to the toilet water inlet and you're done!

BTW, FPT = female pipe thread and MPT = male pipe thread.
OK, I will try this. What is the reason for the "shut off valve" though versus a similar valve that doesn't have a shut off feature?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The shut off valve I used eliminates one SB connection.

The steel braided line has 1/2 NPT on one end to toilet and 1/4 that screws onto the SB. "

So you have;

PEX water line......SB shut off......steel braided line......toilet.

Garry
Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Make sure you check the size of the fitting on your toilet. The fitting on the new one I installed was bigger than standard home toilets. Cause me an extra trip to ACE. I added a shut off valve but I was using crimp fittings instead of Shark Bite.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I haven't seen a shark bite ball valve with the pex on one end, and threaded on the other (?); only pex-pex...and they were very expensive, as ball-valves run.
I was going to ask about transitioning from the 1/2 lines to the faucets...Sharkbite has tees, but they're like 10 bucks a piece. so I'd want to keep the SB fittings to a minimum. My thought is to use them sparingly, in such a way that sections of plumbing that are difficult to reach can be easily removed when (notice I didn't say "if") something like a pressure regulator or check valve fails. (or, something springs a leak).
Most of my bathroom plumbing is damn-near impossible to access.

anyway, wondering if they make a crimp-style tee that is pex-1/2"mpt-pex.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Make sure you check the size of the fitting on your toilet. The fitting on the new one I installed was bigger than standard home toilets. Cause me an extra trip to ACE. I added a shut off valve but I was using crimp fittings instead of Shark Bite.
Like I said, 1/2" FPT on BOTH SIDES of the steel braided line.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Pictures please! To me, a picture says it all! A lot of what you are describing may as well be Greek

Thanks in advance. Have to correct leaky pex from toilet by either replacing with correct connections, or tightening copper compression fittings.
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
thanks for the tip, lewster. it worked. only problem: i must've cross-threaded when when i attached the braided line to the toilet. it's on crooked. i removed it and tried 5 more times. crooked. all times. it screwed all the way on. just crooked. i'm hoping this doesn't mean a leak. have to wait until i finish the the rest of the system to check it.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Those toilet connections can look crooked, because of your viewing angle......(I've experienced that phenomenon)......if it felt good when it went on you're probably OK.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Because I am a plumbing idiot tell me this- for 1/2" Pex to the trailer sinks ( 4" spread faucets) you need a 1/2" to ? connector.
To the shower and toilet 1/2" to ? same question.
AND coming in from the outside city water connection ? to 1/2". This will make my life a bit easier when I go the bog box to get pex Sharkbite or similar connectors.
Thanks guys
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
I'm thinking that the easiest thing would be to use those braided flex-lines for the faucet risers as well as the toilet. They have female threaded ends, of various sizes and combinations. They come with compression threads, 1/2", and 3/8ths at least...perhaps even more combinations.

So, however your pex run terminates, the fitting on the end could be pex->1/2fpt. Then thread a flex line of the appropriate length that has 1/2" threaded on each end.

for the inlet: it depends on how your trailer is configured. Mine was set up to use a standard household drop-ear elbow, which is what is typically used for the shower riser pipe in your house. the shower pipe goes up from the tub/shower faucet inside the wall...on the top of it, there is this "elbow", which has "ears" on it for nailing to a cross piece between the studs, with the threaded hole facing into the shower. the chrome shower (male threaded on both ends) threads into that, and the shower head goes on the other end.
Anyway, the inlet uses that same elbow, only upside-down. Ears are screwed to the frame rail, just under the street side corner, and the pipe goes straight up into a hole in the banana wrap, and up into the trailer.
Instead of a chrome shower pipe, you thread a female garden hose fitting>1/2" mpt into the elbow.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
here is a pic of the original inlet:

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...&imageuser=291

I've replaced this w/ a pex elbow and pex line running up into the trailer, but don't have a pic of it.

the garden hose fitting may only come with female 1/2" fitting on the other end. I seem to remember coupling it to the elbow with a 1/2" threaded nipple, which you wouldn't be able to see in the pic.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
That helps, thanks..
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
working on this now..just got my crimper and rings..
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Anyone tell me why the toilet has 3 water lines? Just wondering..
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Nobody likes to talk about toilets
AIR #005