Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Fusion for Plastic

Does anyone know about this product "Fusion for plastic"? It comes in many colors and say's it's a no prep product. I think I would be a fool to not prep any surface I was planning to paint but that's what is says.

"The revolutionary no-prep, superbond Fusion for Plastic® now makes painting plastic possible."
  • No sanding or priming required
  • Bonds easily to most plastics, PVC, resin and more
  • Fully dry; fully dry after 7 days
I was thinking about using it on the tub and sink area. Fool? Not Fool?
Any a this.. ah ringin a bell?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
I used it on my plastic lawn chairs about three years ago and they still look nice. I did wash them with a pressure washer and let them dry before I painted them. They have been outside all this time in snow and rain.

Ms. Lou
bolou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
I have been thinking about painting my Camco rigid plastic propane cover with Fusion paint. Has anyone tried this?

I was thinking about riveting/glueing on some aluminum flashing to the flat areas to create a less expensive version of the Airstream Aluminum tank cover.

Any thoughts? What color paint should I use?
trevisgardne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I used the Fusion paint on the shelf area and tambour over the gaucho. You can read about it here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...&postcount=591 and over the next few posts. I wouldn't use it on the bath tub and sink, tho. Look at a two part epoxy like the stuff that the POR-15 people sell. Your local paint/hardware store may also carry a 2 part epoxy that is a bit cheaper and easier to get. The bathroom is the next thing on my list, so I'm about to do the same thing as you.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I used it on my new AC cover, see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ead-40795.html. Brand new plastic cleaned with alcohol. Got mixed results, tended to kind of wrinkle up on repeated coats, and never did completely smooth out. It's not noticeable from the ground, though.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Used it on lawn furniture two years ago. Furniture was old and not easy to clean. Used Windex, dried and painted. It still looks perfect.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I used Fusion on a Power Wheels Jeep a few years ago. It started out red, but the sun bleached it to pink (another story for another time). I painted it white, and the paint job lasted at least until we moved (it was still white at the time, about 3 years after painting).
Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I did all the plastic in the bathroom in my Argosy. The tub , sink and wall behind the toilet about 3 years ago. I sanded everything with 220 paper real good to get all the surface roughed up. So far its like new everywhere but a small spot where the soap sits at the sink. I probably didn't get the groves sanded as good there. I would use this again anytime.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

I used the two part fixture paint on my bathroom tub and sink. Seems to be sticking good but did not turn out as smooth as I had hoped. I do plan on trying the Krylon Fusion Textured Shimmer on the end caps. The can does not mention fiberglass but their web site does -

"Krylon® Fusion applies easily to a broad range of plastic surfaces including ABS, PVC, polypropylene, polyethylene, fiberglass and rubber. It also can be used with excellent results on wood and metal, so it is ideal for color-coordinating multiple surfaces…"
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Does anyone know about this product "Fusion for plastic"?

Above is the plastic (not the sink or countertop) painted with Fusion in the '78 31' Sovereign thread.

Below is the endcap from the Cracked Interior Endcap thread.

And here is a link to the Painting plastic front and bath ceiling in an Argosy thread.

Don't think I would try it on the counter or sink, though. Other people have had success with the two part products.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Sorry...but to clarify ....Are you saying you did all the plastic in your Argosy bath with "Fusion Plastic Paint"? (Tub Shower Etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I did all the plastic in the bathroom in my Argosy. The tub , sink and wall behind the toilet about 3 years ago. I sanded everything with 220 paper real good to get all the surface roughed up. So far its like new everywhere but a small spot where the soap sits at the sink. I probably didn't get the groves sanded as good there. I would use this again anytime.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Does Fusion come in cans for brushing or spray rigs/ air brush setups etc.? Or is it only in the aerosol spray cans?

Also has anyone used the pump up aerosol "cans"/jars where you add the air to the container with either a pump or maybe a cartridge ? (can not recall which way the device is charged).

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote