Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
This sailor thinks you've made a wise decision.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
This sailor thinks you've made a wise decision.
Aye aye, cap'n.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Really a shame you could not come up with a way to make it work. Sure would have looked sharp.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hang a picture on the wall, with the caption: "My other toilet is a . . . . "

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Really a shame you could not come up with a way to make it work. Sure would have looked sharp.
I know, I'm kinda bummed - plus it would've made a killer story to brag about my creative recycling skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Hang a picture on the wall, with the caption: "My other toilet is a . . . . "

Maybe I'll be brave (bored?) enough to build a custom mahogany seat for whatever I wind up with... or cast a vintage-looking pedal in aluminum.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
There you go - make a mahogany seat and cover for the RV model and varnish it up real pretty and you'll still have a loo to be admired, just not quite as cool as a polished bronze marine head.

BTW, buy the water saver option too if you get the Dometic. It's essentially a spray wand like you find at a kitchen sink and using it to clear the bowl when flushing results in much lower fresh water usage. After having mine for a while I now believe that all toilets should be equipped with this simple accessory because having a ready source of fresh water when cleaning the bowl is exceedingly handy.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
I know, I'm kinda bummed - plus it would've made a killer story to brag about my creative recycling skills.

Maybe I'll be brave (bored?) enough to build a custom mahogany seat for whatever I wind up with... or cast a vintage-looking pedal in aluminum.
Definitely!

Make that mahogany seat.

Then, for the rest of your new throne:

You'll really have a conversation piece.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
RV systems are designed to push water in and out of the toilet, whereas the hand pumps in these marine heads aren't.
You've got it just backwards (if I understand what you're saying).

RV toilets operate like a glorified outhouse - the waste falls from the bowl into the tank below when the foot valve is opened and pressurized water is allowed in to clean the bowl. An RV toilet hooked up to an elevated water tank could be used to make a nicer outhouse.

Study the photo of the Blakes Baby to understand how a marine head works. The baby has separate pumps for flush water and waste ejection so it's operating functions are easily seen.

The T handle of the flush water pump when pulled upward draws flush water into that pump. A downward push pumps the water into the bowl.

The black handle of the waste ejection pump when pulled upward draws the waste and flush water mix from the bowl into the ejection pump. A downward push pumps the waste mix into the holding tank.

In the W-C head that you have, the two pumps have been replaced with one pump for both functions. The two different functions happen according to the position of the foot valve when the handle is operated. That's why it's possible to get fresh water contamination with that head since it was designed to use sea water for flushing rather than potable water. All marine heads operate using these two functions but there is a wide variety across models in the implementation.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
In the W-C head that you have, the two pumps have been replaced with one pump for both functions... That's why it's possible to get fresh water contamination with that head since it was designed to use sea water for flushing rather than potable water.
I Gotcha - yes, that's what I was trying to say, but butchered it. I have no interest in adding a separate water supply, incorporating a backflow preventer so we don't get waste in the fresh tank, or any other options to try and reinvent this head.

It's on eBay and will hopefully find a happy home in a charming old boat... right where it belongs.