Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
2014 flying cloud toilet issue

I am having an issue with the toilet that I cannot figure out. When you flush or add water to the bowl a significant amount of water comes out of an exterior drain line just left of grey water drain valve. I have attached a picture to try to show what happens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468968193.001245.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	267267

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
greg this is a long shot but in our 20 the thru drains like in the picture are all low point drains. This is white which is cold supply. Hot is red. Maybe one got opened inadvertently when moving items around inside. I presume you're on FW not city water. Flush the toilet and the pump comes on.

Does this also happen when you open the vanity faucet? Is here a similar but red thru drain within few inches?

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good call, Bob.

Greg can you give us more background? Using water from tank or city hookup? How long has this been happening? Did you just turn on the water systems in the trailer after the winter? What is your experience with the trailer in general . . . etc.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks for your help! It happens on city water or with the pump, but only with the commode not the sink.

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Thanks for your help! It happens on city water or with the pump, but only with the commode not the sink.
How long have you owned this trailer and did this just start? Crazy! Please see other questions in Post #3. Could there be a new leak between the toilet valve and the lines to the inside of the toilet, and the water you see is coming out of some kind of drain through the underbody aluminum skin (if there even is such a thing)? This is your 2014 30' right? Still under warranty? Have you called the dealer?

Does water also run inside the toilet when you depress the flush lever, or just out the tube as shown in your first post?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
greg, while the bedroom/bunks may be different in the attached, I expect the plumbing isn't. So to confirm the drain is drivers side under the vanity toilet. maybe a pic looking up?

is there a red drain protruding from the floor in the area and did you confirm that low point drains are closed? my manual pg 18-8 doesn't list the 30's

to reiterate peter's ? " Does water also run inside the toilet when you depress the flush lever, or just out the tube as shown in your first post?" IMO...I think this is key.

Maybe turn off the supply to the toilet and try vanity, then the reverse, vanity off and flush. What happens? Long shot but since the shower is across the hall...same delio. Try to isolate the supply (vanity, toilet, shower). Maybe check the pump.

Is the CW of when testing the pump function?

If your heading S, Sutton is the dealer in Eugene hr plus E of Florence/hwy 101. Wilbur is the svc manager. Not that I pull any weight but he will recognize my name for the referral. They have done right by me. wbrown@suttonrv.com 5413422993

There s a dealer in Portland A549
AIRSTREAM ADVENTURES NORTHWEST
19360 SE McLoughlin Boulevard
Gladstone, OR 97027
503-496-3162
Fax: 503-723-5130
Ted Davis
TT / TC

keep us informed of your status

...And of course direction so we can bury you with a plethora of oregon coast recommendations ...like the Wallowa's if your heading east
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 30'FC.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	267309   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-18 manual LP drains.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	267310  

Old 07-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks so much for the insight and recommendation for service! As to the question is any water going into the toilet bowl, the answer is yes. If I were guessing 3/4 running out onto the ground and 1/4 into the toilet bowl. It's as if there is a valve partially closed, but I cannot find it.
Thanks again!
Greg

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Greg,

This may be no help but on my trailer there is a hose like that draining just a portion of the piping that the low point drains cannot drain. Inside the trailer is a valve that must be closed during normal use. Look inside and see if you can find such a valve.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Greg,

This may be no help but on my trailer there is a hose like that draining just a portion of the piping that the low point drains cannot drain. Inside the trailer is a valve that must be closed during normal use. Look inside and see if you can find such a valve.
Larry
Thanks. The 2014 FC30 owner's manual has the drain valve locations on p. 83/114 of this PDF:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...gcloud2014.pdf

where it says:

"The 30 ft. Front Bed model has two low-point drain valves accessed by removing the rear dinette seat cushion and reaching through the hole cut in the seat bottom. It has the fresh water tank drain, a white petcock, on the exterior tank pan under the trailer"

I don't see any mention of the additional valve, but Greg look around inside the head near the toilet, for any small access doors/panels which may be hiding such a valve. Under the sink vanity perhaps, if the floor plan for your bunk model is accurate on p. 30/114 of the PDF manual linked above?

Or under the pantry to the left of the stove maybe? What exterior storage areas are close to the hose which is leaking? Our FC20 units have some low point drains accessible in the rear exterior storage area.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 07-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The following post seems to refer to the hidden extra valve as a toilet bypass valve. Click on the ">" arrow to go to that thread.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I have a 2014 bunk so my pump should be in the same location as yours. Remove a few of the small drawers and there should be access. You need to get down there anyway because there is a hidden bypass valve for the toilet. Mine was under the air duct to the right if I recall correctly.

And I blew out the lines then added antifreeze with the pump. First year took me a while. This year I had a helper and it only took 45 min max.

Greg, are there drawers at the bottom of the curbside wardrobe near the bunk beds, and is your pump located under there? Not sure if your floor plan actually matches what the PDF shows . . .
Old 07-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
When you flush or add water to the bowl a significant amount of water comes out of an exterior drain line just left of grey water drain valve.
I tend to read things quite literally, so I apologize in advance.

When you say "or add water to the bowl", I initially interpreted that to mean that you dumped water into the toilet from a source other than the trailer fresh water system. Such as a bucket of water.

When we go into black tank savings mode, we tend to flush with a cup of water, so using something other than the trailer plumbing to flush is not foreign to us. Hence my literal interpretation.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
This may not be related to your issue but I believed PharmGeek had a similar problem .
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks. The 2014 FC30 owner's manual has the drain valve locations on p. 83/114 of this PDF:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...gcloud2014.pdf

where it says:

"The 30 ft. Front Bed model has two low-point drain valves accessed by removing the rear dinette seat cushion and reaching through the hole cut in the seat bottom. It has the fresh water tank drain, a white petcock, on the exterior tank pan under the trailer.

I don't see any mention of the additional valve, but Greg look around inside the head near the toilet, for any small access doors/panels which may be hiding such a valve. Under the sink vanity perhaps, if the floor plan for your bunk model is accurate on p. 30/114 of the PDF manual linked above?

Peter

Peter thanks for the correct page 81-15 vs 8-18). I inadvertently picked up the water heater bypass drain and not the LP drains.

Thanks too for the tip " Click on the ">" arrow "

Bob
Old 07-21-2016, 03:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCan View Post
This may not be related to your issue but I believed PharmGeek had a similar problem .
Thanks for the lead.

Greg, maybe try these threads, as the yellow-handled valve for this bypass seems to be located differently according to the varied 30' floor plans:

PharmGeek in Post #3 -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ve-127687.html

And these quotes may help: [click on ">" to go to thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I have a 2014 bunkhouse - on mine it's just behind the hot water tank - it's a yellow handled valve you rotate

Not sure about your unit though
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I'm pretty sure it's under the lavatory sink (the bottom cabinet that does not have a handle but that does have a hinge.) It's the yellow valve as PharmGeek mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I would bet a few bucks that low point drain is open

Go outside behind the wheels just ahead if the dump valves - there will be a small PVC tube pointing staight down - have someone inside hold the flush button and watch water come out - if it does that's your problem -

The dealers winterize and leave it open - finding that valve is a trick - must find water pump - it's near it
Old 07-21-2016, 03:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- In the future you may find the following Bunkhouse thread useful:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ad-109040.html

Good luck!

Peter
Old 07-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
It's as if there is a valve partially closed, but I cannot find it.
Thanks again!
Greg
As Larry said, if it is a low point drain (and that's where I'm putting my money), the valve should be completely closed, not open.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thanks so much for the insight and recommendation for service! As to the question is any water going into the toilet bowl, the answer is yes. If I were guessing 3/4 running out onto the ground and 1/4 into the toilet bowl. It's as if there is a valve partially closed, but I cannot find it.
Thanks again!
Greg
Any luck finding that yellow-handled hidden valve for the toilet water line?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Could you update us on this please? Curious if you found the valve . . .

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Thanks again!
Greg