Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Pissed

Just picked my AS from dealer for some warranty work, included was floor shims for a squeak. I won't discuss the burner valves that were left on draining my Lp tank and setting off alarm while I was happily driving down road. My issue now is when I got to sons place and tried the water internal, tank was empty. Fair since they had to drop it to shim floor. Filled up tank, pump runs faucets sputter no matter how long they're open. Tank was full to spilling out fill inlet. Called dealer today, service mgr on leave for a week. Talked with number two, told me to check inlet screen. I did this evening, it looks new as it should, nothing in screen, reinstalled and tightened. Same mess. It's like it's sucking air, but I don't have a clue where to start or how to isolate. I may take it back to them to fix but it's 3 hrs there and back. FYI all faucets, toilet, and outside shower sputter. Hot water side same thing. Shore water works as expected. It clears air in lines and runs normally.
Interesting thing about the pump is it's extremely quiet now. It was noisy before dealer visit.
Any ideas I can try on the road appreciated

DBLee and Southern Belle on the road
Old 11-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
This is a common issue and something the manual doesn't address. There are numerous threads on this subject but I'll give you some suggestions here. It's all about air in the system.

1. Connect water to city water inlet. Run each faucet and toilet one at a time, both hot and cold water side, until all air is expelled. Then shut them off. If hot water tank is empty, you'll hear it gurgling as it fills.
2. Disconnect city water, fill fresh water tank.
3. Turn on water pump. Let it run for maybe a minute, hopefully it stops sooner.
4. Open each faucet again, one at a time until stream is steady.

If you can't get the pump to stop, or the water streams to be steady, then you have some air in the pipe on the inlet side of the pump. What worked for me was to disconnect the pipe on the tank side of the screen in line filter (after turning off the pump). I used a turkey baster to suck some water up from the tank, then connected the line again. Everything worked fine.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have had two 25FB's over the last ten plus years. We have camped in them extensively (1,800 nights/160,000 miles). Our experience with the fresh water pump has been, sometimes it's quiet, sometimes it's noisy. Sometimes the water gurgles, sometimes it doesn't. Most often, it gets the job done sufficiently to operate.

Use the trailer. Things usually work out. Don't obsess over the meaningless. Enjoy the journey.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrez View Post
This is a common issue and something the manual doesn't address. There are numerous threads on this subject but I'll give you some suggestions here. It's all about air in the system.

1. Connect water to city water inlet. Run each faucet and toilet one at a time, both hot and cold water side, until all air is expelled. Then shut them off. If hot water tank is empty, you'll hear it gurgling as it fills.

2. Disconnect city water, fill fresh water tank.

3. Turn on water pump. Let it run for maybe a minute, hopefully it stops sooner.

4. Open each faucet again, one at a time until stream is steady.

If you can't get the pump to stop, or the water streams to be steady, then you have some air in the pipe on the inlet side of the pump. What worked for me was to disconnect the pipe on the tank side of the screen in line filter (after turning off the pump). I used a turkey baster to suck some water up from the tank, then connected the line again. Everything worked fine.

I'll try tomorrow but am not optimistic. Thx for your help.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Try putting some water in the strainer to prime the pump
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I'll try tomorrow but am not optimistic. Thx for your help.

Another method using a shop-vacuum: Place a finger over the small vent-screen beside the fresh-water filler, and place the shop vacuum's large hose in the exhaust of the shop vacuum and use it to pressurize the fresh-water-tank-filler while the pump runs and a faucet is open. This will help prime-the-pump and vacate the lines of air. (I hope it's obvious the fresh water tank must be full of fresh water for this to be of any benefit.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:34 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
sounds like the pump is sucking air from the water line that goes from tank to pump inlet,
since they dropped tank hose is now leaking air ?. have a local rv shop check it out if the tank has to be dropped to fix take it back to first shop for them fix.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
sounds like the pump is sucking air from the water line that goes from tank to pump inlet,
since they dropped tank hose is now leaking air ?. have a local rv shop check it out if the tank has to be dropped to fix take it back to first shop for them fix.

I'm thinking same thing.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hopefully, the pump is just air-locked. I think if the dealership had left a line off to the tank, you would have fresh water leaking out from under the trailer nearly as fast as you put it in.
Sometimes, it just requires a little patience, which is probably in short supply in your trailer about now. Check any suction lines you can, to make sure there are no kinks keeping the pump from pulling the water from the tank.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Update. Can't wait to talk with service manager. After pulling screen off for a second time and seeing nothing I traced line back to the tank outlet. In line is. Ui I disconnect, the type you push the lines in. Thought you show never use them on a suction side. Anyway I released the upper line and reconnected. Then the lower line. It was almost disengaged. Pulled it out and reinserted. Just turned pump on and opened a faucet and it quickly pushed the air out and ran normally. All this grief could have been avoided if tech would have ops cked the water system after reinstalling tank. Ok, I'm taking a breadth. Thx for inputs

Old 11-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have had two 25FB's over the last ten plus years. We have camped in them extensively (1,800 nights/160,000 miles). Our experience with the fresh water pump has been, sometimes it's quiet, sometimes it's noisy. Sometimes the water gurgles, sometimes it doesn't. Most often, it gets the job done sufficiently to operate.

Use the trailer. Things usually work out. Don't obsess over the meaningless. Enjoy the journey.

Brian
If they are on the road and don't have city water hookup and can't get water flowing to any fixtures via the pump...I wouldn't call that obsessing over the meaningless
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote