Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is there any way to add a wire...

Putting in a new Atwood water heater to replace the burned one. I ordered the gas-electric model. I need another lead from the WH up to the switch in the bathroom for the relay for the electric heat element.
How does Airstream run the wires through the wall? do they go through grommets in the ribs or just bare cutouts? Are the wires fastened in the wall?
One thought is, could I use one of the existing wires to pull through 2 new wires in it place? Sounds risky. Can anybody who has had the interior skin off comment on the wiring?
Currently I am thinking of putting a male plug on the electric element and powering it with an extension cord with a breaker and GFI. Do not want the 12 amp load from the WH on the trailer 30 amp circut anyway. I will run a 12 volt switch for the relay and put the 12 volt switch in the storage compartment next to the WH and with the cord for it. But it would be nice to have the 12 volt switch in the bathroom where the single switch is now. Atwood furnished a new double switch panel.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I installed the same type water heater. I just grabbed a hot 12 volt wire that feeds the wall light at the same location as the water heater. I haven't tried to operate the heater yet, so I can't report on operation. I did test the line and it was hot. My water heater is in the bathroom, the bathroom is connected to the kitchen sink and range base, and the converter sits under the range. At worst case, I'd just run a 8' wire through the cabinet, over the fender, behind the shower, and right to the heater. I picked the light hot wire because it came out in a handy spot.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks Splitrock. I think I will drill a hole in the interior skin below the counter top and fish a new wire up into the switch opening and then run it though the cabinet like you suggest. That way it won't show and it will be relatively easy to do. There is already power to the switch so that should do for both switches I just need the seperate control wire for the electric part of the WH.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Cool! Please let us know how it worked out.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Finished the installation today. Drilled under the coutertop and ran the wire for the 12 volt electric relay up through the wall to the switch and then across the wheel wells and under the bed where the water heater is. I can turn the electric heat element on and off from the bathroom switch, but I put the heating element on a seperate cord to plug in, choosing not to hook it into the 30 amp service on the Airstream. We will use the electric when we have a seperate plug for it. could plug it into the outside circut on the Airstream. Just seemed like a good idea to get the electirc since it only adds $70 to the cost of the unit. And it comes nicely setup with a thermostat and relay. All in all the installation went well. New heater sure burns nice and clean. I do not know how hot the water gets because I have not run it full cycle yet. Going camping July 7 for a week. Will see then. No electric for at least 3 of the nights.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I got the gas / electric model as well. I still haven't wired the 120 volt line nor have I installed plumbing yet. I have a summer of interior builidng ahead of me.

Thanks for the update.

Gary