Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD. View Post
I'm wondering if you are thinking of this or just a piece of aluminum that I could cut slots with a dremel too and then have a washer underneath the bolt and it would slide that way? Any links to something?
I am indeed thinking of a piece of aluminum plate w/ slots on either side of the base of the toilet and captive nuts in the floor. Aluminum slots very easily if you drill a series of holes such as will pass a file. Draw the outline of the slot you wish to make and file to that....

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Question how to attach plates to the floor

Okay,thanks for clarifying that.

Aside from the slots, how would you attach the plates themselves to the floor of the bathroom? Drill holes through the floor of the trailer, and through the plates, then put screws through the holes and have bolts on the outside of the trailer?
I guess I don't see how you would be able to get under the floor to tighten a bolt to attach the plates. Then once the plates are bolted it would seem that there wouldn't be any room for the captive nuts to go through the plate, they would hit the floor since the plate is only 1/4".

Sorry, I'm new to all of this. I'm also more of a visual learner, so it's easier for me when I can see what someone is talking about through a diagram,video, or still image. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify this. I'm sure others will also benefit from this who would want to do the same thing.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Nature's Head

After two years of research on this, we decided to install a NH in our 34' Excella, currently undergoing rebuild at Area 63. When I started, I thought, "it's 2008 and the best we can do is holding tanks?"

I was surprised to find the best available answer pre-dates the flush toilet.

The much larger and more expensive offerings, although evidently effective in the right climate with 110v to tap for ventilation and heating, just don't pencil out for an RV.

We ordered a spare container & lid, so we can let one finish compositing as we rotate in the spare.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobox View Post
... as we rotate in the spare.
Um, yes you could read it that way, but you know what I mean.

Two, additional information points: The Excella is equipped with a 400w, 800AH solar system installed by AM Solar. That system will supply power to the vent fan. The Excella will utilize a TwinTemp Jr. for zone heating and on-demand hot water. We're going to put a few coils of copper tubing or other radiator surface under the NH and feed that with the TwinTemp in cold weather. Should keep those microbes frisky.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
installing the NH

@ Audiobox: how did you 'install' the NH?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Quote:
@ Audiobox: how did you 'install' the NH?
The NH will be installed with the rest of the bathroom after the wiring plan is executed, inner skins re-installed and the cork floor put down. We'll have an area routed out for the heating element, but according to the NH tech sheet, installation is just two screws to the floor. We're going to use the existing black tank to extend the gray water holding capacity.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bowden , West Virginia
I installed a Nature's Head composting toilet in our 59 Flying Cloud because the 59 had no waste tanks and I am not a plumber. Two weeks ago I return from a three week boon docking trip. I did not empty the composting toilet. The trailer has been sitting in the hot Texas sun for the past two weeks. I went out to the trailer today and opened it up. I was really prepared for the worse but to my surprise the only odor in the trailer was a faint smell of peat moss. Just that earthy odor and not offensive at all.

Some methods to use to keep from "staining" toilet bowl, line bowl with paper, place coffee filter in bowl, open trap door for direct deposit, etc. just keep a supply of sanitary wipes for clean up for whatever method you use.

If I ever have any problems with the toilet and black water tank system in my 2002, I would not hesitate to converting it to a composting toilet. Lets keep it simple.

Ken
Old 06-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Question @ Grannyred-how did you install the toilet?

@ Grannyred:

A few questions for you

1. How did you install it as far as fastening it to the floor?
a. What kind of bolts/nuts were used?
b. How did you cover up the hole leading to the black tank where the previous toilet was?

2. How did you hook up the vent pipe?

3. What did you have to do to set up the power to the fan?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
@ Grannyred:

A few questions for you

1. How did you install it as far as fastening it to the floor?
a. What kind of bolts/nuts were used?
b. How did you cover up the hole leading to the black tank where the previous toilet was?

2. How did you hook up the vent pipe?

3. What did you have to do to set up the power to the fan?

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian,

I may be able to help with some of these questions as well.

The NH toilet comes with the brackets you need to attach it to the floor. We then used a couple of large stainless steel self-tapping screws to attach the brackets to the floor.

The hole in the floor was easily covered with a plywood patch prior to installing the new flooring

The toilet also comes with a flexible hose to attach to your vent pipe. It is just a matter of inserting a fitting into your vent stack and using a hose clamp to attach to it.

The fan runs on 12V, so I just ran a wire from the nearest source.

I do have some pics, but need to dig them out as we are traveling!

FLYNCLD
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
The idea of no black tank is appealing! Right now our 1960 tradewind is completely gutted and the black tank we pulled out is marginal.... do you think we have the space for a NH toilet? See photo of toilet below before we gutted her! Part of the black tank extended into the adjacent closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000765.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	104052  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vets View Post
The idea of no black tank is appealing! Right now our 1960 tradewind is completely gutted and the black tank we pulled out is marginal.... do you think we have the space for a NH toilet? See photo of toilet below before we gutted her! Part of the black tank extended into the adjacent closet.
Should be no problem, but you can get the exact specs off the NH website.

Nature's Head Composting Toilet - Installation Instructions and Users Guide

FLYNCLD
Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bowden , West Virginia
Brian, I basically used the same method as Flyncld. I had a piece of thin aluminum which I applied construction glue to and covered the the old toilet hole. I placed the composting toilet on top of the metal patch.

vent pipe - there was a small hole in the floor which fit the exhaust tubing perfectly. The toilet is vented through this hole which leads to the outside.

fan - i ran a wire to my 12 volt distribution block and installed a switch so that i can turn the fan off. the switch has a small led light in it so that I can tell when the fan is on.

hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
wow, this is a great thread. who knew we didnt need a black tank?

re: the finished compost - google "humanure handbook".

one question over here - where do you get the peat moss, and is it easy to find on the road? do you keep a supply with you?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
You can get peat moss at any garden supply center including Home Depot and Lowes. It comes in huge bags so I would imagine one bag would last you for years!