Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #1

1974 31' Sovereign
Morinville , Alberta
1974 grey water tank rear bath

Hello,
I have a cracked grey water tank and I'm going to attempt to pull it out to access the damage. I think it slides out the rear after removing the bumper and unhooking the plumbing/wiring. Does any one know where I can find a new tank if the tank FUBAR? Or does anyone have some good repair suggestions?

Thanks
Darin
1974 31'soverign rear bath
Dupes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupes View Post
Hello,
I have a cracked grey water tank and I'm going to attempt to pull it out to access the damage. I think it slides out the rear after removing the bumper and unhooking the plumbing/wiring. Does any one know where I can find a new tank if the tank FUBAR? Or does anyone have some good repair suggestions?

Thanks
Darin
1974 31'soverign rear bath
Welcome to the forum. The tank can be removed by removing the belly pan in that area, removing the two bolts holding the rear support bar from under the tank, removing all the plumbing attached to it, and dropping it down while sliding it out toward the rear of the trailer.
A new tank would involve either finding a good used one, or a custom replacement. If you're getting a new custom one made, you can try to get one made a little larger than the factory 10 gallons.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

1974 31' Sovereign
Morinville , Alberta
Thanks for the info. I got the tank out like you said and I was able to plastic weld a three inch crack using strips of plastic and a torch. The weld repair worked very well, the tank is holding.
Dupes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Glad to hear you got your tank repaired...I have to haul the tanks out of mine for repair as well as rebuilding the frames and the box. I looked all over for the bolts to release the tank frame...I think I might have found what was left of them in a huge blob of rust.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote