Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
winterizing - removed water filter - will it leak anti-freeze?

I'm in the process of winterizing my new 28 Safari SE and so far I'm doing o.k. Got the water heater and the lines in the galley, bath sink, toilet and shower drained. (Have to drain the water pump and isolate the water heater so as not to fill it with anti freeze - I think I know how to deal with those.)

But here's where I'm stumped: my A/S has a Moen water filter under the kitchen sink. It's a cannister that you push into the fitting and turn about a quarter of a turn to secure it. Somewhere on another post I read I should take it out so it doesn't get anti freeze in it. (And as it's only been used three weekends it should be good for several more months.) So I removed it and brought it in the house with other stuff that I don't want to freeze. When I took it out the fitting then leaked a little water - maybe three or four tablespoons - which was easily mopped up - the water line to the sink was drained at that point. But I didn't see a shut off to the water filter. So the question is when I put anti freeze into the system is it going to run out of the water filter fitting and make a big mess in the cabinet under the sink. Or does the fitting close so that no water passes through it when there is not filter cannister in place?

2nd question: the owners manual says regarding winterizing there is a pet cock in the wheel well - well I think I found it on the street side - but the manual doesn't say what to do and I can't figure out how to open it if that's what is expected? I didn't get a picture of it and now it's dark - but will try to post one tomorrow and maybe somebody can tell me if I've got the right left handed widget and what to do with it - if anything.

Thanks for any help with these newbie questions.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Anti-clockwise on the P-cocks.

We have a Moen in faucet filter that we remove.

IMHO take it out and drain lines.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudentane View Post
So the question is when I put anti freeze into the system is it going to run out of the water filter fitting and make a big mess in the cabinet under the sink. Or does the fitting close so that no water passes through it when there is not filter cannister in place?
It does close when the filter is removed. If you don't use it, you can leave the filter off all the time (including when hooked up to city water). That will give you a little more room in the cabinet.
emdubyadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You're getting the right advice. The filter must be removed because RV antifreeze propylene glycol will ruin the carbon filter.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdubyadee View Post
It does close when the filter is removed.
Thanks, I figured that was probably the case - but the image of having several gallons of antifreeze running out of the cabinet and all over the floor etc. gave me pause - I wanted to be sure. And I like the potential of having more room in the cabinet!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Flagstaff , Arizona
Follow-up question. I have a 2012 Flying Cloud. I removed the water filter but I am concerned about the feeder line which leaves the filter headed to the faucet. I cannot tell if there is water trapped in the line. Is there any easy way to drain this line?
scubadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Scubadog, the manual suggests you use an old filter for winterizing your system, which leads me to believe there's no other way of draining the water in that specific line.

Last year I used an old filter. When I got the old one that had antifreeze in it, to winterize this year, it was blocked and useless. Perhaps the antifreeze in it solidified the stuff in the old filter.

As mentioned earlier, I suspect the antifreeze solidifies the inside ingredients.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Scubadog, the manual suggests you use an old filter for winterizing your system, which leads me to believe there's no other way of draining the water in that specific line.

Last year I used an old filter. When I got the old one that had antifreeze in it, to winterize this year, it was blocked and useless. Perhaps the antifreeze in it solidified the stuff in the old filter.

As mentioned earlier, I suspect the antifreeze solidifies the inside ingredients.
Thanks, murreywalker. I used an old filter when I winterized this year but the water coming out of the filter was clear, not pink. After reading several other posts about this, it may be that the filter is removing the pink color. As far as I can tell now, nothing is frozen. I guess I will find out for sure when we unwinterize. I wish now I had tasted the clear liquid to see if it was propylene glycol.
scubadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I'd use some air pressure, blow out all the water you can out of the whole system. Then blow your antifreeze in to all the other lines, hot in bath, hot in kitchen, cold in bath, then cold in kitchen. When you get your antifreeze coming to the filter in the cold line you should be done. A bucket under the filter would be a another idea. My antifreeze of choice happens to be a cheap vodka, a fifth blown in after I have only fog blowing out of each faucet, hot and cold and haven't had problem yet. Tastes much better in the spring than that pink stuff.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote