Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
Water pump turning on for just a second at a time.

OK, here's something that is worrying me.

I took the as-yet-unchristened 2007 19 foot Safari SE out to the coast this past weekend. On Saturday night I didn't sleep deeply and I heard at least twice, the water pump turn on by itself for a second or so. So briefly that at first I didn't recognize it as the water pump.

First thought... small leak. But I didn't find a dripping faucet or toilet leak, and no leaks under the trailer that I could see. I have yet to check the plumbing, but when I get home, will start near the water pump. Any other suggestions as to how to find common leak points?

Second thought.... maybe the pump is compensating for changes in system pressure as the hot water tank cools or as the water in the system cools down (I don't keep the water heater on because it heats up so quickly and I do all my chores needing hot water in the evening, for the most part).

Comments? Just take it to the dealer while still under warranty?
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have a 68' that does this, but every 5 min or so.. My hot water tank has a small leak.... Getting it fixed... I don't know if this is common or not.. only twice all night doesn't seem to big a deal to me. but someone else might know more than me.... sorry

Yeah Call the dealer and see what they say...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Normal, just keeping the pressure up; shut the pump down at night, we do.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Same thing happened to me

This is NOT normal. This happened from new and I thought it was a small leak. It turned out that there was a leak coming from the petcock to drain the freshwater tank so that was fixed. Helped but still had the intermittent cycling. I added a pressure reservoir from Camping World and that helped but no solution (BTW go ahead and get the pressure reservoir, it cuts down on the time the pump is on. Nice touch and should come from the factory with one.)

Finally, the dealer found that there was a small crack in the pump mechanism housing. Not leaking per se, but leaking past the valving and causing the water pressure to go down, and the pump to turn on. Problem solved.

I hope this works for you as it was very frustrating for us to have to turn off the pump when we weren't using the water.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have never heard the pump cycle at night. My wife who can hear has never heard it either . If you do not have a leak, the pressure could be dropping because of a bad check valve at the pump.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It can happen if you have freshly filled the empty lines, and a largish air bubble remains somewhere in the system. With time, the air bubble will compress, and the pump will come on for just a cycle or so.

Try this: Run every faucet, including hot, until the flow is clean and clear. This should purge all bubbles. Then test again. If the pump comes on, then you probably have a leak someplace.

Lynn
Old 09-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Ours will occasionally do this - but not always - drove us bananas trying to find it - no sign of leaking anywhere - in the end it seems to be the valve in the toilet - a very small leak into the toilet if the foot pedal is not released quickly - but like others - we now turn the pump off at night.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I had the same problem on my AS. The hose clamp coming off of the water pump was loose and a fine mist of water would occasionally squirt out by the fitting. Turn on a water source and check carefully around the pump and all the clamps. My leak soaked the carpeting in the bedroom. I double hose clamped on the fittings.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Don't ignore it!

We had the same problem with our 2004 when it was about a year old (still under warranty). After some searching, my other half found a leaky fitting on the pipe that brings water to the kitchen sink.....this also solved another mystery of where the occasional water spot (under the trailer near the step) was coming from! He just re-did the fitting with some teflon tape, and I no longer lose sleep to the growl of the water pump during the night!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I had this happen on our previous trailer.

Check your low point water drain spigots and make sure they are indeed closed.

I just had them barely finger tight.

I used a small pliers to get them a little tighter and the problem was solved.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
OK, here's something that is worrying me.

I took the as-yet-unchristened 2007 19 foot Safari SE out to the coast this past weekend. On Saturday night I didn't sleep deeply and I heard at least twice, the water pump turn on by itself for a second or so. So briefly that at first I didn't recognize it as the water pump.

First thought... small leak. But I didn't find a dripping faucet or toilet leak, and no leaks under the trailer that I could see. I have yet to check the plumbing, but when I get home, will start near the water pump. Any other suggestions as to how to find common leak points?

Second thought.... maybe the pump is compensating for changes in system pressure as the hot water tank cools or as the water in the system cools down (I don't keep the water heater on because it heats up so quickly and I do all my chores needing hot water in the evening, for the most part).

Comments? Just take it to the dealer while still under warranty?
There are 2 uncommon things that can cause the pump problem.

If the pump has a built in check valve, then that valve is leaking, allowing the water pressure to drop. Obviously then, the pump will pressurize the system, back to cut off.

If there is an external "check valve" between the water tank and the pump, then that check valve is allowing the pressure to bleed down.

As in both of the above situations, you can look for a water leak forever, and never find it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote