Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Sharkbite blowout

We arrived at our campsite in Carmel Valley last night in the rain and dark, got the Globie hooked up and poured something to drink, and the sound of the rain got.... louder and closer, almost like it was inside. It was inside- a hot water pex sharkbite connection had blown out, fortunately where I could get to it. Also fortunately, I had put in ball valves to isolate the fixtures, so I could turn it off and still have cold water. Off to the most likely local place to buy another sharkbite piece to replace the one that failed. Maybe i didn't secure the pipe adequately and it vibrated apart? I was able to shove everything back together, but under pressure, the pex worked it's way out of the fitting in about 10 seconds. The pressure didn't seem excessive, and I never turn on the spigot to the trailer more than a quarter turn to start with. I'd enjoy any words of wisdom or otherwise. Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Globie

Sharkbite blowouts are usually caused by either:

1) pipe not inserted far enough into the sharkbite, or
2) not cutting the end of the pipe square.

There is a place and a time for Sharkbite and similar fittings (the big-box stores sell ones made by Watts around here) but they are not as reliable as crimped connections.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When the hot water heater is turned on there is expansion in the system, that can cause various leaks, or undo a weak connection. Follow these threads about cures for that problem:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...on-101868.html

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I would measure the depth of the sharkbite fitting and mark this on the pipe. Push the pipe in as far as you can in relation to the mark on the pipe. Try to retract the pipe to see if the teeth bite into the pipe.

When I replumbed my first trailer with pex I used the quick connect fittings from Lowes. While they were not Sharkbite fittings though they worked similarly. The pex had to be perfectly square to the fitting or else they would leak. I tore them out and returned them. I purchased a Zurn crimp tool and associated fittings. No problems thereafter. I would keep the quick connect fittings as an emergency backup in the trailer toolbox.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The square cut of the pex is the key to sharkbite installation. I've been there.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hi, wow, thanks for the quick responses. The end is cut square and it was in all the way- I have about a dozen other sharkbites in the trailer and no problems.... so far. I'm not a plumber, but have plumbed two homes with copper and ABS myself, so I know something, maybe just enough to be dangerous, but have had good success. I will go through the other posts that you linked to. It's great to have this sounding board when something goes wrong, rather than being literally out in the wilderness alone! Even so, it was a great night in the trailer, good food and wine and reading, and a good night's sleep.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I had a Sharkbite leak in the house

The problem was that weight of the water made the connection bow. I straightened it, and supported it. To be safe, keep it straight and figure a way to support the line near the fitting.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Is it possible that you undid that fitting once while putting it all together? They can be disconnected and used again, but the teeth that bite the pipe and deform ever so slightly. I never trust them after they were set once.
Watts type fittings are made of plastic, shark bite fittings are bronze cast with plastic innards. The two are very different. I used Watts type once on my own trailer and would never use them again except in an extreme situation. Crimped on fittings are bullet proof. They never leak except the plastic swivel unions when cross threaded or over tightened.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sharkbites and their twin....Gatorbites, both have a depth gauge for different sizes of tubing so you can mark them to be certain that they are fully inserted. I would highly suggest using one if you use these connectors.

I have never had one of these, or Sea-Tech plastic fittings get loose or blow out, and I use a lot of them every day.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote