Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Problem Filling Fresh Water Tank

Hi again,

The 92 Land Yacht MH I just bought has a venting problem while filling the tank. When I lift up the bed and look at the inlet line to the tank, the line is not very level but undulates so the water tends to seal up and prevents the air from escaping.

Is there an easy way to fix this or is there a tank vent somewhere that could be clogged? What I can do until I find a way to fix it is run a long thin hose into the tank to get the water past the air pocket in the line. Haven't tried this yet but the only thing that might not work here is the line might not be able to go all the way in.

Thanks.
Dave
DaveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
When you looked under the bed was there a small 1/2 inch line that was connected to the top of the tank?

In the older units there was a hole in the filler pocket that the expelled air would come out of. When we were full the vent would spit at you and you knew you were full.

On the newer models there may not be such a vent. The thinking being that the air would vent from the main fill tube.

Is it possible to replace the filler tube with a newer, longer, unlooped tube?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hi Brett,

No I don't think I saw a tube on the top of the tank but I'll take a closer look this afternoon.

I might even photograph it and post the photo if that helps. Will be taking pictures of something else I need to post a question about, anyways.

Regards,
Dave
Old 10-12-2003, 02:07 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had the same problem on my 2003 International; the filler would spit back at me and take a long time to fill.

I found that the vent hose had been kinked just above the tank when the trailer was built. I cut the vent line at the kink and inserted an elbow fitting. After that was done, the tank filled quite well.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:02 PM   #5

I have a similar problem with my 92 Excella.

The tank does not fill all the way.
I have taken the filler apart, and everything is OK.

The vent line does not to seem to be kinked. Here is picture where it goes into the tank.

Any idea ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water tank 92-29.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	3477  
icedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
BLOW AIR IN VENT LINE SEE IF THERE IS SOME SORT OF BLOCKAGE THERE. MAYBE SOMETHING BUILT A HOME IN THE LINE... JUST A GUESS.. NO FACTS.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:21 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
pull the plug?

ice dream,

first, welcome to the forum! i have a '92 '29 also.

when you fill the trailer do you remove the plug from the filler vent?

it is on the outside just above the main filler opening, part of the plastic retainer pulls out and allows air out.

how did you get that pic? shove the camera way back?

this is what the top of my tank looks like!

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low point drains.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	3478  
Old 10-14-2003, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
when you fill the trailer do you remove the plug from the filler vent?
At the beginning no. I did not realize it was a plug. I could hear the air comming out though (and I was afraid to break it).

Then I took the filler apart and tried again to top the tank, with plug remove. No change.

I used an air tank, but got same result by just blowing into vent line: at some point, water squirted out through filler. I know for a fact that the tank is about 3/4 full.

It looks like at some point, the vent line is bellow the water line. ???? How is that possible?

I have just bought a new vent tube and I will try to replace it. You never know.
icedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
When you looked under the bed was there a small 1/2 inch line that was connected to the top of the tank?
I just got back from my first camping trip (!!) and took a closer look at the tank. There is a clear plastic vent tube coming out near the filler inlet on the left side of the tank (looking from the hallway towards the rear bed). Also it looked like the small tube was discolored near the tank. It looked dark on the inside of the pipe. Not sure if that's a clog.

I saw some of the other comments that mentioned a vent plug near the filler hole on the poutside of the MH. I didn't see a vent plug outside. I'll (again) take another look when I get back to the RV. What I think I remember seeing was the vent pipe under the bed going from the left side of the tank to the head area of the bed somewhere and the end of the tube goes off somewhere into the wall, perhaps.