Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
Newbie with ???

Just got an 1984 AS 34' Limited. No manual but using one I found online. Cannot locate the city water hookup. The long hose next to the power hookup I thought was for cleaning up etc.
Tom Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
Just got an 1984 AS 34' Limited. No manual but using one I found online. Cannot locate the city water hookup. The long hose next to the power hookup I thought was for cleaning up etc.
Check the road side of the bumper.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
Newbie looking for city water hookup

Thanks
I looked there but didn't see anything. Where is it on your 1988?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
Looking, looking and still no city water hookup?

I have gone over this '84 AS 34' Limited and just cannot find the city water hookup.
Just fixed my HW heater and want to make sure tank is full before I heat water.
When I turn on the pump my roadside hose flows water I assume from my fresh water tank. Where is that shutoff valve? Who knows.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
Thanks
I looked there but didn't see anything. Where is it on your 1988?
Roadside bumper
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
My 88 has no hose for "cleaning up" that is probably your city water connection with a bad/missing check valve.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
City Water hookup

Hey a Jersey Boy! Where do you go "Jersey Shore" with that rig?
You are probably right. The manual I got is for a newer vintage AS and they talk about a hose for cleaning up after a day at the beach. The hose is probably around 25' long on a retractable spool in a roadside compartment along with my power hookup. It too is about 20-25 feet long and retractable.
I have hooked this hose up to city water and it allows water to the faucets etc.
I want to make sure my HW heater is full before I test it out after a gas valve replacement.
So I am uncertain if that happens through the pressurized city water OR I need to turn the pump on to fill it from my Fresh Water tank?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Either use the pump or the city water hookup to fill the water heater and rest of the fresh water system. Open the faucets one at a time, both cold and hot, until all you have is water flowing out of them (no air). Once you have water to all of the faucets (hot & cold), the entire fresh water plumbing system and water heater are full.

If you used the pump and fresh water tank, you will have drained a number of gallons out of it filling up all the fresh water lines and water heater. Top off the fresh water tank after you purge all the air out of the faucets and lines, so you have a full tank for starting your trip.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Tom:
On my 1982 34' LTD, the city water hookup is via a hose connection located in the roadside rear compartment (where the power cord is...under the rear roadside twin). My shutoff valves and pump are in the compartment under the large hall wardrobe floor.
I have no water/ power in the bumper.
I can take some pics if it would help! do you have a rear queen or twins?
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well actually I go to Jersey Shore Haven in Cape May County north of Cape May.

After you get air out of the lines the best way to make sure your water heater is full is to open the overpressure valve on it while either the city water or the water pump is on. This eliminates the possibility of not knowing a bypass kit kept the water heater from filling.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One of my prior trailer's had a retractable power cord and retractable water supply hose, I think that is what you are describing. On mine the reels for both of them were mounted side by side under the bed and were accessible through a hatch on the street side near the rear corner. If this is the setup you have there are a few things you will find out. The water reel has a petcock drain for winterizing. If you don't drain it and the hose completely during freezing weather it will split at the casting and/or blow out the O rings. Ask me how I know. The electric cord reel has a set of brushes that allows the reel to rotate and keep electric contact at the same time. These brushes are impossible to find off the shelf when they go bad. The brushes can corrode and short out, especially when the AC is on. Ask me how I know. After having multiple problems with mine, I tossed the whole reel assembly and reworked both connections. The company that made the reels is no longer supplying parts.

If you hookup the hose on the reel, turn on the water, and water flows from the hot valve at any sink in the trailer, your hot water tank will be full after flowing for a few minutes. You can double check this by opening the releif valve tab on the hot water heater while the trailer's water lines are pressurized.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Waltham , Massachusetts
Thanks Alan:
I think you nailed it. Both descriptions were right on. I did notice the petcock the last time I was rolling around under her... So I assume you turn off the petcock when you want to use fresh water from the tank? This would allow the pump to pressurize the system for normal "non city water" operation?
Thanks for the winterizing tip regarding this assembly. I will be certain to do that soon.
The power cord on the reel was also a "dead on" description. The whole brushes tip really worth knowing about if in the future I have issues with it.
Thank You very much for taking the time to help me out. Perhaps someday we will meet on the road somewhere.
Tom
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
The petcock on the water reel is in the metal casting right in the center of the reel, the part that does not rotate. I do not think you can see it unless you can get your head inside the hatch opening.
The petcock you see from beneath the trailer is either the water tank or water line drain.

If water is flowing out of the hose when you turn on the pump, the back-flow preventer has gone bad or has trash in it. In my trailer it was mounted near the reel, in that same space, right ahead of the water pressure regulator.