Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Susanville , California
New pump won't turn off

I have a 75 trade wind I bought last year. I replaced the old water pump with a new one but now the new one won't turn off. I took it to my RV shop. They thought that I have algae in the fresh water tank and I should flush it. They put a bucket on the supply side and the pump worked perfectly. I've flushed it three times using bleach with little results. Last year if I ran the faucet at high volume for a minute it would turn off but this year that hasn't worked all. The water comes out in surges. Thanks in advance for any help.
bearhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I suspect that you have an air leak on the intake side of your pump, between the tank and the pump itself. Besides loose clamps, the other possibilities are that the intake strainer is cracked or the gasket is leaking. Most are clear plastic, and you can see if air is bubbling inside of them, a good indication of a leak on the suction side of the pump.

The other leak which may seem strange, but has happened to me is this. The intake hose itself being now 39 years old, becomes porous and although it does not leak water out, under suction it leaks air in. It took me a long time to figure that one out, but once I changed the intake line, the pump worked properly, as it was sucking only water, not a water and air mixture.

When there is air on the intake side, the pump gets air bound and will not build up pressure and shut off properly.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with the intake sucking air. Replace the hoses between the tank and strainer and the strainer and pump. Make sure the strainer cap is on tight. Check for a missing gasket.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What kind of tubing is used for the inlet side of the pump? I suspect a air leak but it could also be the tubing collapsing because of the vacuum. That is consistent with the intermittent discharge.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Some tubing has a stainless steel spring slipped inside to prevent collapse.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You are sucking air. If you can put a stopper in the vent hole next to the fill and make a stopper for the fill that will all you to apply low air pressure, with a hand pump, you may see the leak in the supply tube to the pump.

The suction tube is on the bottom of the tank so if you have any water in the tank while you do this test that water will show at the leak point.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Great thread for me as I have a similar issue. We have a 2012 Eddie Bauer that basically sat for two years. The original pump was very noisy so I replaced it with a new Shu-Flo Revolution 4gph. The pump is clearly sucking air. I replaced the pump pre-screen filter.
The pre-screen filter is fun of air and so I know there is air entering the system upstream of the filter. Frankly the PEX run from the filter to the fresh water tank is less than three feet and I can't see any leaks in that line. Has anyone ever seen what the pick-up line looks like inside the fresh water tank? The only thing I can think of is there is a crack in the line inside the fresh water tank but that is hard to believe in a two year old trailer that never had water in the tank before we bought it.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglips View Post
Great thread for me as I have a similar issue. We have a 2012 Eddie Bauer that basically sat for two years. The original pump was very noisy so I replaced it with a new Shu-Flo Revolution 4gph. The pump is clearly sucking air. I replaced the pump pre-screen filter.
The pre-screen filter is fun of air and so I know there is air entering the system upstream of the filter. Frankly the PEX run from the filter to the fresh water tank is less than three feet and I can't see any leaks in that line. Has anyone ever seen what the pick-up line looks like inside the fresh water tank? The only thing I can think of is there is a crack in the line inside the fresh water tank but that is hard to believe in a two year old trailer that never had water in the tank before we bought it.
I would still suspect the pre filter, or the connections to it. The filters are not very rugged and can crack or leak yet still look ok on a casual inspection. Also, are you starting with a full fresh water tank? I can put what seems to be a lot of water into mine before it will actually pick up and not suck air. Just another possible idea to try out.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the filter has air in it the leak is between the filter and the tank.

You say the tank has never had water in it. Is there water in it now? If yes the pump may not be picking up a prime. Disconnect the input line to the filter. Put a piece of tubing on there and place the other end in water. Turn the pump on and you should see the filter fill with water. Once it is full replace the line from the tank and turn the pump on. The system should fill and the pimp shut off in a few seconds.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Howie et al,
Thanks for the advise. The tank never had water in it until last week. I filled it to the absolute top. The pump made a horrible noise so I bought a new pump and pre-filter. New pump much quieter. The air in the pre-filter says air coming in infront of the filter. I will try priming but wonder what could be haywire in the tank pick-up.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Susanville , California
Thanks, for the help. I haven't been able to explore the issue yet as I've been buffing the old girl getting her ready to explore Glacier NP next week. Getting pretty finally! 200 hours last year and around 70 hours so far this year. Terrible corrosion from being tarped. I had to do a progressive wet sand before starting the buffing.
bearhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wow, if I told my wife that the water pump is not working but not to worry the trailer is shiny, I would be camping by myself! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhere View Post
Thanks, for the help. I haven't been able to explore the issue yet as I've been buffing the old girl getting her ready to explore Glacier NP next week. Getting pretty finally! 200 hours last year and around 70 hours so far this year. Terrible corrosion from being tarped. I had to do a progressive wet sand before starting the buffing.
On the news this morning they reported that Glacier had a load of new snow. You may want to call and see if they are open. Several years ago we went there at this time of year without giving a thought to snow. When we got there, the park had just opened that morning. Sometimes we get lucky, but not always.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote