Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Will Larger Pump Increase Water Pressure?

I have searched the forums but have yet to find the answer to my question. I currently have a 3GPM Shurflo water pump which appears to be working fine. I would like to increase the overall water pressure and wonder if installing a 4.5 GPM water pump would necessarily increase the water pressure. Although it seems logical (to me) that it will, I would love to get some more informed opinions before I make the investment only to find out it doesn't accomplish my goal.
Jfuller678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfuller678 View Post
I have searched the forums but have yet to find the answer to my question. I currently have a 3GPM Shurflo water pump which appears to be working fine. I would like to increase the overall water pressure and wonder if installing a 4.5 GPM water pump would necessarily increase the water pressure. Although it seems logical (to me) that it will, I would love to get some more informed opinions before I make the investment only to find out it doesn't accomplish my goal.
No. Pumping rate does not equal pressure. Lift equals pressure, so get a pump rated for a higher lift to create a higher pressure.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Remember pressure is just a measurement of restriction.
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No. Pumping rate does not equal pressure. Lift equals pressure, so get a pump rated for a higher lift to create a higher pressure.
Thank you for your input. In reviewing the water pump specs I do not find any reference to "lift", only to GPM or the PSI. Is there an easy way to determine a pumps "lift"? Are you aware of any pumps that may accomplish my goal that would be able to physically fit in the same space? Other than making sure my water lines are unimpeded and that the filter screens are clean, are there any other suggestions to increasing the water pressure?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Water pressure is rated in PSI (pounds per square inch). If you can find a pump with a higher PSI output rating than the one you have now, you will have more pressure.

Many Airstream pipe systems are very restrictive. I counted 17 90 degree elbow turns between the pump and the hot water faucet on my 2014 FC 20'. Each of those bends reduces pressure. Flow restrictors to limit water use also lead to apparent low pressure at faucets. They also can be clogged.

What is it you are trying to do? Why do you want to increase the water pressure?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Will Larger Pump Increase Water Pressure?

No,,, but yes.

You are probably looking for a better shower?

Max pressure will be achieved with all faucets closed. The pressure will drop some or a lot when a valve is opened and the pump starts up in an attempt to bring the pressure up.

The pump will recover some of the pressure. It will do better at recovery at a low flow, and will do worse and worse as the flow approaches the max flow of the pump.

In practical use flow and pressure work together. Chances are you dont care much about pressure but you want more flow.

Will a higher rated GPM pump give yo more flow? Probably.

How much more depends on some factors. The bends in the pipes, the diameter of the pipes, etc. . But in all likelihood the difference will mostly rest on the flow rating of your fixtures.

There are a lot of variables, but unless your shower head flows very little water you will notice at least a tiny increase in flow with a bigger pump, and you might see a noticeable difference in flow.

Fwiw, my trailer is plumbed in 1/2" PEX, I run a 4.5 pump with a residential shower head and valve, I get a pretty nice shower on the pump... (If your trailer is plumbed in 3/8" tube, a bigger pump isn't really going to make much difference. )

So my short answer to your question is MAYBE.

I haven't studied shower heads much, but if you have a 1 GPM head, the difference will probably be nil to tiny, 2 GPM you would probably notice some difference even though this is below the rating of your current pump.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I think the higher flow rated pump will help when you are in the shower and someone else runs water elsewhere. Higher flow rate is fine when using water from a direct input, e.g., a campground, but when boondocking, this can use water quickly decreasing substantially the ability to remain unhooked.

As one who likes to be able to boondock for up to five or six days, I put up with the gentle shower flow.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think you need to find a new shower head that sprays better than the one you have now.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Carlsbad , California
Thanks for all your responses - very educational. The shower is fine, probably because I have a new shower head. It's the galley faucet that needs more pressure. I now will probably get a new faucet.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Have you cleaned the strainer on the faucet? Do that first.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Thanks for all your responses - very educational. The shower is fine, probably because I have a new shower head. It's the galley faucet that needs more pressure. I now will probably get a new faucet.
Today's faucets, and many older ones, have a flow orifice in them, usually a disc with a small hole to restrict flow. Before you replace the faucet, look for a flow restrictor, and possibly some clogged areas like aerators, etc. I have found a flow restrictor where the hose is hooked to the removable faucet, in the head behind the aerators, and at other points of connection (p.o.c.'s)
Old 06-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Check the nozzle on the faucet first! You can get a quality head for much less than a whole faucet. Allot of times that is the simplest and cheapest fix.

That said, the faucet in my kitchen at home ended up getting clogged and I spent about two hours with CLR and some pipe cleaners to get it running again after removing it from the counter completly. Even then it still ran poorly and I ended up replacing the faucet anyhow, so I ended up removing and installing it twice.

If you did get some blockage in the faucet itself it will have been something large and it may have clogged other outlets as well, but if only one outlet is restricted then the head of the faucet is the likely culprit, so look easy first.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

I have not checked the pump on my Airstream but in other rv's I have had, there is a screw on the back of the sureflow pump head which if turned clockwise increases pressure. All this does is turn the pump off at a higher pressure.
The other suggestion I have is to take the heads off fixtures. There is a screen which catches debris. Increase pressure by cleaning the screen.
At higher usage levels a higher gallon per minute pump will increase pressure. If my wife runs the sink when I am showering, I notice the drop in flow.
Pressure fluctuates with a demand sureflow pump. If you install an accumulator tank, you can make the pressure consistent.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
The plumbing/water lines in my trailer is rated for 60 psi maximum. I normally use a water flow regulator that restricts the flow to 45 psi on my outside water hose coming in to my trailer. I believe that the 45 psi regulator is one that is commonly used. That gives me sufficient water flow, but if I wanted to increase it, VALTERRA makes a high flow regulator that is rated for 55 psi that I could safely use. I also make sure that my whole house water filter does not unduly restrict the water flow coming into my trailer.

I would not use a higher flow regulator than my trailer's water system is rated for.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Ever hear of Venturi?