Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
Mice like pex...oh no!

A friend built a new house last year and used pex for his water lines. Well he sprung a leak, had to remove some drywall to find it and when he did it looks like a mouse has been knawing on the pex and finally broke thru the wall of the pipe. I just put pex in the AS and I know there is no way to keep all the mice out. This could be trouble!
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Time to go through every last square inch of the Airstream and stop up every hole, even the smallest ones!

Lynn
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Or get a !

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I wonder if there's some awful-tasting grease or paste one could smear all over the PEX to keep it from being attractive.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Copper is the only way to go. A little harder to work with, but if you've ever lived the in the country you'll know why you should use it.

Enjoy,
Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I live in the country where mice are very prevalent. I don't have any mice in the Argosy 26'. I have gone over the trailer top to bottom to eliminate any way mice can get in. I have even put a disk on the shore power cord to keep mice from walking up the cord and get in thru the rear storage compartment. The disk works like the old sailing ships used on the mooring lines used to tie the ships to the dock. If a mouse would get into the storage compartment at the rear, there is no way it can get into the living space or even the storage compartments.
So far so good.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
license to kill mice by the government of the united nations. man, free to kill mice at will. to kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmit. and a varmit will never quit-ever. they're like the viet cong- varmit cong. so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. and that's all she wrote
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
In the immortal words of Sylvester the cat "What a revoltin' development that is!".
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
license to kill mice by the government of the united nations. man, free to kill mice at will. to kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmit. and a varmit will never quit-ever. they're like the viet cong- varmit cong. so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. and that's all she wrote
Ahh the mice! I still see an occasional one . Only one this year when the trailer traps were checked. One year I had none.....made me wonder what was wrong with my AS. Prior to that I looked for effective means of protection. I found 4 German Wirehairs, two neighbor cats and a 35 ca with 220 grain bullets did well. Then it was suggested (Lewster I think?) that I switch to a shotgun with small buckshot----good idea, the holes are easily filled by rivets.

After a while there got to be too many holes so I switched tactics. I now surround the AS with small landmines made from shotgun shells. These are great---puts the varmints right up on the ceiling, 30 ft. up. Very few get past the minefield. One drawback is disarming the minefield in the spring & don't loose the mine map. Those puppies can blow out a perfectly good tire

If they get after my PEX I'll fight plastic with plastic, we'll see how they contend with 2kg of C4 under the gaucho and some Gelignite by the bathroom.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
More from Sylvester

Sufferin' Succotash!

- Sylvester the Cat

Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It takes quite a bit of effort to locate every last little hole they can worm their way through. We used to have mouse problems, and I ran my daily mousetrap line to catch them. I was trying to save up enough tiny little mouse pelts to make a nice short-haired fur coat for Maria. Alas, I found the last entry points, and my traps then sat empty. Not even close to enough pelts, so I canned the whole fur project.

Lynn