Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic S/O
PORTSMOUTH , Virginia
Blobs in fresh water tank

I recently replaced my Aquajet water pump. But now I have a new problem... There are blobs of foul smelling sludge which quickly clog the pump screen. What is it and how should I deal with it?
STERELLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
You should have a drain on that tank,flush it out real good .Fill with water ,add a little bleach and flush it again.That should take care of it.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Do you sanitize your tank? We live in an area where we need to winterize the water system annually. We always sanitize the water system by flushing the water lines and the freshwater tank, then put in 1/4 cup of liquid bleach, refill the tank -- run the water trhough all of the faucets, leave it sit for 48 hours, then drain flush and refill the tank again.

We also do this again sometime during the summer, and always drain the tank and refill with fresh water before each trip.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Ok where is the drain on a 1976 Airstream Sovereign ? I have had to run the pump till no more water came out and I don't like doing that BUT I can not find the drain pee cock for the fresh water tank...

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
OK here goes,you know where your pump is at,there should be about 3 valves there,they may be recessed in the floor.turn 1 on at a time till the water runs out on the ground.That is at least the way my Overlander is set up. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I don't know about the 70's model but on my 87 I have a big plug in the bottom of my tank that can be opened to drain it real fast and completely. I found it one day because it was leaking. Had to take it out and reseal it and reinstall it. There was a trap door in the metal covering the bottom of the trailer and it was easy to access thru there. The plug was about an inch or an inch and a half in dia. and flush with the bottom of the tank. Maybe you have something like that in yours that will make flushing it easier.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Our 78 is as Bluto advises, above...

remove metal plate on underside of fresh water tank cover (4-sheet metal screws)...

plastic pipe plug will then be accessible for removal and you can flush your tank...

it's a real PAIN, to bad AS didn't install a drain cock somewhere down there when they build these models!!!

If you've got lots of 'goop' in your FW tank, this will be the only way you're going to get rid of it all...flush, flush, flush away the goop - then sanitize with some bleach in a tank full of water - overnight - then flush, flush, flush again to get rid of the bleach...fun job...!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic S/O
PORTSMOUTH , Virginia
So far I have bleached and flushed over and over again, but still get blobs in wire stainer. I lave reviewed the owners manuel trying to find the plate under the water tank, but still can't find it. Mexray probably has the solution. Does anyone have a 2003 34' side out???
STERELLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Small Drain Curbside

STERELLIE, we have a 2006 34 with slide/out, and we were not shown a drain plug under the trailer, other than the petcocks just behind the rear curbside tire, and the quarter turn valve on the fresh water tank that is located curbside between two of the tires. I have to look and feel to find this one. This last valve isn’t for flushing the tank, it’s for draining the tank (slow drain). I would like to know where to find the drain plug also. Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
My access panel (with 4 screws) and large drain on the freshwater is located on the curb side near the axle. Your right, it is not the pitcock between the axles. It is the lowest point of the fresh water tank. I can't see mine unless I get under there on my back.
If you have a manual that came with the unit, maybe it shows it in there on a drawing.
They seem to change stuff all the time so I really don't know if all the units have this plug style drain that is recessed flush in the bottom of the tank. It is actually part of the tank bottom and is not visable till you remove the small access panel thru the bottom skin. Once thru the acess panel, to remove or install mine I have to use a ratchet extention and insert the square end into the plug to turn it. To re install I use a little pipe dope on the threads of the plug and snug it down hand tight.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote