Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Ok, so get on the phone with Zip-Dee tomorrow to order the travel latches. I have a feeling that my 21 foot patio awning is missing a center support bracket. Is there a way to know if mine should have one? I do have some sort of bracket about midways on the coach, but no arm is there. Have a feeling that I'm missing some parts, lol.
Thanks, Derek

PS, I'll get pix and post everything tomorrow. Guessing that since the patio awning hasn't been used in so long (told it was broken when I purchased moho) that some parts have gone MIA.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Zip-dee factory install....

It took 5 seasons but I finally found the problem....

Couldn't figure out why the rear lockdown wheel wouldn't stay secured, and the fact that the awning rolled up slightly cockeyed. After loosing the lower portion of the rear support arm I noticed this...three inches off plumb was just enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07535.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	143566  
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I use a latch pin system as a "just in case" safety.

Dwight, where did you find your latch pin system? Looks like a great idea!
Thanks, Derek
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
These are the pins used by many farmers. They can be found at any farm store and many hardware stores for less than $1. Mine are plated and last about 3 years before they start to rust. I have not found any cheap stainless ones yet but I think Marine stores might have them for more $'s.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Dwight, day off today, so I'll get out and start looking for the latch pins. Sure there is a Marine store close by, I'll have to think about where in my metropolitan area that a farm store would be, lol.
Thanks, Derek
Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have been having trouble getting my big awning to rollup properly. It will be two or three inches too far forward sometimes and you can't fasten the locking clamps with the little wheels. Last time we used it I had to mess with it for several minutes to get it to roll up right. I think the problem is that some of the screws in the awning cover where it hooks to the trailer are not there and the whole assembly moves around. Has anyone else had this problem?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Missing screws mean there is an open hole to the interior of the trailer. It is a big leak just waiting for the next rainstorm to cause big problems. Fix it immediately and use lots of sealant to make sure it does not do $'s of damage. You might also have a problem in alignment if the support arms are not in proper position as in picture above.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Colonial Beach , Virginia
Very good idea with the latch pins! I use a pair of velcro straps.
WBCCI #7566
'12 FB International
'13 Chevy Avalanche
STREMERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
These are screws in the segmented awning cover not the ones that attach the cover to the trailer. At the end of each segment there is usually a screw. I believe the screws keep the segments from sliding relative to each other parrellel to the long axis of the trailer (forward and backwards).

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Missing screws mean there is an open hole to the interior of the trailer. It is a big leak just waiting for the next rainstorm to cause big problems. Fix it immediately and use lots of sealant to make sure it does not do $'s of damage. You might also have a problem in alignment if the support arms are not in proper position as in picture above.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Perry

funny you should mention that, we had the same problem this weekend. had to roll and unroll several times before it would wind up tight enough to be able to do the latch... i think it might have been because when i unlatched the second arm, it rolled up itself and did it sort of cockeyed. Got DW to help with the remaining attempts. Gotta start carrying a small ladder so i can get up there to troubleshoot, my awning hook is getting weary.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Those 2 step plastic step stools work pretty well for getting to the tie down clamps unless you are short. I have a collapsable ladder that I took this last trip. It makes a 6ft step ladder or 12 ft extension ladder.

Perry
Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Am probably going to get a collapsable ladder, although we do have a two step metal step stool at the house that i might liberate, but also have a 4 foot aluminum step ladder that might do the trick as well.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I have been having trouble getting my big awning to rollup properly. It will be two or three inches too far forward sometimes and you can't fasten the locking clamps with the little wheels. Last time we used it I had to mess with it for several minutes to get it to roll up right. I think the problem is that some of the screws in the awning cover where it hooks to the trailer are not there and the whole assembly moves around. Has anyone else had this problem?

Perry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Perry

funny you should mention that, we had the same problem this weekend. had to roll and unroll several times before it would wind up tight enough to be able to do the latch... i think it might have been because when i unlatched the second arm, it rolled up itself and did it sort of cockeyed. Got DW to help with the remaining attempts. Gotta start carrying a small ladder so i can get up there to troubleshoot, my awning hook is getting weary.

Perry,goal

Thats exactly the problem I had, post 22, it went up like a cockeyed window shade.

The rear arm was not plumb, on ours it follows the rivet line and should come straight down from the end of the awning. You can see in the picture it was off by about 3in. I removed the lower pin and moved the bracket using the forward mount hole and drilling two new ones. I replaced the phillips head wood screws with stainless hex.

If the awnings rolling towards the front, with a wide space at the rear roller end cap it could be the rear arm, if it's the other way around, then the front arm may be the cause.

Bob
Old 10-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I will look at that. The awning is not in that good of shape and that may cause it to not roll up properly. At some point I am going to have to put in some new canvas.

Perry