Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Woodstock , Georgia
Question How repair torn awning?

My Zipdee main awning got an 18 inch tear in it from the center strut support when it came loose during high winds. Two questions. 1. How do I make sure that the center strut stays in place, and. 2. what is best way to repair the tear? Rob Kelly, GA, 770-516-7044
robkelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rob.

Best way to repair a tear would be to splice an small piece of the same design over the tear.

I would suggest you identify the color and then call Zip Dee for a scrap piece of that fabric.

Their number is 800-3382378

Ask for Linda.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Forgive me for:

Robkelly,
You might check the spring in the strut's arm. It should have enough spring action to stay in place. ZipDee is a great company for replacement parts, if needed. As for the tear, sorry for this suggestion..(I couldn't help myself..)
Suggestion..Have a zipper sewed into it and, that way when you get a heavy down pour, you can just unzip it and let the water run out...lol, people will think you're way too KEWL..
Short of that, You could add a patch to stop the tear from spreading till you replace it oneday. Again, you also might ask ZD what they recommand.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #4

Woodstock , Georgia
Smile Awning Repair

Thanks. I called Zip Dee. They are going to send me a piece of matching fabric one yard long by 46 inches wide for $20. They advised against sewing it, but to use clear silicone sealant to "glue" the patch on one or both sides. It supposedly adheres well to the acrylic fabric. Rob
robkelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly1
Thanks. I called Zip Dee. They are going to send me a piece of matching fabric one yard long by 46 inches wide for $20. They advised against sewing it, but to use clear silicone sealant to "glue" the patch on one or both sides. It supposedly adheres well to the acrylic fabric. Rob
Rob,

Be very careful when you cut the acrylic fabric. When they cut it at the factory, it is done with a hot knife that seals the edges as it is being cut. You could do this with a soldering iron that had a tip hammered into a flat knofe shape. It will ravel if you use plain scissors. I have had several sewn for repair and we sealed the tears before sewing them with a matching patch. Never tried the silicone idea. I'm always leary of it as I never use silicone as a sealant anywhere on an RV. You might try tent fabric repair adhesive from a camping supply store also.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Robkelly,
You might check the spring in the strut's arm. It should have enough spring action to stay in place.
One of the things I do last is after raising the two outside arms to their desired height, I then get the center arm into place and pulled out so that it's tight. I made the mistake once of having the center arm connected then decided to raise the awning higher. Unfortunately the center arm was not tight and the rise of the awning was enough to allow the rod to slip out of the awing roller and come down. Unfortunately my wife's nice canvas chair was below and the pin on the end of the rod made for a nice cutting tool and sliced the canvas seat of her chair. Guess who was in trouble for this mental error....

My guess is that as the wind gust raised your awing, the rod fell out of it's hole on the roller. I now give that rod an extra tug as my last job when putting the awning up.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
How to repair a torn awning

I don't care for RTV either. It has always left me being disapointed.
Thanks for the heat sealing tidbit. Never thought of that.
I prefer to sew the patch. That is what I did when mine ripped seams. I might look a bit tacky when your within two feet or less (if its up you'll be to far from it to notice) but a sewn seam done properly will be stronger. Notice the other seams on the awning and copy the spacing and number of seams. After all, they still sew sails, don't they?
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote