Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Hi Barry,
I am interested in much the same awning configuration as what you have got. Could you give me a little info on the bracket under the trailer for securing the diagonal awning arm ( the part the arm slides over or into )?

Thank - You,

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #42
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Awnings for Sail

Now if you really want cheap and easy...
Find an old sail made of dacron.
Most can be had for give away prices.
They have a rope just like awnings.(check size)
And white is not the only color...find a catamaran sail 'Hobie' type, and you can have a rainbow of colors.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Outter edge improvement?

I'm needing to replace the fabric on my awning trouble is, the leading edge wears out much faster than the rest since it's exposed to sun nearly everyday. I'm thinking about making the leading edge out of some fabric that is UV resistant moreso than the rest of the awning.
I may sew a large zipper along the front so join the two pieces together. This way when this edge is worn and needs replacing, I only have a 12" strip to replace instead of the full panel.
I suppose you can just sew it on, but I have some long industrial zippers that need to be used.
Wondered if anyone else tried this approach.

Alt
Thealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Doug

Every time I look at the trailer ready to travel I like the look without awning parts hanging off of it, and the way mine is set up the awning is very unobtrusive.

It is also the "look" I get with this type of awning that is important for me. It is so close to period correct (I need scallops and my wooden poles) or at least the look I remember as a kid out camping with my family and that's what I want.

Barry
I agree wholeheartedly, nice looking awning. But my trailer is a '70s model. It had a zip dee that was replaced with a carefree that has rotted and is causing leaks. What does anyone think about reversing the "periods" and putting the earlier look on a later trailer?
A/SimpleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
A/SL

The one thing to remember is that mine takes some time to set up. If the weather is ugly it does make it a bit more work. Donna is game to help and it goes up in under ten minutes, but our friends just unhook a couple of things and then pull theirs out and they are done (sigh). One other option is a box awning so it's sealed up when not in use. The 17' Boler we had previously was not quite as round as an Airstream, but rounded all the same, and one of our buddies worked out a solution for mounting the awning so the rounded form did not cause awning issues. We were using A&E 2500 models I think. I'll ask him, and see if he's got either photos or instructions. Being in a silver box, it would actually disappear on the side of the trailer when not in use, but work like a zipdee/carefree when in use. It's still something I have in the back of my head to change to if we do decide to make it simple. The box is not much bigger around than the roll up I have now, and being silver would probably be less noticeable than the blue awning.

As for what would work for your trailer - you could go with new or old. Only another Airstreamer would likely have a clue as to probable age of your trailer, and we are for the most part pretty much into the "do your own thing" mode. I'd not have any problem using my awning on any year up to one that was obviously just a few years old, and only then because it's showing it's age.

Barry
Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
Ten minutes is good. Thanks for all the helpful info to consider.
A/SimpleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
A/SL

The one thing to remember is that mine takes some time to set up. If the weather is ugly it does make it a bit more work. Donna is game to help and it goes up in under ten minutes, but our friends just unhook a couple of things and then pull theirs out and they are done (sigh). One other option is a box awning so it's sealed up when not in use. The 17' Boler we had previously was not quite as round as an Airstream, but rounded all the same, and one of our buddies worked out a solution for mounting the awning so the rounded form did not cause awning issues. We were using A&E 2500 models I think. I'll ask him, and see if he's got either photos or instructions. Being in a silver box, it would actually disappear on the side of the trailer when not in use, but work like a zipdee/carefree when in use. It's still something I have in the back of my head to change to if we do decide to make it simple. The box is not much bigger around than the roll up I have now, and being silver would probably be less noticeable than the blue awning.

As for what would work for your trailer - you could go with new or old. Only another Airstreamer would likely have a clue as to probable age of your trailer, and we are for the most part pretty much into the "do your own thing" mode. I'd not have any problem using my awning on any year up to one that was obviously just a few years old, and only then because it's showing it's age.

Barry
Our tent trailer of yesteryear had an awning that rolled up into it's own zippered carry case. It (case and awning) mounted in the channel on the trailer with the fold-up and telescoping poles. I believe it was made by Carefree. The whole thing remained on the trailer rolled up. Of course an Airstream skin may get rubbed a bit but the awning and case could be slid out of the channel and carried in the coach.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
This is a great older thread on vintage awnings. I have one on the way for our 80 Excella, a 16' Sunbrella.
Where do you find the wooden rope tensioners that are used to keep the guy lines tight?
I have only found the plastic ones at REI. No other big box sports store here has any at all.

Also thanks for the idea of strapping the awning shut when traveling rather then removing it. I hope to find those grommets and locks too.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Any suggestions for what to lube the track with? Silicone or beeswax have been suggested.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Any suggestions for what to lube the track with? Silicone or beeswax have been suggested.
I used dish soap to lubricate the track. It worked fine, washed out with the first trailer washing, and no after effects.

As for the grommets and locks I see them at our Home Depot and any upholstery shop that does truck box covers will have them. That's what they are used for.

As for the wood rope tensioner I just made mine out of large dowel and drilled the holes - one straight through and the other angled. Take a look at how they are positioned on a plastic one in the store and then duplicate those angles in the wooden dowel.

Barry
Old 07-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks Barry, I got some tensioners from REI and will try those this coming week. I like the strap idea and will have to work on that.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the new vintage style awning worked out great. We went to a lake near here for four days, got caught in a couple of storms while there and it rolled the water right off when I lowered the side poles some. It looks cool too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning 3.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	63462   Click image for larger version

Name:	awning 4.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	63463  

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
That awning looks great. Glad it worked out for you. Nice pictures too and the reflection in the trailer is dynamite.

Barry
Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
Mine has a plant growing in it at the front in, will this effect performance???
bookman is offline   Reply With Quote