Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Which Grades Should I Use?

OK, I really need to get the polish ordered for my Trade Wind. I need advice specific to my situation. It is 24 ft, and has never been polished. The clear coat is generally intact but starting to fail. So it is my impression that the alumunium ought to be in fair shape. I am planning to get 2 gallons of remov all 220 (does this sound like the proper amount?) to strip the remaining overcoat and then start in with the nuvite. What I have been unable to determine or get input on is which grade(s) I am likely to need to use. Additionally, how much of each I am likely to need would be useful. I appreciate any insight from those of you who have done this. Below is a discription of grades from the vintage airstream site for reference.

Quote:
GRADE S - Very Fine
Grade S is a finishing grade that gives a really deep, clear image when used as a final step on a properly prepared, oxidation-free surface. Best used with a Cylco polisher to eliminate swirl marks in the finished surface. Grade S is not abrasive, so it won't remove oxidation. It will, however, remove swirl marks and create an unbeatable mirror. If you are looking for a polish for annual touch ups to remove very light oxidation, try Nuvite Grade A.

GRADE A - Fine
Nuvite Grade A has a fine abrasive in it. It is used with a Cyclo dual head orbital polisher for touching up a recently polished trailer. Great for annual maintenance and light touch up before using Grade S for final mirror finish.

GRADE C - Medium
Grade C is a cutting polish. We recommend using it to prep for use of Grade S. It is not as coarse as F7, so do not start with it if your trailer is heavily oxidized. Use Grade C to touch up a trailer that has been polished in recent years but has some noticable oxidation returning.

GRADE F7 - Coarse
F7 is a heavy cut polish. It has a very hard and sharp, but very fine, abrasive that continues it’s cutting action throughout the buffing process. It is best used for removing corrosion or heavy oxidation from aluminum surfaces. It is usually best to follow F7 with C and then grade S.

GRADE G6 - Coarse Special
G6 is unique because it changes its structure during use. G6, unlike the other grades of Nuvite polish, has a high-tech media system that is designed to do a quick, aggressive oxidation cut, and immediately break down to a finer action, similar to Grade C. Use G6 when there is normal to serious oxidation on the surface of the aluminum, or even when very light corrosion is evident. It acts quickly but gently to get to a “healed” surface finish.

In many cases, you may not need this polish. However, you may like to use it instead of F7 when the surface is unpolished, mill-finish, or has been allowed to deteriorate. Also good for blending surface scratches.

GRADE F9 - Very Coarse
F9 is the coarsest Nuvite grade. It is not normally necessary for polishing Airstreams or other alclad aluminum trailers. It can be used to remove serious corrosion and surface blemishes. It can also be used to repair abrasive pad scratching left by previous owners. Nuvite also recommends F9 for prepping non-alclad aluminum surfaces for polishing.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
My PO had polished mine a few years prior to my purchase and if was oxidizing but still had some shine. I started with grade C then used mothers for the final polish because it was much cheaper. Mothers worked fine for the final coat.
Based on my experience, I would think that the C-grade would be a good starting point, given that the clear will have protected it and the skin shouldn't be in bad shape.
FWIW,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Marshall , North Carolina
Rodney, In my case I started with an automotive compound and removed 50-70% of the heavy oxidation with a 7" variable speed rotary buffer. Takes several applications in some spots. Then I went to Nuvite "A" and then "S". Used a random orbital buffer for these stages. Still needed some extra work in a few really bad places to remove the "milky" look, so went back to "C" and finished with "A" and "S". I wish I had started with "F7" and saved some time in the beginning. Guess what really matters is what kind of condtion you are starting with...Mine was a mess. If yours is in fairly good condition I would start with "A" and decide how it is doing. Believe me you can order the "C" if you need it and the "S" and get it in plenty of time. It's going to take a while!!! Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!
Hank A is offline   Reply With Quote