Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
Anderson , California
Looking to share 1/2 an order of Clear Coat Stripper in the Redding, (North) Ca area

New to the forum here. Dad gave me his 1976 21' Globe Trotter International, and it needs a strip.

I guess the smallest purchase amount is 5 gallons which is way more than I need obviously, and thought there may be someone in the area with the same issue.

So let me know.

Kindest regards,

Pat...
AirstreamPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I'm not sure what brand of stripper you are planning to buy 5 gallons of, but my recommendation would be to simply go to your big box store (Home Depot or Loew's) and buy some "Citri-strip," which worked just fine taking the clear coat off my '73. If you want something that is much more caustic and horrible, try "Aircraft Stripper," which is sold at some auto parts stores like Pep Boys.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
Anderson , California
That would be great. I mentioned the 5 gallon product as it's mentioned here on other threads, but if that product works that would be great.

Question...

I'm really not into a mirror finish that requires a polishing chore annually. I was hoping I can strip the clear coat, then just put like a wax on it to keep the AL from oxidizing.

How would that look? Do you have to take a wheel to it and polish it, or will stripping then wax be OK for a non "mirror" finish look?

It would be great to just wax once a year. Not looking for a maintenance intensive finish.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I have stripped the old finish off of my '73, but have done no further polishing. You will notice that the appearance brightens up with the clear coat removed, but those areas that had deteriorated/missing clear coat on them, may have already become more oxidized than the rest, so will look duller/grayer.

There are products like "Diamond Brite" toolbox polish that are for shining up those aluminum toolboxes. You might try a bit of this stuff to further brighten it up. You can apply it with a rag or a typical automotive buffer--it is a lot more like a wax than the true polishing compounds, in fact, it has propertes of a wax, in that as I recall, it helps shed water, etc., as well.

Be careful using any of the strippers--they will eat anything that is plastic (ie., clearanc elight lenses). And don't get too impatient with the process--I found that the first application of the stripper got most of the clear coat off, but that I needed to come back with a stripper "afterwash" to get the remaining residue. I found the Cirti-strip pretty benign to work with. The "Aircraft Stripper" really made me fear for my health as it is so strongly Ammonia smelling.

good luck!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
Anderson , California
Awesome... did you happen to post any pics of your rig?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 21' Globetrotter
Anderson , California
Can the citrus stripper be pressure washed off?
Old 03-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Didn't post any pics as part of that operation. I did pressure wash off the Citri-strip--wasn't sure whether that was more effective than wiping with rags--probably easier, but not sure if it was equally effective.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I just got the 5gal stripper from VTS and had been looking for someone local to share this with. Redding is about 3 1/2 hours from Santa Rosa, don't know if there is any way to make it convenient, but I can't believe I'll need 5 gallons for a 19' trailer.