Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Airhead in An Airstream

1973 27' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Longview , Texas
How should I seal a polished trailer?

Hi all,

I have a question about the best way to seal my our AS trailer. I have polished the whole trailer with F9 and plan to work my way thru the finer grades of polish, ending with the cyclopolisher.

At some point I want to seal the exterior seams, rivets, etc . I think I want to use CAPTAIN TOLLEYS Crack Cure Sealant on the rivets and Trempo 635 on the seams. I am a little concerned that the Trempro 635 might not adhere to super smooth aluminum.

Would you all please advise me on my choice of sealants and when to apply them?

Thanks in advance,
SCopp
SCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I like Tempro the best. It stays supple & doesn't get brittle after a couple of years (I think Parbond tends to get brittle after a couple of years). I've completely sealed two polished trailers with it & was happy with the results.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Airhead in An Airstream

1973 27' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Longview , Texas
Thanks Becky,

I've read your threads- I'm also doing the yucky bellypan and have found snakeskins, skulls, all kind of stuff. I'm amazed people actually slept in the trailer! Did you apply the Tempro after the final polish? And did you clearcoat your trailers?

Susan
SCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I actually applied before polishing, because I had a lot of leaks. If you can, do it after you polish, because the polishing process messes up the Tempro (turns it black) and you have to go back & clean it all up again (lacquer thinner or mineral spirits will take it off). I didn't clear coat my trailers. The clear coat Airstream uses is different that the clear coat you can purchase at an auto store. It has some kind of plastic in it, so it has some give while traveling. I just put on two coats of caranuba wax right after I'm finished polishing & wax it again in the fall. I actually put a cover on my Sovereign (gasp!) and just took it off to show it to a potential buyer. It looks fabulous & I will cover it again if they don't take her home. I used a lot of rope around it both long ways & around to keep it from blowing. Since there's no clear coat, the only thing that could scratch is the aluminum. I figured I could buff out any scratches that might appear, but there weren't any!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote