Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2018, 04:41 AM   #1
Take me back to the 70's

1970 21' Globetrotter
1971 29' Ambassador
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA
Anyone use Festool Polisher?

At only 4 lbs compared to 8, is it worth the price tag of $500+ ?
I have hand/neck/nerve issues as it is, but haven’t read many reviews on it. I’ve been using a HF polisher with Zephyr polish and pads on a few panels until my Nuvite and Dewalt was delivered. Dewalt @8 lbs i haven’t even tried yet..

What’s another few $$ ... [emoji1383]*♀️
75 20' Argosy Motorhome...ISO. radiator
jamimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
I don't know too much about the polisher to which you're referring, but being a woodworking hobbyist, I do know the name: Festool. They are very well known in the woodworking tool business. They have an excellent reputation for each and every one of their tools. I have friends (with much more money than I) that have Festool tools. That being said, I have yet to be able to justify spending the money on one of their tools, instead of the more consumer popular brands. They're not just a bit more, they are a LOT more. Kind of like coach vs first class in airfare. Only worthwhile on a REAL long trip. Let us know if you buy one, you're input.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
There is a pretty wide gap between Harbor Freight and Festool...and those essentially represent the furthest two ends of the spectrum. Have you looked at other buffers/polishers? Such as those from Griot’s Garage? If weight savings is really ideal, then pneumatic may be an option to consider if you already have a compressor (or have other needs to justify adding one). The Griot’s pneumatic is 1.5#, their 6” electric is 6#, the G15/21 are in the 5# range.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Another woodworker here with exposure to a wide range of Festool products. Personally, I find Festool equipment to be extremely well engineered and very long lasting in daily production work.

If you aren't going to master the subtle techniques so you can enter the 'detailing' profession then any number of competing polishers will produce similar results for far less money. As is the case with most tools, the operator is the biggest differentiator between outcomes of similar quality/featured tools.

This YouTube might help you decide which machine and features fit your need/skill:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZtRAlV3e_40

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Most of the value of the festool system is seen in integration – systainers, dust collection, linkages with their work holding tools. I have a bunch of their tools, and the more I accumulate the more benefits I see.

I am not sure you would see that sort of value from a polisher, but I can say that their sanding equipment is very good at eliminating vibration. If the vibration is a major concern for you, I imagine that their polisher is probably a good performer in that regard.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
I am a jack-of-all-trades and have been buying and using tools for over 40 years. I have renovated several homes. Festool has no equal. If you build a bookshelf using a Dewalt Track Saw and the same bookshelf using a Festool Track Saw, you will have a nicer finished product much sooner with the Festool. In another example, I replaced 7 interior doors and needed to route the hinges. I gave up trying to get a Bosch router to work and bought Festool. Problem solved. Here’s another example, when I replaced my roof, I decked over some old skylights and had to fill in the rectangular spaces on the interior vaulted ceiling. The final step required mudding and sanding the sheetrock. Given the height and angle and trying to manage this by hand, I ended up with a sore neck. I bought a Festool Planex and knocked out a smooth and finished ceiling in quick time. I have several other Festool products including a Rotex. It works great. If you buy one Festool product, you will buy another. Quality pays, it doesn’t cost.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have a shop full of Festool woodworking tools. I've pretty much replaced my DeWalt, Porter Cable and Makita tools. I have had good service from these tools but Festool quality is amazing an the integration with their dust extractors gives me another level of versatility. I also like the precision. But they are expensive.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote