Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Nikiski , Alaska
Festool for Final Stage Polishing?

Hey all, so I'm gearing up to get some polishing done here in a few weeks and wanted to get some input, I own several Festool brand tools cause they're amazing, and I have among them a 6" Rotex, I was wondering if anyone in here has used this with success in polishing their trailer? Thanks for reading!
Jakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakattack View Post
Hey all, so I'm gearing up to get some polishing done here in a few weeks and wanted to get some input, I own several Festool brand tools cause they're amazing, and I have among them a 6" Rotex, I was wondering if anyone in here has used this with success in polishing their trailer? Thanks for reading!

I have a fair amount of festool stuff...but I can't imagine using a rotex to buff/polish a trailer....

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I have a fair amount of festool stuff...but I can't imagine using a rotex to buff/polish a trailer....

I've used it before on an airplane wing table I once made, also have read about a guy in the FOG using it to buff his trailer... it seemed to work fine for the buffing, but that was the only experience buffing aluminum I had, I guess I don't know what that would be like on a 26' trailer and I don't have anything else to base the results on, I've also seen the airplane drum buffers in action, those look appealing as well
Old 02-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
I think that tool was designed to remove material faster while finish sanding, but you would have to test it in your application. Machines designed for polishing have well controlled speed dials. Detailers seem to use a straight rotary action for aggressive cutting with the risk of leaving swirl marks if handled improperly. Dual action machines are more forgiving on the swirls. Some of the larger more powerful ones can still handle corrections, but at a slower rate than a rotary. A Rupes Bigfoot would be an example of that type.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Festool has great speed control. Don't see why it wouldn't work.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use a cyclo and toolbox polish quite easy
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Schaumburg , Illinois
good afternoon fellow Airstreamers..
I use the orbital action of festool sanders, including the Rotex 150 for final rub out of brush on finishes for wood, and it works fine.. same principal as for any other material.
To be certain, buy a sheet of aluminum from a big box store, and give it a "whirl".

I don't think the Rotex in dual action is a good idea, but try on the test piece. The test will tell the true story

Peace in our time
pressdr
Pressdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Festool has great speed control. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

That's what I'm saying, just curious if anyone has tried both cyclo and rotex side by side
Old 02-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I use a cyclo and toolbox polish quite easy

I'd like to avoid buying another tool to carry around, that's what I enjoy with festool, they are durable, and versatile... I was hoping to see if anyone has compared other tools to the cyclo
Old 02-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressdr View Post
good afternoon fellow Airstreamers..
I use the orbital action of festool sanders, including the Rotex 150 for final rub out of brush on finishes for wood, and it works fine.. same principal as for any other material.
To be certain, buy a sheet of aluminum from a big box store, and give it a "whirl".

I don't think the Rotex in dual action is a good idea, but try on the test piece. The test will tell the true story

Peace in our time
pressdr

That's good idea, I'll grab some aluminum and try it out... I've used it on wood slabs as well, and since I know how everyone likes pictures, here's one of a slab I did last year with the rotex... it's a slab from 200+ year old maple tree that was all burly and full of figure

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8614.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	709.1 KB
ID:	280581Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8618.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	723.1 KB
ID:	280582
Old 02-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Quote:
You will need a Cyclo Dual Head Orbital Polisher. E-mail: swiftlychs@aol.com. The Swift Museum Foundation, Inc The aircraft co can send you a great DVD on polishing. Phone: 423-745-9547.
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMac View Post
You will need a Cyclo Dual Head Orbital Polisher. E-mail: swiftlychs@aol.com. The Swift Museum Foundation, Inc The aircraft co can send you a great DVD on polishing. Phone: 423-745-9547.

Thanks GailMac!! I'll look into that!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
I would contact the Festool USA help line and ask for advice on which pads to acquire. I would also contact 3M to find out what they suggest.

Please do report back on what you learn.

If you're polishing a clearcoat, I know these compounds and polishes do an extraordinary job. I brought my previous truck (a RAM 1500 in Maximum Steel) to a detailed who spent a couple of hours working through these 3 bottles and the results were SPECTACULAR ... on clearcoat, mind you.

I was contemplating using my Rotex on the Jeep's windshield to polish it up ... that's a distant project.

Please do get back!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1204.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	280596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	280597  

Name:	IMG_1208.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	280598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	280600  

Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
By the way, Jakattack, that's a gorgeous slab! And a beautiful finish. I'm curious if you wouldn't mind describing the process/components you used to achieve those results... PM me if inappropriate to post here (since it would be grossly off-topic). Thanks, Rich

Quote:
That's good idea, I'll grab some aluminum and try it out... I've used it on wood slabs as well, and since I know how everyone likes pictures, here's one of a slab I did last year with the rotex... it's a slab from 200+ year old maple tree that was all burly and full of figure

Attachment 280581Attachment 280582
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:05 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
I would contact the Festool USA help line and ask for advice on which pads to acquire. I would also contact 3M to find out what they suggest.

Please do report back on what you learn.

If you're polishing a clearcoat, I know these compounds and polishes do an extraordinary job. I brought my previous truck (a RAM 1500 in Maximum Steel) to a detailed who spent a couple of hours working through these 3 bottles and the results were SPECTACULAR ... on clearcoat, mind you.

I was contemplating using my Rotex on the Jeep's windshield to polish it up ... that's a distant project.

Please do get back!

Very informative! Thank you for the post! I've decided to grab some test metal and a few of the products everyone has mentioned and a few that I've read about elsewhere... I'll give it a go and post what I've learned with pictures
Old 03-01-2017, 04:10 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Nikiski , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
By the way, Jakattack, that's a gorgeous slab! And a beautiful finish. I'm curious if you wouldn't mind describing the process/components you used to achieve those results... PM me if inappropriate to post here (since it would be grossly off-topic). Thanks, Rich

I'll send you a message, it's a process I developed after studying the entire process for over 4 months from chemistry experts in the field of finishing, and master woodworkers... my personality won't typically let me do something without knowing as much as I can or at least enough to feel comfortable