Old 07-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Maybe the rain has a lot of acid in it here in Texas. None of the products I have tried lasted more than a couple of weeks. I did notice that you are right Becky on the polish job needs to be as good as you can get it. The area's where the polish is really good, not hardly any water spots, and the area's that are not as good water spots a plenty. Looks like I am back to the polisher for a super fine finish if I want to even have a chance to keep the spotting in check.
Thanks for the observation Becky.

Al
Archersfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
You may not care for this idea but it worked for me.

I was having problems with water spots and had to keep going back over the areas I had polished so I came up with the following after much testing.

After polishing at the end of the day I would go over the polished area with mineral spirits then Turtle Wax and then wipe it down with self rising flour.

After that I never had a problem with water spots and re-waxed with Turtle Wax every spring.

There is a thread "finally got started" that has more info on polishing than you will care to know.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post

I was having problems with water spots and had to keep going back over the areas I had polished so I came up with the following after much testing.

After polishing at the end of the day I would go over the polished area with mineral spirits then Turtle Wax and then wipe it down with self rising flour.

After that I never had a problem with water spots and re-waxed with Turtle Wax every spring.

There is a thread "finally got started" that has more info on polishing than you will care to know.

What do you think the self rising flour does? Just curious if there is a chemist or scientist here who would know why self rising flour would make a difference on the finish?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I shined my previous Airstream, then maintained it sneakily. I got one of those house wash hose attachments where I could put a fluid in a chamber and have it mixed with city water. I'd fill that chamber with the rain-x screen wash (the generic Rain-off stuff, usually $1.88/bottle at Walmart) and spray it over the entire body, then brush it over with a long arm soft brush, then spray it again.

I'd do this monthly in summer and every 2 months in cooler weather. It would take maybe 10 minutes to do the whole thing, with two bottles each time.

A great saving of time and money.

I got pretty good results. Rain would always bead off the roof, and wouldn't even bead on the sides, but roll right off. Cleaning bugs was "fairly easy" with a couple of good pre-soaks with the same stuff
Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archersfin View Post
Maybe the rain has a lot of acid in it here in Texas.
It could be the opposite of acidic, base, which often means salt. That would be more of an issue in well or surface waters. Anyway, the further you get from Ph 0, the more corrosive it is and, I guess, the more spots.

After following this thread, the problems seem to be with older trailers that can be very shiny rather than newer ones with clear coat. Makes me glad to own a newer, not so shiny, one.

Gene
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I was told wipe it down with flour and self rising was what I happened to have on hand.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
I was told wipe it down with flour and self rising was what I happened to have on hand.
But tell me, what purpose does the flour serve? What does it do chemically, or physically? I'm just wondering......

And Gene, yes, the problem is with polished trailers (some not quite so old) that do not have clear coat on them. You're safe!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
polished

Quote:

I have no idea what the flour is susposed to do. It was one of the things that came up when I was polishing the AS so I tried it along with many many other things and it seemed to help.

I did stop having water spots once I did the above.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mmmm, breaded trailer, fresh baked in the sun. Yummy.

Gene
Old 07-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Being a photographer I used to use a solution of water and glyceryn to prevent my negs from water spotting.I wonder what would happen if someone tried to spray glycerin on the shell and wipe off on a small spot to see how long it lasts.When water hits it it sheets off,but I don't know how long it would stay on the wax.Worth at try.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Being a photographer I used to use a solution of water and glyceryn to prevent my negs from water spotting.I wonder what would happen if someone tried to spray glycerin on the shell and wipe off on a small spot to see how long it lasts.When water hits it it sheets off,but I don't know how long it would stay on the wax.Worth at try.
Where would I get the glycerin at? I'm willing to try anything at this point

Al
Old 07-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archersfin View Post
Where would I get the glycerin at? I'm willing to try anything at this point
Do you have any friends who make soap? Or local homemade soap makers? Glycerin is a waste product of soap manufacture. They may give it to you for free.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Look at post #11 in this thread for flour use. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...ing-46132.html

Al
Old 07-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm sure they have glycerin at Walgreens or CVS or some other drug store. I used to use it to make bubbles for my kids when they were little. I might even have some......a 4th panel! I'll try it out. I'm also going to give the whole AS a bath of Rain-X like Dave Park did. And then I might powder some of it with flour. I think I'll have to use post-its to remember what I have, where!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S