Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskyrider8 View Post
Wow, no shortage of opinions here.
Opinions and information are the only things that are free these days. I am all about getting as much info out there and allowing one to make a smart choice before the money that is so hard to earn these days is gone. Hopefully someone in the Market for a generator will read this thread and realize that other options are available then the red and blue machine. I'lll bet you will see more of the yellow machines at your local camp sites as the word gets out.
Shaggy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
The float bowl doesn't get all the gas removed that way. I checked it.
Thats absolutely correct and both Yamaha and Champion still recommend draining the bowl for winter/long term storage. It does however remove the majority of the fuel and decrease the likely hood of it gumming up if you will. Built a few carb's on my motorcycle and boat and thats no fun.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1970AS View Post
Opinions and information are the only things that are free these days. I am all about getting as much info out there and allowing one to make a smart choice before the money that is so hard to earn these days is gone. Hopefully someone in the Market for a generator will read this thread and realize that other options are available then the red and blue machine. I'lll bet you will see more of the yellow machines at your local camp sites as the word gets out.
I would not recommend a china built machine to anyone at any price.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I would not recommend a china built machine to anyone at any price.
Just wondering if you have an iPhone? LMAO
Old 04-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1970AS View Post
Just wondering if you have an iPhone? LMAO
I have a 7yr old Motorola razr. I buy NOS ones off ebay to use.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If possible, run no alcohol gas in your little engines. Here is a web site which will tell you if you can get it close to you. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Since I started doing that each and every one of my single cylinder engines has run better and has had no carb gumming issues. I do live in a colder climate and gas does not deteriorate as fast here. So, my Honda's, my ATV's, my lawn tractor all start right up in the spring now, and that was not true in the past when I didn't use non alcohol gas in them.

My Honda 3000 got pressed into sudden service the other day when the power here at the house went out. It had not been run in 6 months. I found that by accident I did not even shut the gas off to the carb the last time I used it, and of course never drained it. About 3 seconds of cranking (electric start) and it was off and running, smooth and quiet as usual.

I have no problems with alcohol gas in my modern cars, they were designed and built with it in mind. It is the little carb type engines from another era which seem to be most sensitive to it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Interestingly there was another forum member on this topic about a month ago. I will plug again for Yamaha- hands down on anything below a 3000 as their design is superior. What I learned from members on that other thread is that once you get to a Honda 3000 then it is about equal in design between Yamaha and Honda but the Honda is about $300-400 more, no wheels, go figure. I would study the differences if I were you and look also at some others that have been mentioned. Dometic has one now too for less. The issue is parts. I will say that if you go with a smaller generator, go with a Yamaha. There are several differences between them and Honda, on smaller models- fuel gauge, metal engine parts vs. plastic, direct drive versus a belt to name a few. I have an 11K BTU AC Dometic Penguin and a 2400isHC runs it easily while using other things. Your use may be different. Oh, on the parts thread readers, I checked on this after being questioned on the other thread. It is true about the parts on Honda as plastic and the belt driven below the 3000 model. Also mommy thrice, consider a tri-fuel model (on that runs on LP or gasoline) as the #1 issue with generators is clogged carbs from gas. The corn gas doesn't help either. You can DIY tri fuel with a kit or have a dealer do it (warrantied) as I did. Here is a Yammy dealer that tri-fuels the units by order. They have a new patent that makes it easier to do now.

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com

Here is the kit link (same company)

A and C Propane Natural Gas Conversion Kits

I know there are some that complained of this company but they were super nice to me, guided me through the adjustment procedure with LP and sent pictures of the fall leaves in WV just because I mentioned missing that in FL from when I was a kid.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Which generator for newbie?

I have the 15k AC in middle and 13.5 AC over front bed -

Seems to me the 15k really complicates my decision process for next year's plans for dry camping

I'm near to point if just getting a 1k of some sort and waiting for Santa for it

Any opinions on best setup taking out AC from equation

Someone earlier described their 1k I recall setup and some bit of solar?

Edit: clarify - it's so hot down here I think I have been just thinking about not camping without hookups in the hottest months and plan dry camping for all other 8ish months

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
@Pharmgeek, I would certainly get one to run your AC. Really, unless you boondock, there is no reason for a generator but you may want that air at some point. Pull your book out on the specs on that AC unit and add the fan and compressor current draw. I looked up the Dometic 15K. It draws 16.1 max. continuous. That draw will dictate the generator. As I just looked before posting above, there is a definite difference in price right now between Yammy and Honda. If your unit is the Dometic 15K then it requires about 1900-2000 watts to run continuous with a startup. A boost model (10 sec/500 watts) should work fine. A 3000 SEB would work for air but not too much else (at once). That would be my choice.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Seems to me the 15k really complicates my decision process for next year's plans for dry camping
I'm with you on the 15,000 BTU AC units complicating things a bit as it looks like one would need a 3000+ unit to run everything. My issue is I have a 9000 watt unit I use as a backup for my house and a 1750 Colman unit that has been sitting in the corner of my shop for years and never used. The issue (for me) is the 9000 is to big to haul around and the 1750 is to small to run everything. As I have a convection over/micro combo instead of the standard gas oven and I'm guessing that will use more juice than the little 1750 can deliver. So even taking the AC unit out of the picture, I'm thinking I still don't have the ability to (not) spend more $$ and buy something....

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Lots of great advice. Now I just need to work through it all.

One more question... what do you do to prevent theft?
Would a bicycle lock through the handle of the genny and around an axle or frame work?
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
An advantage to Yamahas are that the off switch cuts off the gas and you can run the carb dry. Not so on a Honda (you have to run the whole tank dry). Saves headaches and gummed up carbs.
The honda generator 1000i and 2000i have a drain for the carb ( bowl ) just pull off the cover and use a normal slot screwdriver on carb bowl unscrew it and fuel will flow out a clear hose to the bottom of case , this I only do if I'm not going to use the generator for some time ,you don't have to drain it every time you use it just if it's going to not be used for 8 weeks or more
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp View Post
The honda generator 1000i and 2000i have a drain for the carb ( bowl ) just pull off the cover and use a normal slot screwdriver on carb bowl unscrew it and fuel will flow out a clear hose to the bottom of case , this I only do if I'm not going to use the generator for some time ,you don't have to drain it every time you use it just if it's going to not be used for 8 weeks or more
Yes that's true, but it seems more reliable with the fuel cut off on the Yamaha. As in I was going to use it within a month but didn't and forgot to drain the bowl.

My Yamaha also has a bowl drain but it's a little harder to get to than on my Hondas.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommythrice View Post
Lots of great advice. Now I just need to work through it all.

One more question... what do you do to prevent theft?
Would a bicycle lock through the handle of the genny and around an axle or frame work?
Yes you can do that ,if you do a search on internet , I have seen special locks for the honda 2000i can't remember if they were from honda or aftermarket, or you can chain your Rottweiler dog to handle of generator .( ha ha )
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida

Pharmgeek, how many people are I'm your AS at a given time? Your could run either unit and cool that camper. I have done the calculations for btu using two different industry formulas. I learned abut the oven and 3 people limit of my 25' with my 11k unit which is just fine for me with my window area. The pano window models, using the one formula would require a 13,5 unit if three adults were in a 25. Consider this for your AC use. What you do not want is too much AC for a given space. You can probably run on the one 15k unit alone.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida

They make truck bed locking systems. I bought the lock online then added my own harness.

Yamahas have a petcock valve that makes it easy to run the gen out of gas. For the occasional user I would still recommend LP operation. BTW, the petcock does run the carb out of fuel.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Pharmgeek, how many people are I'm your AS at a given time? Your could run either unit and cool that camper. I have done the calculations for btu using two different industry formulas. I learned abut the oven and 3 people limit of my 25' with my 11k unit which is just fine for me with my window area. The pano window models, using the one formula would require a 13,5 unit if three adults were in a 25. Consider this for your AC use. What you do not want is too much AC for a given space. You can probably run on the one 15k unit alone.

I've wondered if running the 13.5k alone would cut it -

30 foot bunkhouse unit - two adults - 1 year old - a 3.5 year old and a boston terrier

The placement of the 13.5 is on far front end but it could in theory work to keep things ok - maybe?

Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Just quickly ran the figures on your 30'11" unit and it has 48 sq ft more than a 25' and needs 12,000 on the one formula and 14,379 on the other. In the evening I am sure it would be closer to the lower number. Either way, the bigger AC unit in the middle might be the best choice for figuring generator selection. You could always run the smaller one instead. The little "critters" probably together add up to an adult- so three but your added space makes a difference.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
From what I can tell, when considering AC the higher BTU required formula figures on potentials- oven in the room, people heat, etc. while the other is basically square feet, ceiling height and insulation with ambient temp. IMHO it is a telling range when used together.

As part of a generator thread the choice of AC unit may have been already made and wattage is not too difficult to calculate from amps load. The generator should not be loaded more than 70-75% capacity to run an ac for an evening per se. In most situations a 3000 watt gen will meet the need. In some cases a 2400 as in a 11,000 like mine.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
this was discussed in another thread, but can a 3000 run the 15K at 75% power? Mine is a dometic 15k....I recall another thread it was said that it would not but im not sure.

I am just researching this for fun for possible purchase next year....for now we have no boondocking plans, but in the near future I will...also, I still have not yet had my 30 or 50amp power installed at home and next year I plan on having family visit and will use the trailer in summer for sleeping....so I suppose if I never bother with the power upgrade for my parking pad, I could just use a gennie for the few times a year company stays....wonder if something like a honda 3000 would be heard by neighbors