Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Pet Peeves / Solutions

Alright, so i just bought my first Airstream,2007 25' FB,SE. The purpose of this thread is to discuss problems and solutions regarding design/functionality of airstream trailers. I am a retired Architect who has camped alot so design and functionality are my forte. Its the nuances that hopefully we come up with that will improve our camping experience!!!
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
So here is first pet peeve. Fortunately it is not my problem as i found a brand new 2007 airstream and not a 2008, but for you folks that may be ordering a new one, here's the problem. Vinyl flooring !. The new 2008's all have a vinyl flooring different from the 2007's. It's an embossed (raised) design that has narrow strips in two directions, lke quilt /patchwork fashion. Good luck as this is going to be a constant cleaning nightmare, collecting heaps of dirt vrs a smoother non embossed one directional vinyl floor. Whoever came up with this particular flooring from airstream should be fired, as it is a major mistake !!! If you are ordering a new airstream see if you can get the prior years vinyl flooring (they may have some left), or perhaps they will change design midyear as they sometimes do. Good Luck, Fred
Old 12-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If one orders from the factory, I wonder if you couldn't specify flooring type. Have them istall marmoleum or other sheet goods to your own specs. I'm an Architect as well and with two Labrador Retrievers, I tend to design for durability as well as aesthetic.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
This reply is more in the "design", than "functionality" area; But AS's have always had what IMHO are marginal frames. Also, the interface between shell, frame,and floor, is suspect. I sometimes wonder if AS has now, or ever has had,on the payroll, a "real" structural engineer. The problems of frame sagging, shell seperation, and rotting floors from water intrusion, are decades old issues. In the AS design, the lack of a curved steel frame connecting the ends of the outriggers, forces the floor, in the areas between the outriggers to carry all the loads, with only a thin, aluminum channel to help. The design of this whole area almost insures leakage and subsequent floor problems over the years.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Composite floors would go a long way to solve the floor rot problem.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
You're right about composite flooring, properly integrated into the system, would go a long way to prevent future problems. If shell was attached to the frame, directly, with floor inside of connection, this would be even better. A few lb's of steel and aluminum would make a world of difference. As to your floor cleaning issue, I would love to have a nicely finished hardwood floor with some throw rugs; easily cleaned, and so warm and beautifull.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Airstream has stated they will make changes to your trailer for the price of a change order, plus whatever the stuff costs.
As someone whose nickname for a time was "slewfoot", the ridged/raised flooring may be for better traction when wet.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
_

. , .
hi fred...

this your floor is an issue?

until recently most/all units were fully CARPETED.

only a few years ago did they start using vinyl and it was limited to the galley area.

while safari and ccd units started using vinyl 5-6 years ago, i paid EXTRA to have full vinyl with NO carpet.

there are some interesting threads on the various a/s floors (good and bad) tried over the years...

you may benefit from reading or searching the archives.

also, many threads already here on design issues, improvements, peeves and so on...

here's just a couple but there are many of them.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...ngs-29964.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...nts-18053.html

as a new owner and poster it might be useful to scan these threads too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-31210.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-21553.html

there are annual threads like these back into 04 and with hundreds of posts...

there are also more generic fit/finish/materials threads like these...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f293...ity-27019.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

and there are another slew of threads on design issues, like this one...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...sic-37114.html

it seems there are lots of design, engineers, archi' and so on who have better ways to build 'em...

so, many of the restoration threads have photos and tips on greatly improved units...

happy peeving!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
They do Composite flooring for the overseas market as well as radiant heat. No Furnace and blower. I like it!
The flooring is probably not the composite you are thinking about though.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my question is: If you don't own it or you didn't buy it why are you complaining?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Bob,
Well i guess i have a natural propensity to complain. Well actually i just happened to notice that was major difference between 07 and 08 Safaris'

Hey 2Air,
Thanks for all those post links, i see corrosion is really a big issue. I will check that out closely when i go for final pick up/delivery of my rig.

Another pet peeve, actually the main one i had, which is inclusive of most rigs, including mine is the shower standing floor space. I was trying to see if i could order a rig without the built in fiberglass seat,which takes up precious floor space. Answer was no.They said that most folks like that feature. Well that was BS,(i don't know anyone who likes to sit down to take a shower),and actually the recess created by the seat is where the outside shower access/components are located. So that was main reason (i concluded.)
Fred
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfred
Another pet peeve, actually the main one i had, which is inclusive of most rigs, including mine is the shower standing floor space. I was trying to see if i could order a rig without the built in fiberglass seat,which takes up precious floor space. Answer was no.They said that most folks like that feature. Well that was BS,(i don't know anyone who likes to sit down to take a shower),and actually the recess created by the seat is where the outside shower access/components are located. So that was main reason (i concluded.)
Fred

my last a/s had a standing only shower, like a small phone booth...

it was adequate, but even at 25 when i was loose as a goose, bending over was as issue in such a small space.

now that i've got a seat i love it!

for boondocking, and trying to conserve water it is very useful.

-sit, wet down quickly n turn off the water.

-lather up while sitting. take your time, no need to bend over or stand 'crane style' to get yer toes...

-then rinse quckly while standing.

perhaps the outside plumbing on your unit is located under the seat...

but on mine the seat is over a wheel well and contains plumbing lines to the galley.

i think a/s is tellin' ya the truth, folks DO like the sitting space.

have fun gettin' to know your hut.

cheers
2air'

can't edit my first post, but it should read "think your floor is an issue?"

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
We ordered our 2008 27FBSE with the "old" vinyl floor and had it installed throughout. I'm certain we paid an upcharge, but in the negotiations it got worked into our other upgrades. (We had the couch and dinette covered in the ultraleather used in the Classics.) We objected to the "new" vinyl because it appeared so "busy". Picked up our new Airstream 2 weeks ago and the old vinyl floor looks terrific with the tan ultraleather and the dark counter tops (Midnight Sun). We were told the factory would supply the old vinyl for as long as it is available. It appears they are continuing to use it in the Internationals, so they must have enough to go around.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
My 25' Safari six sleeper is carpeted, with the exception of the bath area, which makes perfect sense to me. IMHO carpet does not belong around a toilet anyway.
I am a fan of hard flooring in a trailer. My '72 has laminate flooring which is MUCH easier to keep clean when boondocking.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:11 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I think you will find the space under the seat un-usable. You will be sitting on the wheel well in my trailer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
No Aluminum shells directly to frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebowdrie
If shell was attached to the frame, directly, with floor inside of connection, this would be even better.
Aluminum to steel doesn't work so well, thus bolting shell -> wood -> frame. Those old Land Rovers have problems where the body mounts to the frame, especially the firewall area. Maybe thin rubber/plastic insulators @ mounting points would resolve this though?
airbassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Welcome to the Forum, Airbassador. Your point is well taken. I should have been more specific, conserning the issues of corrosion. The Navys of the world, as well as the shipbuliding,and yacht industries have spent billions of dollors ouer the last fifty years developing methods of connecting aluminum decks and superstructures onto steel hulls in such a way as to eliminate the problem of both galvanic and electrolitic corrosion, they have been very sucessfull in these efforts. A simple barrior strip of a high density material will do fine for the relativly easy life of a trailer, ( compared to the constant salt water attack in the ocean ). In the AS, there is a more or less constant degree of condensation going on within the walls. since plywood is rather soft and easily compressed, it is only a matter of time before the condensate finds it's way thru a fastener and starts attacking the wood. The unsupported plywood edges, subject to the torsional stresses of the aluminum shell cannot hope to deal with this issue for long, before the fasteners start working and letting in moisture.