Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Storage solutions?

Hello fellow vintage Bambi owners (and anyone else who wants to join in!),

Just having our Bambi on the road after restoration, I would be interested in knowing if any of you have any tricks/solutions/ideas for storage. I seem to be able to get most of what I want to take in our trailer... but I find I am often wishing I didn't have to unpack and repack stuff to get to a single item.

I have thought about special sized containers, etc. but I thought before I went ahead and spent $ for them I would travel with our Bambi to really get a feel for what might be needed.

My biggest current "need" is where am I going to store extra blankets come cold weather time...

Well, any suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I made a couple of large throw pillows that velcro closed at one end. They hold down blankets and are great for added warmth - when they are in thier pillow form - they're great fro back support on the couch.

Other storage idea - I store dry goods, flour sugar etc in large mouth "vitamin water" bottles -they are about 12 oz.. The caps screw down hard and they are indestructable. I also store olive oil and liquid stuff in these.

Buy plates that fit your storage area - consider square plates.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi caddygrn

it's 103 here and you are thinking about cold weather?

i like the downintopillow idea.

here is another,

quilts or blankets can be wrapped on your 2 mattresses. it will just make them softer...

or if you don't want butts on the blankets before bed...

fold them lengthwise and put them under the mattresses....

i like to carry wool. it doesn't hold human stinks so long...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
My biggest current "need" is where am I going to store extra blankets come cold weather time...

Well, any suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks!

I made a "bolster" to store our down comforter when not in use. I like it so much, we even travel with it when it's not needed for warmth.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Oooooohhhhh ~ answers so quickly,

Good ideas folks! Keep 'um coming! Thanks!

Claudia (aka)
Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
A simple solution is to look in every closet and storage space and think vertical. If you have a gap of air in a cabinet, its waisted space and can be modified with hard plastic stackers. We created two small "Chests of drawers" in our closet.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Storage

Hi, We don't have a Bambie But, We have blankets that store in a case [same material] that double as extra pillows. In our closet on the shelf we have an extra bed set in plastic storage bag. Other items not needed daily or sometimes not needed at all, we keep them in our tow vehicle. My wife and I decided not to over stuff the trailer. Put the rest in the tow vehicle and any thing not fitting in the tow vehicle; we don't take or leave at home. I like the fact that my storage space is limited. More space means more unnecessary junk. Also this helps my wife from the Lucy syndrome. [collecting items from the road, rocks, plants, Etc.]

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You can often find interesting places to stow seldom-used items. For instance, if I remove the big drawer under my refrigerator, I find the first-aid kit and my foul-weather gear that fits in a stuff bag.

For those with 2 batteries and a couch iin front, there is empty space between the battery boxes. On my previous trailer, I replaced the slides for the under couch drawer with longer slides so that the drawer would pull out past the couch front and make that space available. I stored soft things such as extra blankets and big ziplock bags with my awning lights in that space.

Stores such as HD and Lowe's have all kinds of wire shelving that can be fitted into all sorts of unused space, such as the back of the wardrobe. Use a hacksaw or, better yet, a bolt cutter to "customize" the shelving to fit the space. Put the little rubber tips on sharp cut ends. I pull the nails out of the mounting hardware and replace them with screws. The shelves in the photo were cut down from larger stock.

I have installed a number of robe hooks in the bedroom and bath to accommodate clothes at night. We use a hanging vinyl hamper from Camping World for dirty clothes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyWardrobe.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	24481  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
These are great ideas folks! I really appreciate the input!

I am also wondering if any of you do other things for food storage. I try to take everything out of the box packaging and re-package it in smaller containers or zip lock baggies... I have some plastic screw lid containers that work well... if they should (boo) fall out of the cupboard in transit, stuff doesn't spill out of them. But I am always on the lookout for new and better ideas than my little brain will come up with!

I also wonder what I could do to improve bathroom necessities... shampoo, soap, first aide stuff, sun screeen, bug spray, etc. This seems to be a biggie as well. I try to find the smallest usable bottles I can take, but then I rummage through a bunch of little stuff looking for the toothpaste....or something. Our Bambi does not have any storage in the tiny bathroom (1963) and I am wondering if I couldn't invent something....

Thanks again! Great ideas. Much appreciated.

Claudia (aka)
Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #10
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I try to find things that multi-task. Found a great shampoo-conditioner-body wash combo from Philosophy that I love - that's one bottle instead of three (and if you're using a campground shower, that's less stuff to carry).

For your bathroom supplies, since you have no storage, have you considered something like this? We use these for travel and they are nice because they hang up wherever you have room, and everything is visible.