Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
burton , Michigan
Need Rehab Buddy for Hubby/Anywhere in US!

We just bought a 1968 30' sovereign on ebay last week. The AS is in PA and we are currently in MI. I hope to post some pics of the Ebay listing soon.

Hubby and I are under a time crunch to rehab and live in the AS. We are thinking of leaving MI to rehab the AS somewhere warm.

We can go just about anywhere in the US. But, since I'm disabled and can only help so much, hubby will need help ripping old carpet out and updating. I'm wondering if there is anyone or lower cost places where we can buy us some knowledge and muscle power?

He needs a rehab buddy, someone to advise, and to help him do it. We have to move out of my mother's house by the end of September (thanks MOM!) and pick up the AS. Our thoughts were to wrap up things in MI and drive to PA and then drive the AS to whatever location we could rent space to rehab it in (we could pay for electricity and utilities). We also have to pick up/sell some stuff in Chicago that we put into storage when I rushed to MI to live with and take care of my ailing mother.

I have a tempurpedic queen size mattress I'd like to put in the AS due to back issues, and the bathroom looks like it needs new flooring/toilet. Other than that, I really don't know what repairs will have to be made based on the few pics from the ebay listing.

I'm thinking of having hubby outfit the back of his pickup truck with a tool chest, as we will need to bring his tools with us for the rehab project.

If you guys know of any place that would be a better place for us to go, or have in mind someone who would like to help us rehab for reasonable pay or barter (hubby has carpentry, electric, automotive, welding, and computer skills), please respond. We need to have a place to live ASAP, and I would like to be in my comfy AS soon.

Thanks for reading!
goobygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
UMmmm.....I don't know what to say..............Sounds like you have a lot of work to do before you even start the enormous amount of work on the AS....

Good luck to you both
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hummmm ... if hubby can help me polish my AS, I can help change your axles!!! Warm spot - near good fishin'. What do you say?

What??? Not an excellent deal??? You gotta be kiddin!

Seriously, I'm wishing you luck. There's times - especially when I consider my limited electrical skills - that I wish I had a buddy too. Sometimes an extra hand or idea on a way to do something is really helpful. Guess that's why I'm on this forum daily - if not hourly. I don't want to miss a thing!!!

Hope you get all your stuff sorted out - sounds like a lot but I guess it take some work to change gears in about anything.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
burton , Michigan
Yes, it's a bit daunting. But I don't really have a choice. I contacted some restorers, but didn't hear back (via email). Still looking over my options. A buddy of hubby's lives on a marina in TN and said that he could probably rehab it there and he has an extra houseboat we could crash. So, that might be the ticket. I've also looked into getting it professionally delivered to save us time and trouble.

Thanks for responding!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Hello Gooby girl, Their is going to be a WBCCI Rally in Frankenmuth, Michigan October 2nd-4th at the Saint Lorenz Campground. There will be a number of people there that could offer some advice. Frankenmuth is just a little north of Burton. I'm from Pittsford Michigan and I guess that doesn't help you out much, cause it will be cold here pretty soon!!! Good luck, I hope I get to meet you at the rally.

"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
burton , Michigan
Yippee! That sounds awesome!! I'll have to go for sure. It's only 1/2 hour away.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
MrsGlisten

1959 22' Caravanner
1963 24' Tradewind
1961 26' Overlander
Anderson , South Carolina
I live in Anderson, SC and am looking for a buddy to help with my restoration, too.
MrsGlisten is offline   Reply With Quote