Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question help!! can anyone tell me how to convince my hubby!

I have a chance to buy my friends 2005 bambi ccd 19ft on Mon, she only used it a couple of time 2 yrs ago, its like new.. (she offered a great price I think??) 20K, I think she paid almost $50, my hubby is worried w/the economy that we should pass it up.. I am so sad I want it so much, is that a price too good to pass??? Do they hold their value?? How can I convince him or should I just buy it like I was going to do?? I already told my friend I was going to get it.. I was just going to surprise my hubby.. please reply w/any info re the bambi ccd 19 2005 model to help reassure him.. any info would be great!!!! stacey
staceydr200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Sounds like a great price... What does the Economy have to do with enjoying an AS... Plus they hold there value better than any other TT on the market today... I get it....

Here is one for $37,000 Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - 2005 Airstream Bambi 16ft International CCD Lemongrass - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

And another for $25,000 http://www.rvlegends.com/usedinvento....aspx?id=20048

It's a good deal and a great trailer, GET IT>>>>

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It all depends...

$20K for one in almost new condition sounds more than fair... especially in California. Do take it to a dealer and have it inspected to see that no plumbing froze over the winter and that the water heater and furnace work correctly (they should, but spiders really DO like to live near propane and either might need cleaning and adjusting as well as having the webs blown out.

Now, Can you afford it? If you are making a maximum contribution toward your 401K and have savings for your kids college tuitions, and don't have a lot of debt - why not? If you can't sell your house because your mortgage is $200K higher than what you could now GET for it... not a great purchase. If you're already just barely getting by... this isn't the time to take on more debt or even deplete your savings by paying cash.

What ELSE do you do? I've seen people try to maintain six to ten expensive hobbies. We can all fall prey to thinking we MUST have the biggest barbecue grill or wear $1100 shoes, or drive his and her Hummers, etc. Are you going to have to give up something else you value to have this trailer? Will your REALLY give it up?

You never get your money back out of an RV. Take that to the bank. Your friend has already learned that lesson. An Airstream is not an investment... but it CAN be a big money saver. If you normally travel and stay in hotels, staying in a small trailer and cooking "at home" can make your vacations a lot less expensive even after paying the fuel cost to tote a trailer around. If you can visit your in-laws and not have to stay IN THEIR House, it might save your sanity and your marriage! If you go to any kind of tailgate parties, or enjoy sports events or concerts... true sanity might mean going to the trailer afterwards for dinner and a nap while all of the nutjobs sit in stalled traffic for 3 hours trying to get out of the parking lot. Surfing, camping, riding bicycles, kayaking, hiking - all make good companion hobbies for Airstreaming - and camping in the Airstream is comfortable and economical way to enjoy these hobbies more often.

In short, if you're really a "camper" already and are getting tired of tents and air mattresses, or do a lot of weekend trips that you KNOW you will use your Airstream instead of a motel, it makes sense. If you're willing to vacation in Lake Tahoe instead of Tahiti - it makes a LOT of sense. If you've got a lot of people who visit YOU and you can put them in your guest house instead of the living room, that's great too.

Makes some lists:
  1. Plans for activities that WILL be done using the Airstream
  2. Amount of money that you can legitimately expect to save using the Airstream vs. motels, resorts, etc. Pull activities you've done over the last 2-3 years that could have been Airstreaming activities.
  3. Cost of storing the Airstream (check your zoning you might not be able to keep it at your home)
  4. Cost of furnishing & modifying your Airstream - my current one has a new bedspread $100, a custom table lift $50, extra shelves for the pantry $40, and for my next project I'm replacing the venetian blinds with the rather pricy rollup blinds they have in the CCDs for around $600 (just hate to dust venetian blinds every week).
Do your homework and think this decision over carefully. There's no point in losing your husband over this... (well even that depends!)... but if you can make good cogent arguments in favor of the Airstream, he'll probably buy in. Here's one: You and your buddies can have the house for a ginormous super bowl party... while a girlfriend and I spend the whole weekend touring quaint shops in Napa Valley. (or fill in some other activity like antiquing, museums, arboretums, etc. that will just make his skin crawl.) If he falls for this, hide all of the breakables, and put plastic sheeting over the carpets before you turn the house over to the boys.

Good luck and happy trails with either choice you make. ALSO if you don't get this one... trust me there will be another one that's even better in your future.

Paula
Old 10-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
What?????

MARRY ME!!!!! I won't mind if you buy it!!!!

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You could always try going on "strike".

Ask me how I know.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It's a good price if it doesn't have any "unusual" problems and you have it checked over... AND if you are going to use it. It's not a good price if it's just going to sit in your driveway....it's expensive yard art. I told Greg when we got our 19' that if we do this, we are going to USE it... And happily, we do...as often as we possible can...when the stars are right, we are gone about every other weekend...and try to make one longer trip about every month or so...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
help!! can anyone tell me how to convince my hubby!
Woman's wiles...
I've bought lots of things that I wouldn't otherwise have.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceydr200 View Post
...she offered a great price I think??...20K, I think she paid almost $50.

Do they hold their value??
looks like u answered this question stacy....

but there is a lot more to buying and keeping and using a stream than the initial purchase price.

cash or finance? got good credit?

insurance? storage? adequate tow vehicle? and so on...

so impulse buying is risky, and there are LOTS of trailers for sale.

so a better question is HOW MUCH can u afford for ALL rv, maintenace and travel related issues, monthly and yearly ?

and just how good a friend is this friend?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We recently sold a 04 CCD BAMBI 19FT FOR 31K, without a complaint from the buyer. 20k for a barely used 05 seems to be a very low price.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
_

. , .
ok, lets sort this out...

at 9pm last evening you announced the purchase...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...ice-45545.html

and now TODAY, u r asking for advice on convincing your mate?

perhaps he needs to register here and read what u r up 2?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
OUCH! Busted....

But we can still help you. Load it up and head for one of the rallies, that will convince anyone of the trailers worth.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Smile

well.. I told my friend that I wanted the as on Friday. we agreed to a price on Fri night..I hadn't talked w/ hubby until very late fri night after already speaking w/my friend, My hubby was not so stoked about it, I thought he would be just as happy as me... So on Sat, I was looking for advise to convince him what a great idea it is to buy the as..I figure I have until Monday. He knows me very well and if I choose to still buy the as, he would probably not be surprised..I would hope he would learn to love it as much as me.. so that might explain why I announced the purchase on Friday night, but, had not talked w/hubby until very late on Friday...I really thought he would say "GREAT", but I was wrong.. and I am supposed to pick up the as on Monday this week,,so I do not have it yet... so I help this clears the confusion anyone might have, plus I was so happy to find this site I just started asking ???'s to get info...everyone has been awsome... by the way I do not hide things from my guy, I just like surprises!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
well.., I just like surprises!!!
My DW is full of surprises too, but never quite as surprising as yours.

Convince him that the Romance of the Airstream Lifestyle has just begun.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
..I would hope he would learn to love it as much as me..

He will. Load up the Airstream with his favorite hobby... fishing, good wine, great music - whatever gets him going, and take off for a weekend.
Like nascar? go camp at a track over race weekend
Like music? Camp at a music festival

But most importantly - meet some other Airstreamers. The trailers are cool, but the people who are drawn to them are cooler. He'll come around, and if he doesn't, you can always sell it and recoup your cash.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hey Stacy, We're have the California Streamers Fall fiesta on Oct 17- 19, at Rivernook Campground, next to Lake Isabela. Why not drive down and visit all of us. There will be over 26 Airstreams of all shapes and sizes. You'll get to meet the type of people the own them. and see what a GREAT ! time we have.

R/
Safari-Rick

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
well.. I told my friend that I wanted the as on Friday. we agreed to a price on Fri night..I hadn't talked w/ hubby until very late fri night after already speaking w/my friend, My hubby was not so stoked about it, I thought he would be just as happy as me... So on Sat, I was looking for advise to convince him what a great idea it is to buy the as..I figure I have until Monday. He knows me very well and if I choose to still buy the as, he would probably not be surprised..I would hope he would learn to love it as much as me.. so that might explain why I announced the purchase on Friday night, but, had not talked w/hubby until very late on Friday...I really thought he would say "GREAT", but I was wrong.. and I am supposed to pick up the as on Monday this week,,so I do not have it yet... so I help this clears the confusion anyone might have, plus I was so happy to find this site I just started asking ???'s to get info...everyone has been awsome... by the way I do not hide things from my guy, I just like surprises!!!

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I had it the other way around: I loved Airstreams since I saw my first one at age eleven.
When it became time to get into it, the wife stood her ground, sorta. Two trailers and
two motor homes later, she's as jazzed as me about the lifestyle; Airstream, that is.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Red face

thanks for the invite.. I work every Fri and Sat night, I have to ask for it off way advance...... keep on letting me know of upcoming events and maybe I can make it to one this year... you all have been soooo wonderful.. the time is coming near to get her home..... I am so excited and nervous at the same time... I just so wish my hubby was at least a little happy about it....It kinda takes away the fun when he is so crabby about the whole thing... everyone out there say a little prayer that it will all work out.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

One of you great people out there mentioned a great idea to me.... buy the as on Monday and use it for a couple of months or so and if the hubby still is against it than I could probably sell it for what I paid or close to it???? I plan on paying 20$ again its a 2005 bambi CCD 19ft, barely used 1 summer at the river buy a single lady and her dog (who is groomed every week), she has had it stored in her backyard ever since... She has all the paperwork, and reciepts of what she paid (almost $50K)... also the door the convection/micro is broke...one side of the glass that is, she left something inside and drove off..... anymore input???? thanks to all stacey
Old 10-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I mentioned in the 2 nd post, some prices,,, I think you can make money on it if you buy it for that price...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
..... anymore input???? thanks to all stacey
Do you have a tow vehicle? With a good hitch and a brake controller for the Airstream? As far as hubby, I suggest you visit Frederick's of Hollywood for a quick, fun, and thorough resolution to your problem.
Just trying to help....