Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

At least on the "Ryobi" stuff that Home Depot sells, I've seen no better lifetime on the lithium versions than on the ni-cad's that came before them. Neither one has what I would call a really good lifespan. The lithium versions *do* have a few more amp hours. They also hold a charge (on the shelf) a bit longer.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I use the dewalt 20v drill and like it a lot. Power is great. Price is high. I've always used dewalt cordless.

I use Ego Power Plus tools for outdoor yard. I have the lawnmower, chain saw and blower. I have a Ryobi weed whaxker that works well and uses the same batteries as the hand tools. I plan to replace that with the Ego. They always have deals where you get an extra battery. So I have plenty. These took work great.

https://egopowerplus.com
Old 07-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Go with the Makita Brushless power tools. They are 18V lithium that charge fast, last a long long time on a charge, and have more than enough power.

They have a wide range of brushless tools that all run off the same battery. Everything from drills, to impact wrenchs, to circular saws, to specialty tools. Make sure you buy the brushless tools. They have far more power and are much more efficient.

I have tried a variety of power tools and by far the Makita brushless tools are the best.

You won't be disappointed.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
18v freaky still out perform the 20v
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks everyone for the updated comments and recommendations.

RVDreamer, yeah we used Makita cordless back in the beginning and they were great tools. I remember a small right angle drill that was light and perfect for tight places. The Milwaukee M18 line is also brushless, do you have any experience with them?

Thanks again all,

Peter

PS -- FYI the Makita lineup in various voltages: https://www.makitatools.com/products/tools/lxt-brushless

Brushless motor comparisons: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/brushless-motors

Bosch lineup: https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/bos...tools-35676-c/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Go with the Makita Brushless power tools. They are 18V lithium that charge fast, last a long long time on a charge, and have more than enough power.

They have a wide range of brushless tools that all run off the same battery. Everything from drills, to impact wrenchs, to circular saws, to specialty tools. Make sure you buy the brushless tools. They have far more power and are much more efficient.

I have tried a variety of power tools and by far the Makita brushless tools are the best.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Pretty happy with Dewalt 20v.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #27
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post

We used Milwaukee for years in my electrical contracting business but lately they started to go down in quality. (They are now and have been for a while owned by the same corporation that owns Ryobi). We had the most problems with batteries and switches, several switches caught fire and on the 28 volt drills the batteries did not stay in securely. A 28 volt LI battery can do some damage when it falls from an 8 foot stepladder. Keep in mind our tools are used and abused heavily and daily so we don't expect them to last as long as homeowner tools, but the original Milwaukee products certainly held up better than the new ones. When the 28 volt batteries started falling out with the potential for injury and property damage (think glass cook tops) and I was told that wasn't covered by the warranty I decided to start trying Makita. We bought the 18 volt brushless about a year ago and so far very impressed, no issues whatsoever. I have yet to run one of the 5AH batteries all the way down in a day. I never thought I'd see the day when we could drill out an entire house with battery tools but it has become an option for us now.

We buy our tools at an industrial supply and when I asked the repair man he recommended Makita or Bosch.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great details thanks, especially the repair guy's two cents for Makita or Bosch. I had a 3x21 Bosch belt sander that was a joy to own, so well-designed and balanced.

Our local tool store has the DeWalt and Makita lines, and is thinking of adding Milwaukee due to recent customer inquiries.

Thanks again all, probably going to back burner this purchase until Fall.

Happy Trails for a great wrap-up to summer! Can you believe August is almost here?

Peter
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the details on the M12 line, which I will check out at HD tomorrow. Smaller and lighter would work with our needs. Is there a broad line of 12-volt accessories, like in the M18 line-up? I will check next.

Edit -- seems like the 12-volt line-up is pretty extensive also:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/system/M12

Thanks again,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelcaddy View Post
Hi all,
I actually review tools for Fine Homebuilding magazine. Lithium ion is king. Ni cad is obsolete technology. I would stay away from any "homeowner" grade tools. They are garbage and the price difference to upgrade to pro tools is shrinking by the day. Black n decker is junk and although porter cable was great at one time it has sadly fallen to homeowner grade as well. I would recommend this kit
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...2460/301547271
They are light and comfortable to use. The m12 fuel platform offers fantastic performance. I know the batteries seem small but they are more than adequate. I have 5 of these drills, two impacts and 12 batteries that we use to install clips for standing seam roofing. We get 12 hrs/charge with intense use and they have dropped them from the roof at least a 1/2 dozen times. The 18 and 20 volt stuff is only necessary for running larger tools like hammer drills and sawzalls where you need to approximate 15amps. Milwaukee also offers heated clothing for our northern climates. I wore the heated jacket ice fishing in Minnesota for 4 days in February. I was warm as toast. And no, I am not sponsored by Milwaukee, I just appreciate a fine tool that does what i need.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
How thick is your wallet?
Top of the line? Milwaukee.
Somewhat less expensive, but still quality? DeWalt. That's what all my tools are now if I can. I use the 18 v. because it's a balance between battery life and weight. Holding a heavy tool over your head gets old fast.
Besides, once you standardize brands, you have many batteries that are interchangeable. I even have the DeWalt hand vacuum.

DeWalt and Porter Cable are both owned by Black and Decker, and that's not so good, but so far the tools survive.
It's like Thor owning Airstream. Yikes!

I was in Lowe's and a DeWalt rep was showing drills to a customer. The custom complained about the "plastic" shells on the tools, so the rep took the drill in his hand and tossed it on the concrete floor about 4' in front of them. It bounced and didn't have a scratch!

Surprisingly, Home Depot's store brand Rigid, made in Mexico, gets good reviews and I see them in use at job sites.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, planning on a HD run in the morning. Nothing like holding them all for the ergonomics.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks, planning on a HD run in the morning. Nothing like holding them all for the ergonomics.

And maybe throwing them all on the concrete!! [emoji12][emoji12]
Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ligonier , Pennsylvania
I don't think there is much price difference between Dewalt and Milwaukee. All pro scale tools compete in the same market and seem to cost about the same. Basically, Lowes has a Dewalt deal and HD has a Milwaukee deal. I've been told that Milwaukee makes some of the Ridgid tool line as well, but I can't confirm. Dewalt has a fantastic offering in there heavy duty cordless tools (18-20v). Everything from right angle drills to weedeaters and even table saws and slide miter saws. It doesn't sound to me like you need something that heavy. Milwaukee, on the other hand, has a focus on the 12v too. They have a ton of m12 tools like grease guns, saws, a DustBuster and an oscillating tool. The heated clothes are super cool too. Reportedly, heated bib overalls come out this summer.
Deezelcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. Yeah as I looked over the 12-volt line at the Milwaukee site, it seems like the best path forward for our AS use.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just got back from Home Depot with a Milwaukee M12 3/8" drill set incl. drill, charger, 2 batteries and a hard case, for $129.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...7-22/204300706

HD is having a sale through tomorrow, so a free $89 6 Amp Hour extended battery is included when you purchase certain M12 sets.

Great deal!

And the line-up of M12 accessories is extensive as mentioned already. The M18 lineup also looked great, but for use with the AS and at home, the M12 line seems fine, and is lighter in weight and easier to stow. I will be ordering the car charger as well.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback and guidance.

Peter

PS -- This replaces old Porter Cable and Panasonic drills which were fine for their time. Incredible how the battery technology has changed.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I agree that 12v is adequate for the trailer; I have B&D 12v in my trailer toolkit. But for home I prefer the 18v. I never know what I will need to do and the 18v just has more capability.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just a follow-up about what a pleasure it is to use a new high quality tool like the Milwaukee M12 3/8"drill. So light and powerful.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Awesome Peter. I agree. My new dewalt has been great and the battery life is insane. Enjoy the tool, for what is life worth without cool tools!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Copy that! And the range of accessories is insane, per link in Post #29. For instance, this Power Source for charging a phone is not much bigger than two D batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-...rds=49-24-2310

Fits in a tool bag or DW's purse just fine.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
An update -- we have been very happy with the small drill, USB charging station, and battery life for this Milwaukee M12 line.

Does anyone have this radio:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2590-20

. . . and are you happy with its reception and durability?

10 1/2" long and 3.5 pounds seems reasonably OK for trailer use IMO.

Thanks,

Peter