Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
about to pull trigger '74 Sovereign Intl

I am new to the forum and am hoping to be a new owner of a 74 International Center Twin. Please take a look at these pics and let me know what you think. In a short time, I have learned so much from this forum. There does not seem to be any rear separation (center bath). Roof vent is broke; ac shroud is broke - tarp over these areas to keep the rain out. Body looks good (one 3 foot cosmetic dent from a tree branch rub on the side bear the emblem - can live with it) and will need a good polishing - how much is it to have it done professionally?

All the original stove, LPG, fridge, hot water heater, controller, microwave work! All fixtures original, closet doors are aligned, Newer duotherm ac blows hot/cold installed in 89 with receipt. umbilical cord original - i know about the wiring differences. Plenty of tread on the tires (one shows signs of sidewall cracking from UV). No drapery. Waste hose is severed at the adapter. Will be plugging in most of the time. all windows are intact. brake/signal/clearance lights work (except for 2 markers on sides, one marker in rear - easy to replace)

Going to do a final inspection and want to know wha to look for. I am getting for $2500. Been sitting in the desert for 5 years and was used routinely for camping before that.

I plan to bring it to a local brake shop to have the bearings repacked/sealed and brakes adjusted before my 150 mile trip home.

Here are some pics....thanks in advance for your help!

patis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
more pics....

'

Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
i am heading to the trailer with my father as we speak and will be looking for replys in the next 45 minutes. Thanks guys! Wish me luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi Patis,

Overall it looks pretty clean and straight. The security light that has been mounted to it would worry me-- I'd check for evidence of leaks though that point. Take an ice pick and check the entire perimeter for soft floors, especially under windows, vents, at the doorway, water heater, and any other penetrations from the exterior through the inteior (like that security light). Pull furniture out of the way and check inside of cabinets and furniture. Soft floor means rot, and the frame has likely been compromised in those areas as well.

Check underneath as well, if there's any loose or hanging bellypan, pull it down as best you can (without damaging the rig of course) to see the frame within. Replasing floor sections and frame x-members can be done, even with the shell on, and there's lots of info on it.

I would expect some floor rot and probably some frame rot. They all leak, despite what previous owners tell you. If that's a job you want to take on, then fine. If not, be VERY careful.

As for polishing, it typically costs between $100-$150 per linear foot to get it done professionally, and might be more in your area. So, for Sovereign, we're talking $3,000 - $5,000.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Ditto on the above recommendations. The floor area at the very read of the trailer is a must check area as well. Put some weight on the rear bumper and verify that the frame and shell are securely attached to each other.

I noticed that the plug for the TV is missing and the wires are just sticking out of the hole. This is going to be a real challenge to tow the trailer home.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
You are getting great advice in the responses to your question. Here's also a link to a thread with more advice. The post in the response from us (maccamper) was within a couple of months after we had started working on the 1974 29 ft Ambassador we bought that was advertised as "camping ready." http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...0-a-34082.html

The Airstream we bought was advertised to be in better condition than it appears the seller is advertising yours to be. Today after many maccamper work hours and dollars later, we're very pleased with the way our "Emma" Airstream is turning out.

Best wishes with your quest,

Nancy Mac (mrs maccamper)
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Didn't make the 45 minute deadline but here goes anyhow...

Consult the delicate noses in the family - Smell check the trailer carefully, everything 'else' can be 'repaired' but smells are forever...

See if there was any towing hardware not attached to the trailer - the hitch ball assembly etc. or anything meant to bolt onto hitch frame of vehicle; often they are not really 'lost' but just overlooked.

Have a fail-safe door latch for the tow home - block of wood through the hand grip, something to keep door from opening at speed if the latch hardware fails to bind...
Old 03-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
Great. I am going to offer $2000. what do you think??
Old 03-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
2K I feel is fair to good. The rear twins make it worth a little more than center twins. The rear twins also make it less susceptible to rear end issues. The body looks straight from the pics, and the inside appears mostly original. Floor rot is big thing to look out for now. Rest assured that it will need axles and other expensive things as you go along. As a useable original unit this will be worth the 8 - 10K range polished or re-coated with new axles, working AC and all appliances, no leakes, no floor rot, and all systems go.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
If there are aluminum tanks under the propane tank cover fabric $2K is a really sweet deal. If you like the trailer - no toxic smells etc - $2500 is great too.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
She wanted $2800 for it. Too much for my blood considering the amount of money needed to safely bring it home (new tires, bearings packed, shocks, brake adjustment). Offered $2500 and waiting to hear back.

I couldn;t get the brakes to work. Lifted one wheel and appied trailer brakes with no brake effort at all. How can I test if the wires to the electric brakes are working?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
If there are aluminum tanks under the propane tank cover fabric $2K is a really sweet deal. If you like the trailer - no toxic smells etc - $2500 is great too.
They are intact and in great condition. What is the going rate for each tank these days?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
I sealed the deal with the owner! Should be picking her up this weekend. Can't wait to start my new hobby!

First thing will be to weatherproof and replace the cracked vents and duotherm shroud. Thank you everyone for the great advice. I feel comfortable with the purchase and look forward to having more dialogue with all of you as I dive into the airstream world.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
Here's some more pics:

Let me know if you spot any major issues.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Whoa - puddles & wet pavement in LA..

Window, door and hatch gaskets usually need replacing - if you're in a dry climate its easy to overlook.

The trim behind those propane tanks is the belly band that is vital to have snug to the shell and its top seam caulked with Vulkem (Trempro 636) polyurethane (use no silicone) which is not so easy to find but I've gotten it at the included link. AND the trunk lid at the rear bumper storage area is infamous for allowing water into places it doesn't belong - there the belly band should be sealed top and bottom to make sure it sheds water.

Aluminum tanks -- Okay it isn't that great of a score, they probably need to be visually inspected before they are refilled - and may need new valves to comply with current regulations but its one $$$ hit you've missed from the start!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
Hi Wabiteer: Is there a diagram that shows what the belly band is?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
See the (fragile and irreplaceable) plastic flanges where the hitches' A-frame iron joins the shell? --- the aluminum trim band that is hanging loose behind the propane tanks is the belly band. The 'banana wraps' part of the belly skins usually overlap the shell on the outside and make a perfect scoop for water shedding down the sides unless annual maintenance includes refreshing the sealant there. If the trailer is going to see any water on it seal that interface even if you plant to remove those parts in a couple of months....
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
See the (fragile and irreplaceable) plastic flanges where the hitches' A-frame iron joins the shell? --- the aluminum trim band that is hanging loose behind the propane tanks is the belly band. The 'banana wraps' part of the belly skins usually overlap the shell on the outside and make a perfect scoop for water shedding down the sides unless annual maintenance includes refreshing the sealant there. If the trailer is going to see any water on it seal that interface even if you plant to remove those parts in a couple of months....

Will do...thanks for sharing.
1964 Little Dipper TT by Northwest Coach (7'X13')
Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
If the floor in your Sovereign is in good shape, you got a good deal for that trailer. I paid a little bit more for mine and it was in worse shape.

Congrats, welcome to the Airstream Sovereign club!!!

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign