Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #81
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Excellent! Nice to read a good report which I also believe pertains to most of us.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #82
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Echoing Barry's comments. My list of items was very small.

HDMI switch died - AS sent a replacement in a couple of days
Light switch on closet failed - AS sent replacement
Had problem with furnace - Jackson Center found that the SAIL Switch was bent.
Bottom storage compartment doors (where the shore water is connected) needed to be adjusted (temporary fix was adding some foam stripping).
Tongue jack started making noise - Called Barker and they shipped a replacement
SeaLevel grey tank sensor needed to be adjusted

Out of this list only items that would be AS build related would be the storage drawers and the tank sensor.

That was the list of items that didn't work correctly on my unit. I also did some of the stuff like Barry. Added LED lights in the cabinets, 750w Solar with 400ah Lithium/Magnum setup.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #83
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow...
Tell the Dealer I will buy it for $100.00. I will fix the problems.

Good luck.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #84
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Scared!

I'm finally realizing my dream of owning and Airstream, a new-to-me 2013 FC 16 that was used twice and then stored in an Aircraft Hangar for 2 1/2 years. Beyond excited...but I have to admit, a little concerned after reading this thread. I'll be picking it up 850 miles away, then doing a six day trip before bring it home...and I hope I arrive home as thrilled as I am now, instead of sadly carrying the weight of problems with me now out-of-warranty trailer, that, even used, I paid a premium price for.

Wish me luck!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Remember... the types of problems mentioned in this thread are commonly found with all RVs. If you think you can avoid "RV-types" of problems by buying some other brand, I believe you may be likely to encounter even more problems with some other brand. RVs can and should be expected to have some problems! That's reality and the current state of the industry.

Simply get comfortable with the fact that you will likely have some RV issues to be corrected and occasional fix-it items that develop over time and use, and you will be a happy, realistic RVer.

Note, as well, that many of the problems with RVs have nothing to do with the maker of the RV, but are issues related to very common components, supplied by third-party manufacturers, with widespread use on many, if not most, RVs.

Many RVs have relatively few problems and some have more than an expected share of them.

If you're going to RV, you need to take some risk of possible problems. Are you feeling lucky?

If dealing with occasional RV repairs is too difficult for you to accept, it may be best for you to not get involved in RVing at all.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
I think what Airstream Needs is a Traveling Service Van,maybe multiple.

the BEST Factory trained techs,with a fully equipped van.

They Come To You,To your house, to do warranty work.

No B.S.

It might even be more cost effective than paying the dealers.

And I bet they could find a couple/few guys at the factory that would enjoy the job.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:51 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airline View Post
I think what Airstream Needs is a Traveling Service Van,maybe multiple.

the BEST Factory trained techs,with a fully equipped van.
There aren't enough vans in production to satisfy THAT need.

RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
To the original poster. Sounds like your dealer a poor pdi. Those things you mentioned, although factory problems, should have been noticed and corrected by the dealer well before delivering to a customer. In the walk through these could have been caught by the salesperson and addressed before allowing you to take delivery. A pain in the ass but better than having you discover them on your own. I'm convinced that most dealers either don't care, don't have the time, or don't know how to do a correct pdi. All are unacceptable. I hope you can get this straightened out. pdi is pre delivery inspection. Anyone can be taught to do this. Check EVERYTHING out and immediately have a tech do whatever is necessary. Don't understand how some dealers neglect tnis, it costs them in the long run. Some dealers seam to get it, while others just are in a cloud. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
DHart said' "Remember... the types of problems mentioned in this thread are commonly found with all RVs. If you think you can avoid "RV-types" of problems by buying some other brand, I believe you may be likely to encounter even more problems with some other brand. RVs can and should be expected to have some problems! That's reality and the current state of the industry."

I beg to differ on this point. I had an aluminum car hauler with living quarters built by Featherlite that had zero issues. Owned a t@b, also a Thor product, that was innovative and a quality RV with a lot of European design/engineering. Thor sold it to Little Guys. Decided to retire our 2006 Safari 25 FB and turn it into a guest house due to the poor QC and purchase a Sprinter based MH. After shopping and comparing, the AS International MB had many of the same QC issues as the TT. Bought a Unity built in Canada and, again, have had zero issues in three years. While certain things like the water pump and tanks are generic to all RV's, the Unity has upgraded plumbing fixtures, microwave, counter tops and so on.

Based on many of the posts here, I can't help but wonder if there isn't a private label Kool-Aide package with a picture of an Airstream TT on it.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #90

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
2016 Classic with shades of lemon

I think the dealer's PDI is paramount. We also did an overnight at a full hookup site at our dealership with our Safari and was offered one with the Classic also. This gives you lots of time to check out your trailer and get it home with any found problems repaired.

My dealer was concerned enough about what he had been correcting on new trailers that he sent his Prep guy up to JC to meet with the workers on the line and talk about the things he was finding on newly delivered trailers.

As far as my Classic went, we had some issues. A leak at the shower door (same place as my Safari) which was the initial defect found. Over the next 2 years warranty replaced a skylight, water pump, and about 3 trips in to try to keep the drawers closed. We also had a screw or nail which that penetrated the sliding door pocket which contained the wooden door that closes the center bath from the front area of the trailer. That door got a big scar from that. The door was replaced (must have been a bear to get it out) and the offending protrusion in the pocket removed. The sensor panel was replaced due to a burned out led. A window shade was restrung due to a broken cord.

We also were subject to recalls, the infamous axle bearing grease fiasco that eventually led to Airstream moving away from Henschen axles (mine had the right grease), and a Dometic refrigerator recall.

In the 11 years since the expiration of the warranty, I've replaced another skylight, had the same wheel repaired twice for brake problems, and replaced the air conditioner shroud.

Unlike the auto industry which has seen quality improvements mainly because of robot construction, the RV industry will continue to be subject to the imperfections created by human beings. The fancier our trailers get, the more opportunities there will be to make errors. Considering these trailers roll down the assembly line in different sizes, interiors, models and components, there are lots of opportunities for problems. If you would look at my 2004 year old Classic interior vs todays Classic, it is much more visibly simple. I honestly think that the visual complexity of the new units adds to quality woes. Now there are 5 models built, when in 2004 we saw 3. All that complexity plus the variability of the production line is a quality control nightmare.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
How to tell that the factory QC did not give a damn about their product and Colonial must have pencil whipped the PDI. The unit sat on their lot for over nine months before we bought it so there was more than ample time to correct the deficiencies:

No "AIRSTREAM" name on the back of the new 2015 23D International Serenity.

Large wad of plastic protective film from the rear lower aluminum panel beside mattress (installed at factory on assembly line) with bedspread on (installed by Colonial).

Front Vista window shade broken and inoperative.

Rubber bumpers on bathroom door installed on wrong side of door latch.

Shower improperly installed with a large gap for a water leak to the subfloor.

On the 2,000 mile trip to the modification center, the dinette leg wore a hole in the very thin linoleum. Fixed by replacing flooring with Marmoleum and putting a 2" x 3.5" x 1/16" brass wear plate under leg.

Found one set of wheel bearings scored from inadequate grease and other three needed grease. Replaced stock non-auto adjusting for auto-adjusting drum brakes and installed Timken made in USA bearings and seals.

The wash job before I got there was a hit or miss with dirt still on the unit.

From my perspective, the over $61,000 cash purchase just did not warrant much of Colonial's attention.

They were quick to open a warranty claim to get paid for the work they should have done under the terms of the PDI. Lack of parts and extended wait time precluded their doing anything major other than taking the plastic off the wall and switching the door stops.

They did, at an extra charge, install the Hensley hitch, Prodigy RF brake control head and swap out the 14" tires and wheels for the 15" Michelins mounted on SenDel wheels with Centramatic wheel balancers and the Dill TPMS 1506-453 system.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Brass wear plate?
Fancy.
I may be a bit OCD.
The table leg may never wear a hole in the vinyl flooring, but because I think it might I have a piece of cardboard under the table leg.
The table leg hasn't worn out the cardboard yet...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
I had some left over flat brass stock from another project so used that for the wear plates under the dinette leg in both trailers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hmm. If I purchased a new one, I would go to Jackson Center and camp in it at the facility before leaving. I would have to work that out with the dealer but it would not leave Ohio until it was fixed.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #95
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
There's a dealer in Ohio, right? Maybe that's the place to start.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
A couple that just moved into our Airstream only RV park (Ponderosa Shadows in Lakeside, AZ) said they had ordered a 2015 Classic and the man went to the factory to watch the assembly. After a few days, he called the dealer and canceled the order and purchased a pre 2010 model which had better quality.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #97
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Why is it up to us the consumer to do the final QC check? That is a crap concept! I dont buy the notion of being built by human hands so its going to have problems.... if youre going to ask a premium price deliver a premium product.
there is no way I could have had a career if I sold that philosophy!
we teach these companies to produce junk of we accept it! If more trailers were refused at the time of sale due to flaws and these issues the factory would quickly figure it out and up their quality game!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I agree.
To expect the consumer to find and fix all production flaws is a poor business model.
To expect the purchaser of a $96,000 travel trailer to deal with issues is absolutely asinine.
For our hard-earned money we expect/demand close to perfection and are well within our rights to do so.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #99
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I guess the solution is not buy one! Think of all the whining you won't have to do. There really is no excuse for any new AS owner to complain. All the info is on the Internet. Yes, many have major problems all of which are well documented. So if I google AS quality control and get post after post of negative comments and still buy one, which leads me to the forums to complain, who do I have to blame? Be respnsible for your actions, if the info is there , take advantage of it, and if you buy, admit your mistake for it was your decision.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #100
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I suppose some just have higher standards while others expect far less.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote