Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Then again I know at least 3 owners of 2015 Classics and Flying Clouds that have had zero trouble or only minor trouble which they got fixed at Jackson Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The second owner gets a trouble free trailer.
Whatever was gonna happen already happened when the original owner had it. All the bugs are worked out.

Some pretty huge assumptions there...
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
Sooo sorry for you that u got sooo turned off to airstream. I love mine
We love our 25fb too!!! We love it even MORE now that we didn't get sucked in by the uppity "wow factor" and spend nearly 100 grand more for a cherry-stained cornucopia of crappy craftsmanship...or is that crapsmanship?

There are NO excuses in a trailer that costs that much. None!!!!!!

RareStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We inspected our fresh-from-the-factory 2012 with a fine toothed comb looking for problems; it was nicely assembled and not a single gripe. Outside of very minor issues of extensive use in 27 months total travel and living in it, it remains as nice as new. It's been a joy to have, can't imagine retirement travel without it.

We do use a regular inspection schedule testing for leaks, touch up nicks and scratches, corrosion prevention treatment, and checking equipment operation.

Our first new Airstream (2007) as also excellent, but sat on the dealers lot two years. We found some 20 items for the dealer to fix before delivery, all related to tire-kickers and kids beating the dickens out of it while in dealers inventory. Fixed these and it was trouble-free.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
If one insists on a thorough pre-delivery, pre-signing walk-thru inspection which includes running both AC units, running the furnace, running water through every water functioning advice, hot water heater running on AC and gas, fridge cooling, inspections under all cabinets where water lines and connections are made... and a close inspection of all drawer and cabinet latches, the operation of all lights, televisions, sound system, and the fit and finish of panels and cabinetry THEN, a buyer really has little to fear when buying a new Airstream. Insist that fix-it items are corrected before delivery and then complete the purchase.

Those who claim, after hearing some bad reports, that they have decided not to buy a new Airstream are just running scared. What is there to be scared of, if you do a proper job of inspecting the unit you are considering buying?

Whatever RV, trailer, 5th wheel, or motor home you decide to buy... you are quite likely to find at least one or two "fix-it" items. To avoid Airstream because you're afraid of having a few fix-it issues is folly.

Add our 2016 30' Serenity to the many new Airstreams that are found to be fine, problem-free examples. But each coach is a unique product, thus each needs to be carefully inspected before purchase.

If you are considering buying a new Airstream... all you need to do is approach the purchase sensibly, with a comprehensive inspection, and you'll be fine. Don't run iike a fraidy cat, just 'buck up', take charge, and move on it confidently!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Some pretty huge assumptions there...

No-
If you bought my trailer now, you would have a good trailer with a blown refrigerator light and a loose bar on the front of the cooktop- not 70+ flaws to have fixed-
The 60-something item list is what was repaired at Jackson Center- not including what the dealer fixed and what I fixed-
The extreme end of the spectrum-
You could buy a trailer from someone who never fixed anything and never maintained it.
My trailer has new tires. Another second hand trailer might need tires, brakes, batteries, axles-
I take care of my stuff. I have people lined up wanting to buy my daily driver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder for stoopid high money-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSDancer View Post
I am picking up my new Airstream this Saturday. I am having second thoughts now. Where in Texas did you purchase the trailer.
Got it in Virgina at Stafford RV were they've been selling them for many years.
Amaranto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
The major problems we have had - bad a/c unit and a leak under kitchen sink - are still minor to us. It has not affected our memories that we have had in our Classic. We do not consider our unit to be a lemon and are very, very thankful we are proud owners of an Airstream.

Laura & Tom
Old 09-04-2015, 06:10 AM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wadr.....

I do believe that JC has lost their sense of direction, QC was lacking when we purchased in 2004, 2015 shows little improvement.

Wally's famous advice to make no changes, rather only improvements.....

Bob
Old 09-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I think it is a shame that new trailers have such problems, relegated to the dealer network to repair before delivery. As I have said before, these trailers are junk compared to the cruising sailboat that I owned and the whole RV industry should be ashamed. It has been proven that building it right the first time should not cost more money, but the objective seems to be maximum production.
Having said that, we are the second owners of our trailer, originally purchased from Colonial. We have had only minor issues, although they were all related to inferior materials or construction practices. We have enjoyed using our Airstream, but I cringe at what I am facing to keep it operating as designed. Had I been smarter before getting into this, I might have stayed with sailing.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #51
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The good news is that when you get your items resolved, you will have many years of enjoyment. I love just hooking up to my '98 and hitting the road.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Denton , Texas
I have to say that I am surprised by the tolerance of AS buyers for poor quality. The expectation when buying an AS product is the best of the best. Unfortunately, based on these posts buyers are willing to pay top $ for a shoddy product and then go to great lengths to get their issues fixed. A manufacturer who doesn't consider quality as the most important part of their product will only improve it if their sales are impacted by it or their cost of correcting it becomes excessive.
dajen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Why do people think AS is the best? It's because that's what they are told AS should be by those on the forums. You folks are your worst enemy. False expectations punctuated after the fact by complaints. AS are iconic, unusual, beautiful, a thrill to own, but just a little better on QC than an SOB. Enjoy it for what it is, not for what it isn't!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #54
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Ditto to Avion. If you want the AS Supreme model have Timeless Travel in Denver buy a shell and truly custom build you a one of a kind piece of art. Probably double to triple the price and since it is still a trailer that moves/bumps/shimmies down the road I'd guess that you might have fewer problems but still have normal wear and tear and the same complaints.

Or bet a model like Pat has in post #51. Now that's a Timeless travel trailer.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I don't see what the big deal is. All RVs have issues. Even the super pricey Class A motor coaches. And while we would all love it if they were built to the quality standard of new cars, that isn't a reality today.

Our $350,000 44' Class A diesel pusher had a bad AC unit (one of three units on the roof). That's not a coach manufacturer quality problem... that's an issue with the AC manufacturer. The AC maker covered the replacement. Should that have been caught at the factory or dealer prep? Sure. But it wasn't. And one of the slide topper had an issue as well and had to be replaced. Also had a small windshield leak. As these issues became apparent, they were taken care of under warranty. Also had a couple of shades that went bad... also covered under warranty.

Yes, we needed to visit the shop a few times to get these things all sorted out. Did I moan and groan about bad QC on the motorhome? Swear I'd never buy a high-end motor coach again? Not at all. ALL RVs have issues of one sort or another. That's life. You should expect to have to deal with a few. And it's not the end of the world.

If you decide to buy a cheaper unit than an Airstream, thinking you won't have any quality control or manufacturing problems, you've probably got some major expectation problems.

If you want a new Airstream, go peruse, decide on one, check it out thoroughly before signing papers and you'll likely be as well of,f if not better off, than with any other trailer or 5th wheel out there you might buy. That goes for ALL RVs, including high end Class A coaches.

Lastly, don't be surprised if you buy a new Airstream and it happens to check out practically perfect! Our 2016 30' Serenity did. But that doesn't mean I don't expect to have some fix-it matters crop up with usage. I do expect that... it's the way with RVs... ALL of them.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:20 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
For me I guess the big deal is expecting more for my hard earned dollar.
This trailer is the most expensive thing I have ever bought.
I guess expecting new car or electronics quality out of any TV is a pipe dream.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2015, 04:21 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
TV = RV

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-05-2015, 08:03 AM   #58
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Clearly, your dealer dropped the ball by not doing a decent prep, and probably for not telling you that those lights over your sofa are push on/off....and while FOR SURE, the factory failed as well. With regard to your leaky sink issue, be more concerned about the furnace...which is directly underneath the sink cabinetry. If you got water in there (likely), the furnace board may have shorted out. (The awning electronics are behind your microwave or right behind the drawer underneath it.) I've had my Classic for about 6 months now and while I didn't have any huge issues, I've spent around 60 nights in it and it's throughly shaken down. The last shake down was a week ago....after driving on I70 through Indiana (my vote for the WORST roads in the US), the sink actually fell from the countertop. When I got home, I removed the entire Corian countertop and remounted it. Sadly, Airstream had only 4 small clips holding it to the countertop. I reinforced this, as well as used epoxy to enhance the bond of the stainless steel to the underside of the countertop. I've had a few other issues as well -- including failure of one of the accordian blinds in the front of the trailer. Overall, though, the trailer has been great. I do think, though, that if you are NOT handy around the house you'd soon get worn out from trips to the dealer to fix minor -- but irritating -- issues.

BAB, I second the vote about I70, I traveled it as well this summer and it's horrible, too many holes, I'm talking "BIG HOLES" after hitting a few, I had to stop and check for damage, but, at least their was construction EVERYWHERE, I promised myself, from now own, I'm headed to Alberta and the Yukon. I have traveled from Mississippi to all points up to the Northwest Territory, the Yukon Territory and Alaska and I will have to say Indiana and Ohio have the roughest roads I have ever traveled.

As far as my Airstream, I had some issues, but, I also expected to have some, since they are made by Humans, however, my parents have one just like mine (2015 Classic) and they had more issues, some that I thought should have been caught and repaired at the factory before the unit was released for delivery. All in all, like Mike, we made a list, and stopped at Jackson Center for all the repairs, and like Mike, the service center does Quality work, and they are very very nice. I would and will go there for my repairs if at all possible.

Good Luck everyone with your repairs.

J Nelson
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #59
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
It all comes down to the guy or gal with the tools in their hands. If they aren't trained and equipped to do their job, therein is problem #1. If they cant communicate with their supervisors, the problems will compound.

If their supervisor / line foreman is a jerk, there's #2.

The list goes on, If the fella that pushes the broom around in the shop is happy, It is a good indicator of the climate the workers are in.
It is not the sole responsibility of the final inspector to find issues, that belongs to every person that handles the part or assembly as it is installed.

This is the point where the invisible becomes the obvious.

There is no reason that a 120,00+ AS shouldn't be as close to perfect coming out the door.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
There is no reason that a 120,00+ AS shouldn't be as close to perfect coming out the door.
You are right. And our $110,000 AS was close to perfect, as I'm sure many Airstreams, regardless of model, are.

But, I wouldn't expect a Classic to be any better built than a Sport. They are much more complicated coaches than the less costly models. In fact, with the more complex/electric/automated features (which I personally don't find "belonging" on an Airstream in the first place), one might actually expect more malfunctions and ongoing mechanical issues with the new Classics than with any of the other models.

For us, the sweet spot among Airstream models is the Serenity. Sophisticated, but not overly complex, nor over-done. But each of us have different tastes in trailers.