Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Myrtle Creek , Oregon
14x25 roof vent

Howdy to all. I am brand new to the Airstream world. My dad has been in a mid 60's Airstream for many years now. We travel around in our 2008 casita and have been looking for a little more room and personality, I also am refinishing a 1971 26' Streamline. BUT, as of this week my wife and I have joined the Airstream world. We spent $4,500 on a 1965 Airstream safari 22' and I am hoping to redo the inside to our liking as I think that I can put a queen walk around bed in the front (after I change the water tank a bit). The rest of the trailer is in pretty good shape and has no water damage but I think I am going to replace everything I can on the inside with hickory for a little lighter color and put in a nice hardwood floor, real wood not laminate. My first and most important thing right now is to find a 14x25 vent for this safari as this is about the only thing missing and I am really glad that the previous owners kept it tarped up so I don't have water damage to deal with. If any of you out there can point me in the right direction I would be grateful, I would like to get the 14x25 replaced with a matching vent and I should probably replace the other two smaller ones as they are pretty tough to open. I am also going to need to redo the window seals as they look like they could give at any time and I really want to keep this baby as water tight as I can. Thanks for any advice and help you may have to offer.
Howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey, congratulations on the new Airstream! You can get the replacement skylight from Vintage Trailer supply, but I'd suggest getting an actual skylight- the clearer light from a clear lite is much nicer than the milky gloom from a fiberglass one. I had ours out for a repair this weekend and the light streaming into the trailer clinched it for me. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
Howdy to all. I am brand new to the Airstream world. My dad has been in a mid 60's Airstream for many years now. We travel around in our 2008 casita and have been looking for a little more room and personality, I also am refinishing a 1971 26' Streamline. BUT, as of this week my wife and I have joined the Airstream world. We spent $4,500 on a 1965 Airstream safari 22' and I am hoping to redo the inside to our liking as I think that I can put a queen walk around bed in the front (after I change the water tank a bit). The rest of the trailer is in pretty good shape and has no water damage but I think I am going to replace everything I can on the inside with hickory for a little lighter color and put in a nice hardwood floor, real wood not laminate. My first and most important thing right now is to find a 14x25 vent for this safari as this is about the only thing missing and I am really glad that the previous owners kept it tarped up so I don't have water damage to deal with. If any of you out there can point me in the right direction I would be grateful, I would like to get the 14x25 replaced with a matching vent and I should probably replace the other two smaller ones as they are pretty tough to open. I am also going to need to redo the window seals as they look like they could give at any time and I really want to keep this baby as water tight as I can. Thanks for any advice and help you may have to offer.
You can get all of these items at Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers! . Check the perimeter of your floor very carefully as it is almost unheard of that floor rot would not be on a trailer of your era, especially in your area. There are numerous threads about floor rot repair or you could check out The Vintage Airstream Podcast | Vintage Trailer Restoration .
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Yup, that is what did our entire floor in- a cracked and leaking main skylight.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tubac , Arizona
i cannot find this item there. help?
No blenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
What year trailer do you have?
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Astro dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by No blenda View Post
i cannot find this item there. help?
No blenda, InlandRV parts lists the Astrodome as available/ backordered. They will usually tell you if you call them when they expect to have them back in stock. I imagine that VTS may not have them in stock right now and everything is delayed on stock due to the Covid issue. You might check with OutOfDoorsMart.com and see what their status on the part is. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Try Out of Doors Mart in NC. They have lots of vintage stuff.

The Idea of replacing it with a skylight is also good.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Check with Maxim Skylights 888-222-4998

They have a 3 layer one that I replaced my factory crapola one with. Custom.sized. I am only guessing that they make ones that can beanually opened
Old 04-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tubac , Arizona
1960 tradewind 24'
Old 04-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tubac , Arizona
Thanks.
I think originally this was a crank up event with the screw on either side.
Would like to have a vent but not stuck on it, but I think I have to replace the whole framework that goes through the shell because there's a gasket in there that leaks pretty bad