Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Tekonsha P-3

My Prodigy has a glitch in it, and I just upgraded it to a new Tekonsha P-3 controller. It is 'supposed' to be the next generation of controllers from Prodigy. I will be connectiong it later this week, and will be on the road sometime around the 18th of June.

I'll post a report about it's operation. It says that it has on-board diagnostics, more visible information on the screen and the ability to be used on either electric or hydraulic brake systems.

We'll see................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Just broke my P3 in

Hey Lew
I recently replace a very old (POS) Draw Tite brake controller with the P3. The difference is night and day. I've never used any of the "better" controllers until now, but must say I'm extremely happy with the P3. From what I've read, it's inner workings are similiar to the Prodigy. However, it has the added benefit of a small screen that can dispaly error messages, brake voltage, set voltage, etc. It's pretty easy to operate and adjust on the fly. The backlit screen can be changed to multiple colors if you'd like and it can even display messages in french or spanish. I wasn't concerned with the latter bells and whistles, but it's nice to set the voltage and see error messages if need be. I also like the boost feature, and the #2 setting seems to feel right. It does have an electric or electric over hydraulic setting. Just returmed from a 200 mi. trip and think it was a great investment. It worked very well with the truck brakes. I also got a $20 rebate with it which brought the price down to $115 or so. It feels like a well made unit and so far, I'd recommed it. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Even the regular old Prodigy gives some level of error message feed back. On my first trip with the Safari I looked at it and saw that the brakes were intermittently not connected. I pulled over and determined it was a poor connetion between the male and female sides of the plug. I pried out the prongs a bit and we were on our way. I'm glad that's how I found out about the problem rather than by having to do a panic stop with no brakes.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
Even the regular old Prodigy gives some level of error message feed back. On my first trip with the Safari I looked at it and saw that the brakes were intermittently not connected. I pulled over and determined it was a poor connetion between the male and female sides of the plug. I pried out the prongs a bit and we were on our way. I'm glad that's how I found out about the problem rather than by having to do a panic stop with no brakes.
That's exactly what mine is (was) doing. I ran continuity checks on EVERY WIRE PATHWAY from the battery thru the controller, down the van to the 7-way, thru the 7-way to the trailer, to the ground bus, to the brakes, thru the brakes and back again. NO PROBLEMS!!

Every time you step on the brakes, they would work and then the NC message would come on for 15 seconds, and then return to normal.

After spending about 45 minutes with Prodigy tech support over 3 calls, we determined that the unit was bad and should be replaced. I'll be installing the P-3 over the weekend and will report back.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Lew,
What is the P-3? A new upgraded super special quantum nano Prodigy? And I have never unplugged our Prodigy. Did replace a bad one two years ago under warranty.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Lew,
What is the P-3? A new upgraded super special quantum nano Prodigy?
Thanks,
Ken
Ken,

The P-3 is the next generation of brake controller from Tekonsha, makers of the Prodigy. They said that they incorporated a lot of user suggestions in the design of the P-3, and it has more useable diagnostics and on-screen info than the Prodigy does. Plus, they say that it is compatible with electric drum brakes AND electrically actuated hydraulic disc brakes.

More to come after the installation!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Tekonsha P-3 Report

Got the P-3 installed yesterday. Much to my surprise , it is exactly the same wiring as a Prodigy and even uses the same wiring pigtail and plug (DUH!). The entire install took.......4 minutes.....and that was because the cradle that holds the P-3 would not fit in the old Prodigy space and I had to do a little 'surgery'!

You can choose the screen color (like a cell phone) and the diagnostics are much better than the Prodigy......things like amperage, if the connection to the trailer is good, shorted, open or if you have a grounding problem. Three boost settings are available which start the power to the brakes at a pre-determined level, rather than zero. I used the B-1 on the Prodigy and it worked very well. We'll see if the new one is any different.I haven't towed with it yet, but I surely will on Wed. when the cross-country trip starts.

More on the performance later...............
Old 06-26-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Port Moody , BC
I'm getting my new 07 Tundra set up for towing. I returned the "Hoppy" unit to the store when I read your glowing reports on the tekonsha. It seems i should load a P3 into my vehicle? Appreciate the advice. I'm still looking for a 25 foot airstream to tow.

Jim
jwe63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
OK,

Ater towing from Naples, FL to Albuquerque, NM in 2.5 days, the P-3 performed flawlessly! Nice diagnostics, big, easy to read numbers, and lots of cool color choices for the screen background .

I'm fairly certain that you can get a direct harness to wire it in to any major truck brand...even Toyota. I would spend the bucks once and get the best the first time. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
OK,

Ater towing from Naples, FL to Albuquerque, NM in 2.5 days, the P-3 performed flawlessly!
Lew, it doesn't sound like you were using the brakes much to cover that distance in such a short time
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Nope!

Just enough to stop for diesel, p-breaks and nappies .

The brakes WILL be getting quite a work-out after the Denver stop once I hit Wyoming and Oregon with the long 6-7% grades and downhills.............
Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I installed my new P3 and it had the same wiring scheme as my Hayes-Lemmerz Energize III. I haven't towed with it yet but I have found one thing that concerned me. It was 98 degrees outside and after awhile the A/C inside my Chevy 2500hd did not seem to be putting out its normal cold air. The screen on the P3 looked like someone scribbled over it with a black magic marker. I've heard that when the underhood temps get rather hot on the 2500hd that the A/C struggles. Factory warranty fix was to install some type of fan with thermostat that blows onto the condensor which helps lower temps in that area and allows the A/C to operate up to its potential. I've had LCD stopwatches wash out like this on a hot day while running a pistol range. I went through two of them before finding one which worked without problems.

I'm hoping to take the trailer out this weekend to set up the controller and check operation of the DynaBeads installed last week. The AM Solar 65 watt panel also arrived today so I plan on installing it this weekend.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Lew, with a bit more time since the install, how do you rate this controler? By the way, who sells these?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Lew, with a bit more time since the install, how do you rate this controler? By the way, who sells these?
Rodney,

I still like it! Probably the best I have used, but other's opinions may vary.

You can probably get them at Camping World (although I have a great disdain for those places). If you can't find one, let me know and I'll get you a private referral.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
P-3 for Hyd/disc brakes?

Lew, I had the same Prodgy NC problem last year after I changed brakes to Hyd/disc's on my 2001 31'and then l installed the P-3. And vola, not a single problem in a whole year of towing with the new P-3. The Prodgy was great with the ol-electrics but they didn't cut it with the ActiBrake controller,even tho they said they would. It's not fun to try to stop when your getting a NC indication. I used the manual override and then the would take hold. The P-3 is a great product and works everytime. Now it's dream to use.

HaHa and disc brakes forever.

I found the best deal at PPL for the P-3
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote