Old 12-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mod did it and explained it in the other thread.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Is it difficult to bleed the brakes on an Airstream with disc hydraulic brakes. Maybe I need to do this as I have some delay.

Do you just get someone to move the manual brake lever on the brake controller to get the pump to apply pressure then open the bleed valve on each wheel? Top off the pump reservoir after each wheel is bled?

Kelvin

Old 12-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Kelvin, if you still have the original actibrake, just pull the breakaway switch pin. Pump will only run 20 seconds with pressure on the system, then shut off. Open the bleeder, pump turns on, purge air, close bleeder, pump turns off. No helper needed.

HOWEVER, getting the air out of the inner caliper half is a challenge. I crack the line fitting, but am never confident I am getting all the air out of the inner half.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
There are several different types of hydraulic brake calipers, and electric actuators available. The biggest difference is the single piston vs. four piston calipers. The four piston calipers are almost impossible to properly bleed, IMHO. That is because each caliper has two resevoirs, but only one has a bleed valve. SO, DEXTER, HOW DO YOU GET ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE OTHER RESEVOIR?

They say to bleed them "fast", whatever that means, but I've tried bleeding them as "fast" as the actuator will go, but still have unacceptable delay. Actually tried self-developed methods that work better.

Our 34' has the four piston calipers, and came equipped with the Actibrake actuator (no longer built, and that's a good thing because most all of them eventually fail, as did ours). We now have a Dexter Actuator, and the last time I hooked up the trailer about a week about just to move it so I could do some lot maintenance, the Dexter also failed in the on condition and would not shut off. Even after bleeding this system three different times, it still has what I consider unacceptable delay, and Dexter says about a one second delay is the best they can do. One second is a long time traveling down the road a 65MPH when some fool pulls out in front of you.

Having towed trailers since the early 70's with electric brakes, I never had one fail, and we've owned this trailer about 13 months and all I've had is trouble with the hydraulic brakes. After you can get them to come on, and you stand on them, they STOP. But, wish I had electrics. YMMV.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
That sounds like the same experience I'm having about a 1 second delay. I have the Dexter actuator vs the Actibrake. I also have what looks like a trailer brake magnet in parallel in the electrical wiring to the Dexter actuator (one wire splices into the wire to the Dexter and the other magnet wire is screwed into a ground). My Prodigy P2 is set to electric over hydraulic but with the magnet connected maybe it's confusing things however I remember when I first got the trailer it was set on electric brakes and after changing it I thought the brakes worked better. I have to set the P2 gain very low, around 1.4 otherwise the trailer brakes will be too aggressive.

It sounds like my brakes don't need to be bled since the Dexter was installed March 2013 and the trailer hasn't been heavily used. Brake pads have plenty left.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 12-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, Steve, a bleeder in the inboard caliper is the fix for most of our woes relative to bleeding. I have found the only way to "easily" bleed the inner half is to loosen the supply line so it leaks very slowly....somewhere between a weep and a leak and watch until no bubbles come out. Then proceed to the normal bleeding method for the outer half. I'm still not sure you get all the air that way.

There is another way, but it would take 2 people, maybe a fabbed fixture, and some acrobatic dexterity. I hesitate to post it, as I haven't tried it and it could pose some risk of injury unless you are very familiar with potential ramifications of high pressure while the caliper is removed from the hub and disc.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
kelvin, I wouldn't count on the installers of your new actuator bleeding properly. They surely introduced air in the line at the actuator. Assuming they bled the system well after that, unless they fully understand the caliper setup, most of the air they introduced is now captive in your inner caliper half.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #22
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
First of all, I have many years experience using electric trailer brakes and zero experience using electric over hydraulic trailer brakes. However after reading about all the minor annoyances people report with electric/hydraulic brakes I would not consider "upgrading". I have never had a brake problem with electric brakes that would not have also been a problem with E/H brakes. In other words they have all been in the wiring that would be prior to the actuator in an E/H system. I have never felt a need for any more additional stopping power in any electric brake trailer with the wiring intact to the trailer. The only annoying problem I have had in the Airstream was an improperly (at the factory) tightened (as in not) nut on the post where the umbilical cord ties into the trailer wiring.

Anyway, my point is: I would not recommend the change if you are not experiencing any braking problems, or have some problems, but have not thoroughly checked the controller and its settings and also the wiring and connections thoroughly.

Yes, properly working and adjusted disk brakes work better, but do you need better than you currently have?

Ken
Old 12-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ken, the comparison is like comparing an old car with 4 wheel drum brakes to the next gen cars (60s) that had front discs. Drums stopped the car. Discs stopped the car more predictably and in a shorter distance...and just "feel" better. I've had both electric and E/H brakes on trailers and E/H are superior performers.

Both kinds have their issues, just different issues and different solutions and differing complexity to solutions. Discs are worth it for me.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #24
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ken, the comparison is like comparing an old car with 4 wheel drum brakes to the next gen cars (60s) that had front discs. Drums stopped the car. Discs stopped the car more predictably and in a shorter distance...and just "feel" better. I've had both electric and E/H brakes on trailers and E/H are superior performers.

Both kinds have their issues, just different issues and different solutions and differing complexity to solutions. Discs are worth it for me.
I will not say that I would not say the same thing if I tried it, but I learned a long time ago to not fix problems I don't know I have.

(Unless it involves some toys I want to buy and need an excuse)

Ken
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ken, we're on the same page, but I had maintenance/repair issues on my old trailer I don't and won't have with discs as well. It's a trade off, but the performance difference is noticeable.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Have a friend in our unit with a 2000 34', which has E/H discs (probably some of the first ones), and they are single piston calipers. He has had only one issue with his brakes in all these years, and that was a leaking line. He reports no delay. Not sure how you can measure or state NO delay, but anyway I think the four piston calipers are a POS for our purposes. We don't need Corvette, race track type braking performance, we just need the damn things to work, and work every time we step on the pedal, when we step on the pedal.

We towed home last July from Idaho with no trailer brakes after the Actibrake failed, and here I am waiting for a replacement Dexter actuator to get here. Hope the next one has more than a five month life span.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, was it a warranty replacement? I think if/when my Actibrake goes, I am going to get the Tuson to go with my Direclink....I think you went Direclink too, IIRC? BTW, I need to start a new thread on the GREAT interaction I had with Tuson's engineer.

Maybe, I'm just fortunate, but my system has worked predictably and reliably for 7 years (I've had for 4 years). Still has original Actibrake, I've had no "short" brake hose issues and no controller issues (other than when I picked up the AS and had no idea that my circa 1994 Kelsey Hayes controller wouldn't work with E/H). I know I just jinxed myself, but mechanically I can't complain. All I've done is flushed and replaced the brake fluid, and worked out an unnecessarily complex bleeding procedure. I also tested two iterations of Dexter's anti-rattle clip prototypes, which I now understand come on their axle assemblies.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
No, I have the P3.