Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Disc brake Retro fit kits

It won't be long now.............

We expect to have, very shortly, disc brake kits available for any 12 inch electric or disc brake equipped Airstream that will fit from the early 1950 trailers to current production.

The kits will be all inclusive with rotors, calipers, actuator, steel hydraulic lines, fittings, and mounting hardware. Detailed step by step instructions with photo's will also be included.

The actuator, if desired, can be installed underneath the front lounge, or any other convenient place within the trailer, keeping it out of the weather.

The actuator is very small and contains a 6 piston, two stage, two circuit pump, that provides up to 1500 psi pressure in eight tenths of a second. The brake load rating of the system is 6000 pounds per axle.

The actuator that we will provide in our kits, also has an Extend'a Hold feature, that maintains brake line pressure and turns off the pump motor until it is needed to charge the brake lines. It engages a second valve that holds the pressure in the brake lines during periods when the vehicle is stopped and standing idle. This feature greatly reduces heat build-up and improves the reliability and longevity of the actuator.

Our actuator will also operate with any good quality, interia-based in-cab electric brake controller.

Prices have yet to be determined.

Attached are a couple of photo's showing the rotor and caliper mounted on a section of the Henschen axle.

Stay tuned.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disc brake 1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	8840   Click image for larger version

Name:	disc brake 2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	8841  

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Looks like a nice unit Andy.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
...Our actuator will also operate with any good quality, inertia-based in-cab electric brake controller...
Looks like it will be a fine system.

I wonder why a specific type of brake controller is specified? It seems like any decent controller would do the job.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
Read it again Tom

No specific type was called out.

Anyhoo, this looks like a super thing. 2 circuits... This provides redundancy???
stephen.s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I believe YOU need to read it again

Andy specified an inertia-based controller which is one type of controller. The other two types I am aware of in common use are linkage-based, and time-based.

Tom
Old 10-08-2004, 07:23 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd be interested in what they cost. The drums do a great job if maintained properly, though it is true that discs are better, specifically on a car or truck. For me, cost would really show if at some point it would be worth a mod. But it is a neat idea, couldn't hurt (except mt wallet).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Andy specified an inertia-based controller which is one type of controller. The other two types I am aware of in common use are linkage-based, and time-based.

Tom
I'd like to know WHY they won't work. Is it a warranty/liability issue?

Will these work with the new Ford integrated factory installed brake controller?

Also, will the pump handle a triple axle?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:16 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don, I believe the brakes from what I've read will work with any good intertia based electric brake controller. As far as I know Andy hasn't said that it won't work with a specific type electric intertia brake controller. If your question is about the other non-inertia type, I suppose someone might be able to answer that.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I know that the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller was not to be used with the Dexter disc brakes. I wondered if the problem was due to the controller, or the disc brakes, and if it was true for Andy's new system as well.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I know that the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller was not to be used with the Dexter disc brakes...
That's interesting since the Prodigy is an inertia-based controller. Would you happen to know why Dexter "blacklisted" that particular controller?

The Prodigy has one feature that may be a contributing factor - After so many seconds of the driver keeping his/her foot on the brake at a stop light, the Prodigy will hold the brakes at 25% of the dialed in power adjustment until the brake pedal is released.

Or it could be something else.

Tom
Old 10-08-2004, 09:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
That's interesting since the Prodigy is an inertia-based controller. Would you happen to know why Dexter "blacklisted" that particular controller?

Or it could be something else.

Tom
Tom,

I think it has to do with the diagnostic features of the Prodigy. It tests the circuits periodically, and if it doesn't see the proper resistance (from the magnets) it faults out.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
MasterBrake, of Dallas Texas, offers hydraulic disk brake conversions. On my 3-axle '99 Classic Limited the total cost was about $3300, including six disk brake units and the hydraulic pump and all installation.

The functionality of this conversion is awesome!
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
linc54,

Out of curiosity, why did you have the conversion done on such a relatively new Airstream?

Tom
Old 10-08-2004, 10:31 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Airstream Service Center is also offering this type of kit to be installed. You can call 1-937-596-6111 ext 7413 to get pricing details.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc54
MasterBrake, of Dallas Texas, offers hydraulic disk brake conversions. On my 3-axle '99 Classic Limited the total cost was about $3300, including six disk brake units and the hydraulic pump and all installation.

The functionality of this conversion is awesome!
I guess that answered my question about the pump being able to handle three axles. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
linc54,

Out of curiosity, why did you have the conversion done on such a relatively new Airstream?

Tom
Some brake work was going to be required, and I couldn't see spending about $1000 on old technology brakes. MasterBrake, on their website, has some performance comparisons between electric drum brakes and hydraulic disk brakes, which I can't find right now. Anyway, stopping distance on their test trailer, from 60 mph, was reduced by almost 100 feet after the conversion from electric drum to hydraulic disks - that's the difference between a bad wreck and a not-even-close miss.
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:

The Prodigy has one feature that may be a contributing factor - After so many seconds of the driver keeping his/her foot on the brake at a stop light, the Prodigy will hold the brakes at 25% of the dialed in power adjustment until the brake pedal is released.

Tom
I always thought that this was a fluke with the Priodigy. Glad to see it's acutally suppose to do that.

I also agree that 100 feet can be the difference between something nasty and just a blip on the radar. However, if you buy it at the time you buy the coach, it's a sunk included cost. After the fact, it's a bit harder to justify when you are pulling the added bucks out of your wallet (or purse) after you just paid $40+k for your coach.

It would be great if Airstream really did offer this at the factory that it should be an option or just standard equipment. I mean it's the king of the hill coach right? Why not have king of the hill brakes as well?
Old 10-08-2004, 03:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The manufacturer of the actuator that we will use, spelled out the type controller, not us.

As with anything, perhaps other controllers would work, but if they did not do the proper job, then who gets the blame for the reduced performance?

We have been very careful selecting the brand and type that we will provide.

Some systems that are available have some serious drawbacks, such as the actuator overheating at stops, inadequate pressure, a excessive rise time to the maximum pressure, costs, etc.

Rest assured, the kits won't be cheap, but they won't require having to hock the house.

As with any system, cheapies will also be availble, along with their inferior perfomance.

Hopefully, this coming week, we will have all the info posted on our web site, along with photo's, and prices.

Our system because of the small size of the actuator, can be mounted in an access compartment near the axles. That also will keep it out of the weather.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

The only controller not yet mentioned...

is the hydraulic style. Will this disc brake set-up work with this? Yes, some of us cruise "Classic" bumper to bumper, not tongue to bumper.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Our system because of the small size of the actuator, can be mounted in an access compartment near the axles. That also will keep it out of the weather.
I can imagine. I just removed the pneumatic powered hydralic actuator from a '78 sovereign. Weather was doing a job on it and it was quite a bit of weight and space behind the propane tanks. (trailer was converted to electric brakes a while back from the factory installed disk brakes).
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote