Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
brakes lock-up initially

Question about my braking system....

Whenever I hook up and head out, I notice that my trailer brakes are very *sensitive* for the first 500 yards or so ... that is, when I just barely touch the brake pedal on my truck, the trailer brakes lock-up. I usually get out of the truck - walk around it just to check things out - and start again. Seems that the brakes are okay after that. My neighbor explained that it's due to backing in and the brakes being *set* differently. BUT, I noticed this happens regardless of whether my last movement was backing into a space or just pulling forward and stopping for the night. I have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. Any ideas?
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Question about my braking system....

Whenever I hook up and head out, I notice that my trailer brakes are very *sensitive* for the first 500 yards or so ... that is, when I just barely touch the brake pedal on my truck, the trailer brakes lock-up. I usually get out of the truck - walk around it just to check things out - and start again. Seems that the brakes are okay after that. My neighbor explained that it's due to backing in and the brakes being *set* differently. BUT, I noticed this happens regardless of whether my last movement was backing into a space or just pulling forward and stopping for the night. I have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. Any ideas?
Laura
The cause is rapid rusting of the drums, because of the location of the trailer.

Overnight rusting can occur, so that when you first hit the brakes a few times, the "extra" braking comes from burning the rust off. After a few brake applications, the rust is gone, no more problem.

There is no cure other than get away from the salt water.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I live in a desert climate so what Andy said doesn't apply to me. Never-the-less, I have severe brakes for the first few applications. I don't worry about it. By the way, I live on the side of a mountain and the first few applications are on a steep downgrade.

Gene
Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you want to reduce this before you get out in traffic.

As you pull out do so with the manual brake controller on just a little so you are actually pulling against the brakes. You shouldn't have to do this for more than 100 ft. This will clear the rust off the drums.

I am assuming you have checked your brake shoes recently and are not down to rivets or metal.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the replies! You've answered my *curiosity* about this condition!!! The PO said the brakes were *good* --- and I've put on about 500+ miles. But - will be getting new brakes with my new axles. Planned installation date of 12/21/08!!!!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote