Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I note a number of comments on sensors or extenders "flopping around".

Remember the standard low cost "snap-in" rubber valves are rated 60 psi MAX.

Rubber in valves ages like rubber in tires so you should ALWAYS replace the valve or rubber o-ring part of bolt in valves whenever you change tires.

Rubber valves are not designed to have stuff hung on the end so if you use either extenders or TPMS you should use bolt in metal valves.

I don't even think "high pressure" snap in rubber valves would be best with external TPMS.

I believe that most TT have passenger size valve holes not truck tire size valve holes so be sure you get the correct valve.

I have even written a few posts just on valves and others just on TPMS on my blog.
I had the high pressure snap in rubber/metal valves that failed....I agree, I am suspicious the external sensors at least contributed to the failures.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I guess there are +&- to all the various systems, internal sensors are most likely more accurate and reliable, but no replaceable batteries and they are transmitting even with the tires off, in the basement, for Winter storage.

(POI...in this regard, my OEM Burb sensors are 7yrs old and still going strong, maybe I will get around to installing the spares in the AS.)

External sensors can find legs and walk or get lost, but are more easily replaced, and removing can extend battery life.

Bob
Your Burb sensors are motion activated. The batteries are consumed only after the sensors turn on as a result of wheel rotation. I don't know if the add on TPMS systems with internal sensors are the same. My externals are on anytime air pressure is applied....so I remove them if I am stopped for more than overnight, to conserve battery life.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
Tireman9, Are these new to you?

1-1/4" High Pressure Snap In Tire Valve: AnythingTruck.com, Heavy Duty Truck & Trailer Parts and Light Duty Truck Accessories Warehouse

My EB has rubber stems and 80# max tire pressure on the Michelins,

And I thought I was done when I swapped out the bimetal lugnuts, , ,
No "High Pressure - Snap in" are not news. I even mentioned in previous post. While they can handle the higher pressure I am unsure about their ability to have no flex when a TPM sensor or hose extender is used on them.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I didn't, I have no idea what brand.......just know the were installed by Discount Tire

You can still file a complaint. Simply identify the Discount tire store as the seller and let them worry about establishing if the valve or their workmanship of doing the install was the cause of the failures.
I would enter under Tire Complaint.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You can still file a complaint. Simply identify the Discount tire store as the seller and let them worry about establishing if the valve or their workmanship of doing the install was the cause of the failures.
I would enter under Tire Complaint.
Done

Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
BTW, I had the stems, referenced in post #25, installed yesterday. They fit fine in the Sendel wheels and are the perfect length for the sensor mounting.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The sensors with the Dill system go to sleep when not moving extending the battery life.They wake up at 20-30 mph
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I just recently installed the TST TPMS system with external sensors at the same time as I replaced my bearings and installed centramatics.

Although I have not had them for long I am very pleased with the setup. I have noticed my right tire runs about 6 degrees hotter than the left one, but both are well within temperature range. I am not too concerned about the rubber stems, the sensors are very lightweight and in talking to TST they should not pose a problem. One of the things I really like about the TST sensors is that they require a key to remove, have user replaceable batteries and when not threaded to the valve stems they go off conserving their battery.

My only complaint is that the little LCD panel that reports tire pressure and temperature is made to monitor something like 22 wheels and I only have 2. But the panel is small, attractive and comes with two different mounting systems.

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Before I push the button on this, any comments from those in the know: TPMS, TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS - Home

Good, bad, ok? Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Before I push the button on this, any comments from those in the know: TPMS, TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS - Home

I have no personal experience, but there have been some fans on the forum in the past. I bet if you search on Hawkshead, you'll find quite a bit.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
I just recently installed the TST TPMS system with external sensors at the same time as I replaced my bearings and installed centramatics.

Although I have not had them for long I am very pleased with the setup. I have noticed my right tire runs about 6 degrees hotter than the left one, but both are well within temperature range. I am not too concerned about the rubber stems, the sensors are very lightweight and in talking to TST they should not pose a problem. One of the things I really like about the TST sensors is that they require a key to remove, have user replaceable batteries and when not threaded to the valve stems they go off conserving their battery.

My only complaint is that the little LCD panel that reports tire pressure and temperature is made to monitor something like 22 wheels and I only have 2. But the panel is small, attractive and comes with two different mounting systems.

-J
I wouldn't be too concerned with a 6 degree difference in temperature as we do not know if 1. Your loads are different side to side or 2. If the TPM sensors are exactly identical.
I have done a number of comparison tests and posted the numbers on my blog if you are interested.
If you are really concerned then I suggest simply swap the sensors. You don't even have to re-set the TPMS system while doing the test. Now is the "Hot tire" still hot or did the increase in temperature move when you moving the sensors?
Just remember to either move the sensors back to their original position or do the system reset so you are getting the correct reading from the correct position.

If the Hot tire is still the hot tire after the sensor swap then I suggest you need to learn the actual loading on each side of the axles as higher temperature could be indicating higher load so you may not be setting the tires to the proper inflation.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrel509 View Post
Y'all,

My cousin and I both have 28ft Internationals. Last year, I blew up two Marathons. This year, I blew up four! My cousin blew two brand new ones a couple of weeks ago.

ALL of our failures were the same - tread separation from the carcass! But by now, you all are certainly aware of the crap these tires represent.

My point is, we both purchased simple TPMS systems for our trailers this year and, with every blow out, our trailers were spared damage with these monitors!

TPMS systems are the only way to go!

I found a $300 system on EBay to monitor all eight tires on truck and trailer. This system saved me THOUSANDS in trailer damage!
With that many failures something is wrong. If it isn't your load, inflation or speed then there may be problems with the tires. You really should be filing complaints with NHTSA.
Failing to file complaints is not helping yourself or fellow RV owners get better quality tires to the market. Properly filed complaints are important if NHTSA is going to consider or start an investigation.

Based on my reviews of posts on RV forums and of actual actionable complaints filed with NHTSA we are our own worst enemy when it comes to properly reporting tire failures to NHTSA as we either don't bother or if a complaint is filed incomplete or incorrect information is provided. The net result is that some questionable tires continue to enter the RV market.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #53
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post

You might consider the length of warranty.

One year seems to be the norm for RVs and RV products ( pretty poor in my opinion considering that many vehicle manufacturers offer 3 to 5 or 10 year warranties)

I know of at least one system with replaceable batteries and three year warranty.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Norman , Arizona
Gosh! I haven't posted here for a while and need to catch up!
First question: Nature of tire failure - I don't have any pics right now but I'll post when I can take some. 60psi per AS manual on all tires. Tread separated two different ways - one bulged out the sidewall and all the others blew a bubble under the tread. At some point the bubble just split or popped and my TPMS started screaming. Each time I pulled over very quickly (envisioning the tire flying apart and causing damage) in time to hear loud hissing noises. Was it a blowout? It didn't go "bang" if that's what you mean. Each time the "bubble" had all the rubber worn off and a split in the tire where the air got out.
Next - My TPMS does consist of the round sensor hanging off the stem. I can see where it has touched the wheel a bit. My truck stems are all metal and there is no evidence of movement.
I'm in the process of changing to the 16" wheels and tires. I purchased a set of the Sendel wheels and have installed metal stem already. I'm now looking at tires but don't intend to drop $1000 on a set of the Michelins. There seem to be a several good brands out there with the exact same specs at half the price. I'm still looking.
farrel509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
First question: Nature of tire failure - I don't have any pics right now but I'll post when I can take some. 60psi per AS manual on all tires. Tread separated two different ways - one bulged out the sidewall and all the others blew a bubble under the tread. At some point the bubble just split or popped and my TPMS started screaming. Each time I pulled over very quickly (envisioning the tire flying apart and causing damage) in time to hear loud hissing noises. Was it a blowout? It didn't go "bang" if that's what you mean. Each time the "bubble" had all the rubber worn off and a split in the tire where the air got out.
Next - My TPMS does consist of the round sensor hanging off the stem. I can see where it has touched the wheel a bit. My truck stems are all metal and there is no evidence of movement.
I'm in the process of changing to the 16" wheels and tires. I purchased a set of the Sendel wheels and have installed metal stem already. I'm now looking at tires but don't intend to drop $1000 on a set of the Michelins. There seem to be a several good brands out there with the exact same specs at half the price. I'm still looking.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Please get close (about 2' or so) in direct sun will give best results.
Not sure how the sensor touched the wheel if something didn't move. Are you sure the valve is properly tightened to the rim? There are torque specs but a lot og guys don't follow them.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #56
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Your Burb sensors are motion activated. The batteries are consumed only after the sensors turn on as a result of wheel rotation. I don't know if the add on TPMS systems with internal sensors are the same. My externals are on anytime air pressure is applied....so I remove them if I am stopped for more than overnight, to conserve battery life.
??? I believe the OEM sensors may wake-up with the PCM & or ECU, as I get readings with just the key on. I can program/re-set them without using the TECHII or moving, by cycling the DRL's, letting air out 'til the horn sounds and then setting TP.

I have forgot after rotation.....makes accurate readings very cornfusing.

Bob
Old 10-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #57
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
From your description, you likely had a "belt leaving belt separation", more commonly called a "tread separation".

If you had more than one, then you need to do some homework: Weigh the trailer.

Weight the trailer fully loaded - including full water tanks and everything you can possibly think of. You are looking for a worst case.

Weigh each tire individually if you can. If you can't add 10% to the axle values, and 15% if you weighed both axles together.

I think tires should NOT be loaded higher than 85% of their rated values.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #58
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
From your description, you likely had a "belt leaving belt separation", more commonly called a "tread separation".

If you had more than one, then you need to do some homework: Weigh the trailer.

Weight the trailer fully loaded - including full water tanks and everything you can possibly think of. You are looking for a worst case.

Weigh each tire individually if you can. If you can't add 10% to the axle values, and 15% if you weighed both axles together.

I think tires should NOT be loaded higher than 85% of their rated values.
I completely agree.