Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
Without going into a long dissertation, we have a 2008 Classic 25 foot FB -- After going thru 8 GYM tires I fell off the deep end and went one step higher than the Michelin MS LTX light truck tire and went with Sendel 16" T-03 wheels (I believe that is correct number) and Michelin 225-75-16 XPS Rib Light truck tire.... Can't tell you what retail should be as my brother is a huge wholesale tire dealer...I will say the peace of mind is worth the expense...especially if you plan on towing on hot roads in Florida or SW united States...I hate changing flat tires alongside interstates....

COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Originally Posted by hissilver View Post
Wow...this is confusing. What does the factory recomend?
Airstream Inc, considers the Sendel T03 16" wheels with Michelin LTX tires a premium upgrade that is available on their Eddie Bauer Edition coaches, a special build order option (additional price) and as a Service Center upgrade.

None of the other options (some of which come out to nearly the same price) have the same documented success as the Sendel T03 wheel and Michelin tire combination.

It has been documented in another thread that there are now cheap look alike Sendel wheels being manufactured that are quickly having problems. I contacted Sendel to verify the set I purchased in September are authentic. Rick Papelian, Director of Wheels, verified that is in fact an authorized dealer. He was also able to verify my purchase was fulfilled through Sendel stock. They also happen to have the best price several of us could find ($112 per wheel).

Selling the old set of wheels & tires, nearly offsets the price of the new wheels. I'm still getting PM's and emails from people asking if I have them for sale. As for the price of the tire, I'm not interested in the absolute cheapest tire I can find to run on a verify expensive Airstream, where the penalty for tire failure is very HIGH.

The NSA -- The only part of the government that listens.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I have been studying what to do when I buy my next set of tires. The Vanco2's are one the ideas I am thinking about. I too have a 25 footer. Does the 1/2" loss of height have much negative effect?
No negative effects that I have noticed. Seams to track better than the Marathons. Have not dragged the back end yet. Take a ruler out and look at what a 1/2" is. And by the way, the actual difference is a tad less than 1/2" I run these on the hot FL interstates at 75 MPH all the time.
Julia & Bob
W/ Deedee & Boo
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Originally Posted by dgray View Post
It has been interesting to read all the posts about tires but I am still confused. I have a 27' FB International CCD and I need to change all my tires before going on the road for a while this year. .................

All cleared up now
Doug & Terry
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
56 Flying Cloud
68 Tradewind
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstream offers two tire choices for your 27' trailer, the 15" Marathon, or 16" Michelin as an upgrade or standard equipment on Eddie Bauer models.

Pick one, couldn't be simpler than that.

Otherwise you'll be reading an endless variety of single experiences and quotes from tire charts of this tire manufacturer and that tire manufacturer, no positive resolution to the 15' wheel problem, and confused.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
We have been using the Michelin P235/75R x 15" XL (extra load) tires on every size Airstream for many years now. Even a fully loaded 30' classic does not overload these tires.

That I know of (and I am sure I would hear about it) none of our customers has ever had a flat with one. They stay in balance, run cool and ride very smooth and have considerably more traction in panic stops.

The advantage over the E range 16" tire is a much smoother ride in the Airstream. We have actually switched the 16" E tires on some Eddie Bauers to a softer riding tire to smooth out the ride. Most tire stores are going to be nervous putting these on trailers because they are told that trailers should have ST tires but ST tires are inferior to passenger or LT tires.

I hope this helps.
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Andrew T. with that long-term success, have you talked to the powers at Airstream about these 15" XL tires? If so, how did they respond?

I can't understand Airstream putting the more expensive 16" Michelin XLT on the Eddie Bauer, now offering them as an upgrade, and installing the at their Service Center when they could have used your recommendation. The Eddie Bauer style wheel is available in 15" or 16" size, so that's not it.

doug k
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Original tires 1972

I decided to stick with what it was engineered for and came with-Michelin radials (bottom 2nd column) '73 specs. 235/75R15 36210 Michelin LTX M/S 2 Plenty of payload for 41 year old 31'er.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Still can't find what I need

I really appreciate all the suggestions but I feel even more stuck than ever. I do not want to make the switch to 16" at this point due to extra expense and things that have to be changed. I talked to a guy at Tire Rack and he could not understand why I would want an LT instead of ST and when I explained that many others on AS forum had better experience and less problems with an LT. He recommended the Power King Tow Max 225/75/R15 Load E as the best choice for my trailer. My current tires that I got from AS are 15" load D. The RV repair man that is currently helping me with my trailer says he like ST better too and that I do not need a load E. So can someone tell me an LT tire that will work to replace an ST 225/75 R15 Load D??? All the ones that I see cannot handle this load. Please help!!!!!
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The tire sellers and RV dealers in Canada are not the individual out in the boondocks with a blown tire and side damage to the trailer. They are in business. We have a different perspective.

Experience of forum members here leans heavily to 16" wheels and Michelin tires as as reliable solution. I only bought four and kept my original spare to control cost.

doug k
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2013 28' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I am curious about how the tire dealer raised your Airstream in order to install the new wheels and tires.
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #26

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
I am curious about how the tire dealer raised your Airstream in order to install the new wheels and tires.
My monthly post of this photo....but a question well asked.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I like the idea of keeping the 15" wheels, avoiding that expense, and putting the Continental Vanco 2 tires on. I have the Vancos on my TV, for summer use, and they are great. I'm going to put them on the Airstream, too, next time around. The lower profile of the 70 series may help in getting them on, as well. The 15" 75 series tires are a tight fit through the 19' Bambi wheel openings.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Rim pressure limitations

Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Tirerack has these 15" trailer tires in load range E for $109.

Power King Towmax STR ST225/75R15

2,830 lbs at 80psi. Times 4 is 11,320 lbs vastly exceeding most Airstreams GVWR.
Keep in mind that not all of the alloy rims that came on AS TT are rated for 80 psig. My 15" alloy rims on our 30` Classic are rated at a maximum of 65psig per the AS factory.

F. A. Meloy
2006 30' Classic
Dexter hydraulic disc brake system
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote