Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #141
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,583
Images: 1
Why I deleted it. The consistency among trailer manufacturers, trailer tire manufacturers, and from our tire engineers is good enough for me. Having torn tires off of trailers (18-wheelers) it was a concern of mine from the beginning with our last SS. I'll let you all keep on.

Your truck, mine, others isn't being pushed/pulled by a long pole. That's what makes the difference.

.
__________________

__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #142
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,403
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Why I deleted it. The consistency among trailer manufacturers, trailer tire manufacturers, and from our tire engineers is good enough for me. Having torn tires off of trailers (18-wheelers) it was a concern of mine from the beginning with our last SS. I'll let you all keep on.

Your truck, mine, others isn't being pushed/pulled by a long pole. That's what makes the difference.

.
Not sure who you are addressing...or what you mean. Could you detail?
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #143
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,583
Images: 1
Tired from work. Deleted because it was leading nowhere.

Tire damage is cumulative in this instance (TT's) when pressures are not what they should be. I'll leave defining "should be" to the tire & trailer manufacturers (and the outside professionals who've commented) as good enough for me, for now.

Getting the right Load Index seems to be the problem of LT: High enough on one hand, but not too high (rough ride) on the other. I see maximum tire pressure as a given for any tire chosen, not as an option in this.

Others have different takes.

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #144
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,583
Images: 1
Tireman9 on tandem axle tire distortion
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #145
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,403
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Hmm, a convincing argument for running 80psi for my 30'er. Sorta correlates with my temp rise findings as well.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #146
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,583
Images: 1
Trailer Tire Facts - Discount Tire

Note the use of "20%" in the above. Correlates with the ideal of 15% load reserve per tire, but takes it to the vehicle whole rather than wheel-by-wheel.

As always, the problem is the word, "safe". Reducing risk, yes, eliminating it, probably not. But how far can we reduce it (the problem all of us are set to try to solve). Knowing we've gotten to 80%+ would be good. 90%, great. We already know we can't make that last 10% (all in a manner of speaking).

As a result of all this tire stuff I finally got myself a 120V 1HP/3-GL air compressor. Craftsman. Correct shape for my storage space available and any heavier would be too heavy. Just need to decide on a sub-$100 calibrated 0-100 psi tire pressure gauge next. Now I can make changes easily and accurately.

One comment I came across today (an old thread hereabouts, IIRC) is that there is a final two-pounds where (for the TV) the pressure rise takes off (a concern of racers). I'll stick with five pound increments FWIW.

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #147
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

Trailer Tire Facts - Discount Tire

.................................................. ......

.
If we are to accept everything written in that reference, then we all better be using ST tires.

From that reference:
Why Use An "ST" Tire
  • "ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
  • The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
  • The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
  • "ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.
This whole subject is beginning to take on more of the attributes of religions, than it is of science.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #148
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,403
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
If we are to accept everything written in that reference, then we all better be using ST tires.

From that reference:
Why Use An "ST" Tire
  • "ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
  • The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
  • The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
  • "ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.
This whole subject is beginning to take on more of the attributes of religions, than it is of science.

Ken
Not religion for me, I am looking to physics and actual numbers (loads vs. pressure rise, etc.)
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #149
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,583
Images: 1
This whole subject is beginning to take on more of the attributes of religions, than it is of science.

Digging for details ain't theology. If there is consistency about tires (weight ratings, pressure recommendations, etc) then questions about which tire is "best" changes nothing on how to use it. Two separate questions.

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #150
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
This whole subject is beginning to take on more of the attributes of religions, than it is of science.

Digging for details ain't theology. If there is consistency about tires (weight ratings, pressure recommendations, etc) then questions about which tire is "best" changes nothing on how to use it. Two separate questions.

.
I wasn't directing that at you, though I see that it looked like it. I am talking about those that when confronted with documentation and opinions from experts, still choose to disregard all that and stick with their original beliefs.

The proper approach is, as you say, to search for facts to base an independent conclusion on. Unfortunately, that is being thwarted by our litigation happy society. It has made all those that have the in depth knowledge necessary to arrive at a common sense solution paranoid to share it. They are quite justified in believing some fool will do something entirely stupid and then sue them because they didn't publish enough "Warnings to Morons" on the product.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #151
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,403
Images: 5
Ah, I get 'cha now, Ken.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #152
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Ah, I get 'cha now, Ken.
Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say.

I firmly agree that getting the numbers and then understanding how to use them is the key to most physical problems including what tire to use and how to use it.

The difficulty here is separating what the experts and manufacturers are telling us because it is a proven fact from what they are telling us because they are afraid of liability or what they are telling us because of the profit margins.

I'm thinking November may turn out to be my personal month of cynicism.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #153
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,583
Images: 1
And I didn't take it personally. Maybe if I was Bibeau in an alternate universe . . . .

And profits + litigation-fear hampers free speech. That is the result of a society dominated not by government [us], but by corporations. It is up to us to report to NHTSA tire failures that a record can be made (details provided by both tire engineers on how and where [insight] to making such).

The pursuit is worth the trouble in this, the subject of this thread.

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #154
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,429
Images: 8
Wow. Ok, for those that still have the trailer tires; I have Tomax 15" D Rated tires that have a 65psi maximum cold pressure on the side of the tire. According to Mojo, I am to inflate them to 65psi. Sounds logical. I decided to go to 60psi. I want to make sure that I do not over inflate them because of temperature. Also, with vehicles I have always used the vehicle sticker which is always lower than the maximum on the tire. Does Airstream have a psi/tire sticker that I am missing?
__________________

__________________
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safe Tire Pressure Morgan guy Tires 165 01-10-2013 01:49 PM
02/12: New Tire Discussion on Woodalls: LT versus ST and more. slowmover Tires 128 04-10-2012 06:09 PM
Putting a safe in 2012 27' FB Int Jordanparson General Interior Topics 5 02-24-2012 11:33 PM
Bolt pattern & tire size for 68' Ambassador silverwoman Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 3 02-16-2012 10:36 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.