Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Finally, a rational approach.
Where did you see that, Wayne&Sam? The two links I just read were commercials for companies selling equipment to put nitrogen into tires. All I saw there was their opinion.

Or did I miss something?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Ken
All you have to do is add a second valve stem 180 degrees and use it as a vent for several seconds.. I wonder what color it should be, then you don't have to deflate the tire 5 or 6 times to get there. To make this pay off I think you would need to go get a $60 regulator and rent a bottle of gas for a year. Nitrogen is $14 for 225 cu ft @around 2300# $6. per month bottle rent.

At $10 a tire you can invest $80 dollars (regulator and Gas) and clear $1000+. I could be a little off just guessed 2 cu ft. per tire. Don't think my conscience could ever justify charging $30.

The science may be there but the application sucks. I noticed the efficiency drops off a lot if you check your tire pressure often.

HYDROGEN-Don't try this at home The flammability limits (4-75% of hydrogen in air at normal temperature, wider at high temperatures[12]), its autoignition temperature at 571°C, its very low minimum ignition energy, and its tendency to form explosive mixtures with air, require provisions to be made for maintaining the hydrogen content within the generator above the upper or below the flammability limit at all times, and other hydrogen safety measures. When filled with hydrogen, overpressure has to be maintained as inlet of air into the generator could cause a dangerous explosion in confined space. The generator enclosure is purged before opening it for maintenance, and before refilling the generator with hydrogen. During shutdown, hydrogen is purged by an inert gas, then the inert gas is replaced by air; the opposite sequence is used before startup. Carbon dioxide or nitrogen can be used for this purpose, as they do not form combustible mixtures with hydrogen and are inexpensive. Gas purity sensors are used to indicate the end of the purging cycle, which shortens the startup and shutdown times and reduces consumption of the purging gas. Carbon dioxide is favored as due to very high density difference it is easily displaced by hydrogen.

Wes
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
I'm not going to believe that it makes the tires run cooler without hard evidence.
I don't have the data or the intelligence to prove or disprove that ... but wouldn't you generally agree that larger molecules help to hold proper tire pressure and that properly inflated tires run cooler than under inflated tires?
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmith View Post
Ken

HYDROGEN-Don't try this at home The flammability limits (4-75% of hydrogen in air at normal temperature, wider at high temperatures[12]), its autoignition temperature at 571°C, its very low minimum ignition energy, and its tendency to form explosive mixtures with air, require provisions to be made for maintaining the hydrogen content within the generator above the upper or below the flammability limit at all times, and other hydrogen safety measures. When filled with hydrogen, overpressure has to be maintained as inlet of air into the generator could cause a dangerous explosion in confined space. The generator enclosure is purged before opening it for maintenance, and before refilling the generator with hydrogen. During shutdown, hydrogen is purged by an inert gas, then the inert gas is replaced by air; the opposite sequence is used before startup. Carbon dioxide or nitrogen can be used for this purpose, as they do not form combustible mixtures with hydrogen and are inexpensive. Gas purity sensors are used to indicate the end of the purging cycle, which shortens the startup and shutdown times and reduces consumption of the purging gas. Carbon dioxide is favored as due to very high density difference it is easily displaced by hydrogen.

Wes
Shucks, I don't do any of this scientific safety stuff.

I did put up a no smoking sign though. That was mainly because I don't like the smell of tobacky.

I also have mattresses on the ground around the work area, so that I will have a soft landing if it all goes up.

Remember: safety is next to cleanliness (I don't much go for that either though)

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Where did you see that, Wayne&Sam? The two links I just read were commercials for companies selling equipment to put nitrogen into tires. All I saw there was their opinion.

Or did I miss something?
I wasn't fast enough and I usually don't use emoticons when I should. I was referring to w7ts and the hydrogen idea.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Measure the temperature and you will see a difference, as we have done.

Andy
That's what I was hoping Andy would post.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I wasn't fast enough and I usually don't use emoticons when I should. I was referring to w7ts and the hydrogen idea.
Actually, when I first read your reply it was immediately after w7ts'. Later I came back and Andy's posts were between yours and w7ts', leaving yours out of context.

It's not the first time I've seen posts appear later between ones that were already there.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I can see going to a rally and someone bringing a commercial bottle or nitrogen and having a cool air party and just charging for the expenses possibly being in the future.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #49
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
What I gathered from Andy's two links is that because nitrogen is found in its larger N2 molecule form it will leak from the tires much more slowly. It is the maintenance of proper tire pressure that makes tires run cooler, not any magical property of one gas over another.

So - check your tire pressures regularly and gain the same benefit as pure N2.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #50
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
... but wouldn't you generally agree that larger molecules help to hold proper tire pressure and that properly inflated tires run cooler than under inflated tires?
The molecular diameter of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide are about the same, all around 4 Angstroms, depending on how they are measured. The mixture of gasses doesn't change much as a result of leakage.

Besides, if only the oxygen leaked out, you would rapidly end up with a 95%+ nitrogen-filled tire after topping off the air once or twice.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i figure that the more my tires leak oxygen the more nitrogen i have in them ;-)

i'm starting a nitrogen filling service. come to me and i'll fill your tires with nitrogen. the $29.99 per tire will automatically be billed monthly to your credit card ;-)

now who is going to go around to verify that you're actually getting what you're paying for. come and get your green valve caps right here.

will warranties also include refilling the nitrogen?

gee, if only they'd build tires that held air!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer

The molecular diameter of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide are about the same, all around 4 Angstroms, depending on how they are measured.
Ok, now you are officially talking way over my head! Regardless, I personally believe that Nitrogen holds pressure better based on personal experience. Also, I think Nitrogen leaking slower relates to "permeation" qualities that are greater than air (Yes, Nitrogen is relevantly "larger" than air when it comes to leaking through a tire) ... when I Google the subject I get pointed-headed stuff like this link to an explanation of Graham's Law (which makes my head hurt but supports my assertion) http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

Jammer, thanks for all the dialogue ... I find it fun to explore these topics!
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
So - check your tire pressures regularly if n2 or air and gain benefit.
Fixed ...and I'll just change my tires every year or three like I always have and not worry about oxidation, condensation, etc.

I found the links lacking in any concrete information other than "tires properly inflated work better". Im disapponted that vendors push this bad science.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
The following is a definitive article on Nitrogen in tires......it appeared this morning in the RV Travel Newsletter, which is a free online publication each Sat.......enjoy!

RV Tire Safety: Inflate with Nitrogen and there will be MAGIC
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
The following is a definitive article on Nitrogen in tires......it appeared this morning in the RV Travel Newsletter, which is a free online publication each Sat.......enjoy!

RV Tire Safety: Inflate with Nitrogen and there will be MAGIC
I think this article is spot on.

I am disappointed however that they did not do a side by side comparison with my hydrogen filled concept.

Ken
Old 04-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
green caps & helium

We monitor our tire pressures each towing day. We read all four trailer tires before starting the drive and every half-hour or so during the drive. Our tires pressures increase by 5-8 psi from 60 psi starting. We don't need to improve on this condition, it's working just as expected.

Yeah, our tires pressures vary with ambient temperature. So what? We have a compressor, a gauge, and tpms. If the cold starting pressure is below 55 we'll add air -- happens rarely to us. The cold starting pressure has never exceeded 65 in seven years.

It really doesn't seem to matter what or whether N2 does for our tires. We're only keeping them five to six years, we monitor them a whole lot better than most motorists even watch their own car tires. N2 for trailer tires is a solution looking for a problem.

I would like green caps, though. Maybe I can just swap with some sports car in the car park. Will they think someone took their N2 too?

Ken, wouldn't helium be almost as fun as H? Maybe easier to obtain, still lowers the total unit weight, plus you could have fun at campfires sucking it in and talking the duck voice.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
We monitor our tire pressures each towing day. We read all four trailer tires before starting the drive and every half-hour or so during the drive. Our tires pressures increase by 5-8 psi from 60 psi starting. We don't need to improve on this condition, it's working just as expected.

Yeah, our tires pressures vary with ambient temperature. So what? We have a compressor, a gauge, and tpms. If the cold starting pressure is below 55 we'll add air -- happens rarely to us. The cold starting pressure has never exceeded 65 in seven years.

It really doesn't seem to matter what or whether N2 does for our tires. We're only keeping them five to six years, we monitor them a whole lot better than most motorists even watch their own car tires. N2 for trailer tires is a solution looking for a problem.

I would like green caps, though. Maybe I can just swap with some sports car in the car park. Will they think someone took their N2 too?

Ken, wouldn't helium be almost as fun as H? Maybe easier to obtain, still lowers the total unit weight, plus you could have fun at campfires sucking it in and talking the duck voice.
Actually, Hyodrogen can be quite entertaining around the campfire.

Take turns taking a deep breath of it, and then see if you can exhale directly into the fire quickly enough to escape injury. I recommend going last.

Ken
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Consumer Reports says their tests show that nitro is a waste of money. My local Chevy/Caddy dealer puts nitro in everything on their lots as a way of up selling. My original tires came with nitro and three years and 42k later, they're doing fine. Not sure I'll put nitro into the replacements unless the shop throws it in at no cost. I do like the stability of tire pressures on towing days with big elevation and temperature changes.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #59
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
A good deal if it is free. There are benefits when using Nitrogen but not enough if you have to pay for it. A tire store chain (can't recall the name) checks my tires and refills with Nitrogen for free.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #60
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
How about some facts:

Barry's Tire Tech
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote