Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Eddie Bauer AS uses Michelin Tires?

I read that the new Eddie Bauer Airstream uses "oversized Michelin Tires".
Michelin Tires | RVbasics News and Eddie Bauer Airstream

Anybody know which tires these are, what are their weight ratings and are they suitable for other Airstreams (will they fit other AS models)?

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Looks to be a Load range E, 16" from this web site Colonial Airstream - New 2011 Airstream Eddie Bauer Limited Edition Travel Trailer. BTW nice looking wheels on the rig.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Chris Burch at Airstream told me they were Michelin M/S LTX LT225/75 R16, Load Range E. The wheels are styled aluminum 16". The Airstream dealership in Alachua, Florida tells me they are about $1800 for 5 inclusive of tax, shipping, balancing, etc, etc. Most Airstreams have adequate clearance for the change from 15" to 16".
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Thanks.

That is exactly the information I was hoping for.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
28CCD,

Those styled aluminum 16" wheels sure look like Tredit T03 wheels which are actually Sendel wheels that Tredit distributes. The wheels that some have had done at the service center look like Tredit TR4 Mod wheels.

Rant mode on. No carpet is a build option. Why aren't 16" wheels a build option? It seems so lame to have to take the Airstream over to the service side to swap out wheels or do it when the Airstream is delivered. Why aren't Disc Brakes a build option on the Classics? I believe the service side now uses Dexter actuators with Kodiak discs. It is a waste of money to redo things that should be options.

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I've experienced my third tread separation using Marathons ... two of those separations resulted in $2000+ in damage each. I know this is a hot topic on here and I'm not really wanting to participate in a tire debate. However, I have decided to convert to Michelin and 16" wheels. My wheels will be the exact same wheels that came from the factory on my 2004 International CCD ... they'll just be 16" instead of 15". I am not certain of what wheels are on the Eddie Bauer ... that's just how Chris Burch phrased it to me (as best I recall ... I was more focused on the tire specs than the rims). I'll try to get specifications from JD Sanders in Alachua, Florida regarding the 16" wheels I'm getting.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We bought the 16" wheels from the service center at Airstream. Since the OEM wheels looked bad—the clear coat was coming off—we worked out a deal. I picked up the same Michelins at Discount Tires in Dayton that Airstream is using now. They only offered Goodrich Wranglers when I did this. Airstream mounted and balanced the Michelins for me and took the Marathons off our hands.

I don't remember the exact price of anything, but it was several hundred less than that Florida dealer wants. Part of the difference is I got a good deal on the wheels.

My advice is to find a good discount tire dealer and they should be able to get the proper wheels—make sure they are 0˚ offset for recent Airstreams. They will get you a better price on the tires and wheels. Since we made the change, we are happy with the performance of the tires and the wheels still look good. They are a lot easier to clean than the spoke wheels. The style is that used on more expensive Airstreams from time to time.

See the photo below.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	378.5 KB
ID:	118912  
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
We bought the 16" wheels from the service center at Airstream. Since the OEM wheels looked bad—the clear coat was coming off—we worked out a deal. I picked up the same Michelins at Discount Tires in Dayton that Airstream is using now. They only offered Goodrich Wranglers when I did this. Airstream mounted and balanced the Michelins for me and took the Marathons off our hands.

I don't remember the exact price of anything, but it was several hundred less than that Florida dealer wants. Part of the difference is I got a good deal on the wheels.

My advice is to find a good discount tire dealer and they should be able to get the proper wheels—make sure they are 0˚ offset for recent Airstreams. They will get you a better price on the tires and wheels. Since we made the change, we are happy with the performance of the tires and the wheels still look good. They are a lot easier to clean than the spoke wheels. The style is that used on more expensive Airstreams from time to time.

See the photo below.

Gene
You've done exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I also see you might have monitors. I could save a couple hundred piece-meal ... but I left my Airstream 500 miles away near my incident and think I'm okay with what they are charging for five wheels/tires, inclusive of labor, tax, shipping, etc, etc. Yours look great! BTW, my family was in the trailer parts, service and repair business before my father retired ... what you've done will make your trailer safer to tow. Thank you for sharing pictures and info.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yes, 28', we have a TPMS system and you can see the sensors (monitors). We also have Centramatics to provide better wheel balancing.

Gene
Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
saw one sitting in the Jackson center store a couple of days ago. Had a 16 inch wheel with michlen and a 16 inch wheel with Goodyear Wrangler. I think one was $331, the other $313.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

See the photo below.

Gene
What air pressure do you run at with your wheel/tire combination and do you have your axle weights on your trailer? I am contemplating going to 16s as I need new tires anyway, but need to gather some additional info.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Greeting, sort of neighbor (75 miles):

The maximum GVWR of our trailer is 7,300 lbs. Thus 1,825/wheel.

Your Excella has the same GVWR.

After looking at tables, I came to the conclusion 68 lbs. was proper for each tire.

Airstream put in the maximum the tire can hold—80—but I reduced it. To me that's like loading your truck to the max because you can.

There are several sites where you can find how much a specific size and type of tire can support for different pressures. Tire Rack has a lot of information on their website.

Gene
Old 01-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Greeting, sort of neighbor (75 miles):

The maximum GVWR of our trailer is 7,300 lbs. Thus 1,825/wheel.

Your Excella has the same GVWR.

After looking at tables, I came to the conclusion 68 lbs. was proper for each tire.

Airstream put in the maximum the tire can hold—80—but I reduced it. To me that's like loading your truck to the max because you can.

There are several sites where you can find how much a specific size and type of tire can support for different pressures. Tire Rack has a lot of information on their website.

Gene
Crawford, gateway to the Black Canyon north rim, driven it a few times...nice!
I'll check the sites and tks for your conclusion
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Just to follow-up, in January I paid JD Sanders in Alachua, FL $338.67 total for each tire/wheel inclusive of tax, shipping, balancing, etc. Total for 5 was $1693.35.

Gene, thanks for the posts and pictures that helped me make this decision ... I'm really pleased. Also, thanks for the tire pressure info.

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums
Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
new 28 international...16" wheels/michelins

i am trying to order a trailer through CCII in buda, tx and talking about 16" up grades with michelins and

number 1...they seem to indicate one needs different axles than with the 15" wheels that come standard?????????????????????

number 2 quoted me $4.673.oo

any thoughts
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
i am trying to order a trailer through CCII in buda, tx and talking about 16" up grades with michelins and

number 1...they seem to indicate one needs different axles than with the 15" wheels that come standard?????????????????????

any thoughts
If you did pay that much, be SURE that you retain the originals to sell and recoup some cash (it seems like you're not inclined to pay it, and I'd agree.) They're either trying to discourage you from making the change, trying to make money on both ends of the transaction or both.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
no way

but does it really require an axle change???????
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post

any thoughts
Lots of thoughts—

If you need upgraded axles, why did Airstream's service dep't install 16" wheels and tires on my trailer without telling me I needed new axles? They have done the same for quite a few other Forum members without recommending changing axles.

If the cost was really four dollars and 63 cents, I'd take it, but I think you hit the period key instead of the comma.

Part of that quote was for axles I assume. Did they break it down for the price of wheels and tires?

I'd think seriously about going to another dealer.

Gene
Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
FWIW, I called Airstream and Dexter both about the axels on my 2004 28' CCD. They both said there is no reason for me to change axels. Actually, Dexter "chuckled" and said my axels were more than adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote from the Mothership this past week for 16" wheel AND Michelin 225/75/16E tire upgrade is $329 plus tax, per wheel/tire combo, installed.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote