Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
New Tires

I'm new to the forum and Airstream. Just purchased a 2002 22' International CCD. IT HAS THE ORIGINAL GOODYEAR MARATHON TIRES! Looking for new tires and finding that the replacement Goodyear Marathons have mixed reviews on the forums and are roughly $120 each. Other non-GY tires are roughly $80-85 each. Are the GY tires that much better despite the negative reviews?
badib-yazdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
I don't think we have enough information to determine how good a particular brand of tires is. The Goodyear Marathons represent a HUGE portion of the market - so all things being equal, you'd expect those to be complained about more often.

What we do know is that travel trailers tend to have tires that are too small. The way to tell is to weigh the trailer - tire by tire - then size the tire to be loaded to 85% of its rated capacity.

For many, this is 2 steps higher - and sometimes that means exchanging 15" wheels for 16", and making the switch from an ST tire to an LT.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Exclamation

Replace those tires, even new Goodyear's are better.

My Dad had two blow outs on GYM. Heavily damaging his bass boat, and the other totaling his vintage Shasta.

I would have anything other than a Goodyear. IMO.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
My father grew up on a farm before tractors was a chemical engineer who worked for Gates Rubber product improvement and an avid RVer. On his towables he used STs, any ST that was cheap since he'd replace them every 3-4 years. Never had any tire problems.
We do similarly and also have had no problems, cheapos for ~$55 each.
Do what you will with that.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 AM   #5
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks for the feedback! I agree with as many Marathon sets on the market it would have more complaints. I also figure many are not checking their pressure often enough. Definitely getting new tires. And replacing them every 5 years seems prudent.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:26 AM   #6
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Yeah I did not mention the wheels are 14R which is a limiting factor in tire selection. And the GVWR is 5300 lbs tandem axle.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I don't think we have enough information to determine how good a particular brand of tires is. The Goodyear Marathons represent a HUGE portion of the market - so all things being equal, you'd expect those to be complained about more often.

What we do know is that travel trailers tend to have tires that are too small. The way to tell is to weigh the trailer - tire by tire - then size the tire to be loaded to 85% of its rated capacity.

For many, this is 2 steps higher - and sometimes that means exchanging 15" wheels for 16", and making the switch from an ST tire to an LT.

What Capri said x2
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote