Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
What does AS have to loose if there are issues? Are they going to pay for repairs? Your insurance will pay AS.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Upon closer inspection of your link, the tire diameters listed are for the large buses, very few if any towable RV trailers use tires with wheels larger than 16" in diameter.
I understand. Which means Michelin does not manufacture tires for OUR RVs. We have chosen to use tires designed for other applications. Yet they make RV tires. Not in our size. Why not then select a tire manufacturer that does make RV tires in our size?
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #83
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Why Michelin? Because they do recall when they have a problem, because they do redesign and improve, because they are built to a higher standard than ST tires, and because I have never had a Michelin failure. Anecdotal, but valid. Your money, your anecdote. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, I hate to sound like a contrarian, but Goodyear has also recalled tires

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/recall

and I have never had a Goodyear tire failure. I did have a Michelin "failure", but it might have to do with me running over some concrete debris on the road. That doesn't count. Any brand of tire would have shredded just the same.

I don't mean to discount the negative Goodyear experiences many on this forum have had. Blowouts are blowouts. What I am saying is I would like to see some hard data before jumping on the bandwagon. And it would be nice if Michelin actually made tires for my RV rather than me picking light truck tires and making the decision that they are ok for my RV.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:43 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Having many people on this forum give testimonials about Goodyear Marathon failures isn't hard data?
No, a government agency has not printed data to my knowledge, but that isn't necessary.
Carlisle tires are just as bad if not worse.
ST tires in general are inferior junk made in China.
They are the lowest quality tires there are.
You can use ST tires if you want to.
Nobody is stopping you.
Just saying.
No more ST tires for me-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Talked to a person selling and mfg trailers the other day. These were from uhaul types to car haulers. He stated any trailer used around town and short trips were fitted with ST tires, any used for over the road use were refitted with LT tires. Too many failures and problems with ST, costing them money. It was cheaper to just put the LT tires on first before the problems. Convinced me!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Liberty Corner , New Jersey
"Upon closer inspection of your link, the tire diameters listed are for the large buses, very few if any towable RV trailers use tires with wheels larger than 16" in diameter"

This is true. AS appears to be no better than the SOB trailers in that they have not advanced their trailer designs to bring them up to the realities of roads and tires of this century. The tire industry appears to have numerous options in the larger diameter tires. It should not be hard for AS to make some changes to the wheel wells and adjust the floor cabinetry to allow the larger tires to fit. When you don't care about the engineering required to make sound decisions, style design changes are easy.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
These larger tires are usually applied to motorhomes, not travel trailers. If the ads say rv they are often talking about a motorhome not a trailer. Do you really want the profile of your AS changed to accommodate these much larger tires!? Just change to 16 inch LT tires.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Apache Junction , Arizona
These larger diameter tires have a much higher load capacity which would mean a hard stiff ride for a light weight trailer. I for one would not wish to be living with a rivet gun in hand after towing.

Some of the 40 foot and longer fifth wheels might be able to use these larger tires, but then the trailer will be higher probably causing stability problems in strong cross winds.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #90
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Having many people on this forum give testimonials about Goodyear Marathon failures isn't hard data?

The evidence presented is empirical, observational and compelling, but not statistically significant.

Now before anybody gets excited, please know that despite this our new tires this year will *not* be ST tires. We're planning to stay with 15" rims and hope to be early adopters of the new Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 235/75R15 109T. Michelin has been saying the equivalent of "next month" since late March, so now we're crossing our fingers for June. Failing that, we'll go with the older Michelin LTX M/S2 in 235/75R15 108T, for which members have reported great results.

Bottom line, we're dumping the ST tires after riding on them for a couple of years with no real issues. Even so, a new set of Michelins costs less than the potential damage of a catastrophic tread-separated blow out. Cheap insurance.

Besides, I'm not a statistician.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I appreciate your feedback. In reading some other posts, you would think Michelin's were indestructible and never blow out. I take forum feedback like that with a grain of salt. Tires are tires. Yes, some are better than others, but they are all made of rubber and they can all fail.

Let us know which ones you end up going with and what your opinion is. Although statistically not significant, your opinion matters ... to me.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #92
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
My advise to anyone purchasing a new or used Airstream from a dealer is that they agree to swap the GYM with Michelins as part of the deal. Why buy a new unit and subject yourself to all the hassle a GYM tire failure could cause.
The arrogance of Airstream management regarding these tire issues is deeply disturbing. For what we pay for these units not only should we get the best possible tires on the market they should come on gold plated rims.
Another option is to ask for something like 3 year warranty on tires against failure for any reason. If AS feels the tires they are supplying are "First Class" as they will tell you the TT is then there is no reason for not offering a "First Class" warranty.

100% coverage warranty is available in aftermarket so this request would be completely in line with having a First Class RV.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #93
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Now that's an interesting point, Switz. If I'm not mistaken, the tire engineers here stress that the GYMs (or any ST) should NEVER be driven above 65mph and any time spent over that limit will damage the tire to some extent. If that's true, then a buyer on a coast who had his trailer jockeyed in from Ohio over 65mph might experience premature failure on the GYMs even if s/he is vigilant in proper inflation and speed!

You are correct. Tire damage is cumulative and any damage, even microscopic, will never repair itself but just grow till its "too big to not fail"
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #94
Rivet Master

Just Old School

I don't seem to have any of the problems everyone else seems to have. Guess I'm still living in the past by running the old 7.00-15 Highway Bias-Ply LT by "Power King' tires. I like the stiff sidewalls (less sway) and if they come apart, you don't have a steel belted chain saw hacking up the side of your trailer causing thousands of dollars in damage. Plus, on the old trailers you need a nice tall/thin tire to boot, hard to fit to wide radials up under those dog houses. They maybe "Cheap China" tires, but they have never done me wrong.

Run them at max pressure and the never heat up.

http://www.powerkingtires.com/Tires/...t%20Truck/1612

Enjoy,
Old 05-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #95
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
If 100 people on this forum have the same experience, it must have merit.
I recently read about the cascade of misinformation resulting in a medical consensus in favor of low fat diets for cardiac health. If so-called research can get it completely wrong, how can you still bank on this forum establishing scientific fact based on no particular methodology?

Michael
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In our area ( Mesa, AZ), the Discount Tire store has the new 15" Michelin "Defender" series in stock.

The 17" Michelin LT265/70R17E tires that came on my 2012 Ram 2500HD have been "upgraded" to the "Defender" name as well.

I base my tire purchase decision on my experience of never having a Michelin tire failure in over 45 years of using their tires of various diameters on my cars, trucks and trailers.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #97
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Thank you, Switz. We'll re-check with our local DT guys to see what new availability info they can provide.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Check the actual date code on the tires. Tires are probably 3 years. 5 years or cracks for me on a trailer that gets pulled much.
This is very helpful, Bill! I had just been wondering when I needed to change tires. My AS Safari 28' has 16-inch Michelins and have put almost 12,000 miles on them with no mishaps ... knock on wood! We're doing a road trip from Alaska to the Pacific Northwest and back home before snowfall ... am thinking a total of 10,000 more miles for a total of 22,000. This is their third year, and hope I have a couple more. Thanks again!!
borealis2013 is offline   Reply With Quote